Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I caught this snake in my backyard a couple of hours ago. I already took it to a wooded area and let it loose.

Can anyone I.D it for me? I thought it was a bit large for a common grass snake (~3 ft.), and I wonder about the stripe going down it's back.

When I let it loose, it took off pretty quick, but then it stopped and turned back at me and raised it's head like it was going to strike. :eek:

Snake

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do you live? Looks like a checkered garter snake... those are mostly in Calfornia and the rest of the southwest. And yeah, they do have a tendency to attempt to look mean but they're really not. :D

...at least it's not a dozen pictures of a "one-eyed trouser snake". I wouldn't put it past some Forumites to post something like that.....

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Thanks for the info Lee. I did a Google on checkered garter snake, and it does look very similar to the snake that I had here. I haven't been able to find out if they are poisonous though(?). I'm in Texas, btw... Thanks again!

There aren't many poisonous snakes in the US - not compared to the number of non-poisonous. It is horrifying to look at. Sure looks to be a Garter, but the head shape is a little disheartening. Be cautious.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

That was a version of the garter snake family....

Just a suggestion, if you don't know what kind of snake it is you're better off not picking it up. This, from someone who does pick up the occasional snake, himself.

Quick story made the news down here a few years back: Woman sees multi-colored snake on her porch. Thinks her husband would like it as a gift since it looks like a king snake. She picks it up. It bites her. Turns out to be a deadly coral snake. Woman spends weeks in the hospital recovering. She almost dies.

Moral of the story: if you're not 100% sure what kind of snake it is, leave it alone. Even better, leave it alone anyway.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - if it looks like a duck, walks like a chicken, and howls like a wolf, I don\'t know what the hell it is.

My cousin, Mark, when he was about 13, picked up a cottonmouth (water moccasin) to twirl it around and snap his head off. Sure. It bit him. He got real sick. One year later, same thing, copperhead. Bit him. Almost lost a finger, stayed in hospital several days. He doesn't use snakes as bullwhips anymore. Poor snakes. I don't bother them. They're just trying to survive.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by NE-One:

There aren't many poisonous snakes in the US - not compared to the number of non-poisonous. It is horrifying to look at.

I don't understand why so many people think snakes are horrifying to look at. :( I wish more people took the time to learn more about the animals and plants we share the planet with. A little understanding goes a long way.

Sure looks to be a Garter, but the head shape is a little disheartening.
It's definitely a garter, the only question in my mind was which variety.

Venomous snakes in the U.S. are very easy to identify because they're all part of the same family (pit vipers). Rattlesnakes, sidewinders, copperheads and cottonmouths are all pit vipers. You can recognize a viper by the shape of their pupils, which are a vertical ellipse, almost a diamond shape. They also have a small pit between the eyes and nostrils.

If you see a snake with round pupils, it's non venomous. That makes it easy. The SOLE exception to this rule in the U.S. is the coral snake. This is the snake with the red, black and yellow bands, which is often mistaken for the harmless kingsnake. You CAN tell them apart but it's more difficult - so I'd suggest leaving a black, red and yellow snake alone. :D Otherwise, round pupil = OK, diamond pupil = stay away.

If you do see a venomous snake, just get away from it. Don't try to kill it - more people get bitten trying to kill venomous snakes than if they just encounter them randomly (like Duke's example). Rattlesnakes are generally non aggressive and will shake their rattles and look mean just to scare you off. Walk away from them, don't bother 'em and they won't bother you. Cottonmouths and copperheads can be more aggressive, and I'd run, not walk, away from them! If you have them in or around your home/yard, call a professional to get rid of them.

In general, snakes are a vital part of the ecosystem and will do you way more good than harm. The smaller ones eat mosquitoes, flies and other disease carrying insects, and the larger ones eat rodents. People's fear of snakes is largely responsible for there being too many insects and rodents and not enough snakes. The vast majority of snakes in the U.S. are harmless to humans and fun to have around. If you just take a few minutes to learn to identify the few that can hurt you, you can enjoy the rest of them without fear.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by NE-One:

There aren't many poisonous snakes in the US - not compared to the number of non-poisonous. It is horrifying to look at.

I don't understand why so many people think snakes are horrifying to look at. :( I wish more people took the time to learn more about the animals and plants we share the planet with. A little understanding goes a long way.

Sure looks to be a Garter, but the head shape is a little disheartening.
It's definitely a garter, the only question in my mind was which variety.

Venomous snakes in the U.S. are very easy to identify because they're all part of the same family (pit vipers). Rattlesnakes, sidewinders, copperheads and cottonmouths are all pit vipers. You can recognize a viper by the shape of their pupils, which are a vertical ellipse, almost a diamond shape. They also have a small pit between the eyes and nostrils.

If you see a snake with round pupils, it's non venomous. That makes it easy. The SOLE exception to this rule in the U.S. is the coral snake. This is the snake with the red, black and yellow bands, which is often mistaken for the harmless kingsnake. You CAN tell them apart but it's more difficult - so I'd suggest leaving a black, red and yellow snake alone. :D Otherwise, round pupil = OK, diamond pupil = stay away.

If you do see a venomous snake, just get away from it. Don't try to kill it - more people get bitten trying to kill venomous snakes than if they just encounter them randomly (like Duke's example). Rattlesnakes are generally non aggressive and will shake their rattles and look mean just to scare you off. Walk away from them, don't bother 'em and they won't bother you. Cottonmouths and copperheads can be more aggressive, and I'd run, not walk, away from them! If you have them in or around your home/yard, call a professional to get rid of them.

In general, snakes are a vital part of the ecosystem and will do you way more good than harm. The smaller ones eat mosquitoes, flies and other disease carrying insects, and the larger ones eat rodents. People's fear of snakes is largely responsible for there being too many insects and rodents and not enough snakes. The vast majority of snakes in the U.S. are harmless to humans and fun to have around. If you just take a few minutes to learn to identify the few that can hurt you, you can enjoy the rest of them without fear.

Lee, when I was a kid I was all over snakes - loved 'em, had 'em as pets (including a 4' Bull). Then something happened - I can't recall what it was, but now I am TERRIFIED of snakes. My fear is bad to the point where even a snake-like stick in the road when I'm driving causes a nearly uncontrollable fear and panic. I can not explain it and I do NOT want to know what happened to cause it in the first place.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by F7sound -:

Quick story made the news down here a few years back: Woman sees multi-colored snake on her porch. Thinks her husband would like it as a gift since it looks like a king snake. She picks it up. It bites her. Turns out to be a deadly coral snake. Woman spends weeks in the hospital recovering. She almost dies.

Yeah, like I said, don't pick up the banded snakes. :D A few things I didn't mention about coral snakes: they are pretty rare and are not aggressive. If you leave them alone they won't try to bite you. Although the coral snake does have round pupils unlike all the other poisonous species in the U.S., you can tell it apart from its mimics because it 1) has a black snout (the kingsnakes have red snouts) and 2) the pattern of its bands goes yellow-red-yellow or yellow-black-yellow. If a black band appears next to a red band, it's not a coral.

As for (non venomous) kingsnakes there are a lot of different types. The scarlet kingsnake is the one that most commonly gets mistaken for a coral snake. Funny thing about kingsnakes: they can and do eat venomous snakes including coral snakes. :D

Here are some coral snakes:

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/coral2.jpg

Here is a common eastern kingsnake - note that it doesn't have the bands:

http://jajhs.kana.k12.wv.us/vwv/animal/rep_amph/easternkingsnake1.jpg

Here's the scarlet kingsnake, the one that gets mistaken for the coral:

http://www.uga.edu/srel/Graphics/snake1.jpg

http://www.uga.edu/srel/Graphics/snake3.jpg

Yeah, I thought this was gonna be a "Pro-Co vs. Whirlwind" thread or something.

The old saying "Black on yellow will kill a fellow" holds true about telling the banding pattern differences between coral and king snakes, so I've heard.

I used to catch a lot of garter snakes. That said, they bite. Any snake will. No, they're not poisonous, but they do bite. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Here in Missouri, we've got a lot of timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. Not too fond of either one...and most certainly not about to do my Steve Irwin impersonation... :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Uh, Tedster, ya got it backwards.

It's "Red & yellow, kill a fellow. Red & black, friend of Jack"

I used to keep a red rat snake (or Corn snake) like this one...

http://www.lhs.berkeley.edu/Biolab/images/cornsnake.jpg

as a pet. Bit me twice, both times it was my fault. Had to give her away, because I was moving from North Dakota in the winter, and she wouldn't have survived the trip. :cry:

I like snakes. My dad taught me about them at a young age. After looking at the head of the snake in question, and without doing any other research, I'd have to agree that it was a garter snake, and not venomous. (I've been bitten by a garter snake, too. Guess I should be more careful when handling wild snakes, eh?)

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Actually, I reckon they're both correct...

"Black ON yellow will kill a fellow". Look at the coral snake pics. The bands look like a black band on a wider yellow band. Black on yellow. Now look at the king snake (which also has red)...a wide black band with a yellow stripe on it...yellow ON black...no problem.

Although actually it could go either way, as red to yellow would indicate a coral snake. Red to black would be a king snake. So, I reckon we're both right. I guess I just heard a different (but not necessarily wrong) version.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

We have one of the same variety as your pics hanging around our house - I saw it by our front door just a couple of days ago. Harmless. They do tend to raise their head up when they sense intruders coming near - sort of a "warning" movement, I guess.

Lee knows what she's talking about. Snakes really prefer to be left alone except for an occasional crazy cottonmouth.

The first thing that's easy to notice about a snake is the head shape. The pit vipers have a triangular head that bulges out from the body a bit.

There was a tarantula on our back patio a couple of months ago. I trapped him in a box and let him loose at the far back of our lot. The kids flipped out.

M Peasley

Alrighty, Tedster, I see your point.

My version is about which colors touch each other on the snake. Yours is more about appearance.

Still though, if you (or me, or anyone to read this) are in an area indigenous to coral snakes, best to leave any snake that remotely resembles a coral snake alone. Right? :D

Mrrr. :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I didn't realize that Lee was such an accomplished herpatologist. :D

Venemous snakes in the USA are generally timid. The (large) Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes is one of the exceptions, and it's more lazy than aggressive. Unlike other rattlers, it doesn't like to get out of your way.

Snakes in other parts of the world - especially mambas and several vipers - are far more aggressive, plus they have ridiculously deadly venom. Few bites lead to death in the US.

The Eastern Diamondback (Southeastern states), the Coral Snake (Florida), and the Mojave Rattlesnake (Western high country) are the most dangerous snakes in the US. The Eastern has a lot of venom; the other two have extremely potent venom. If you're bitten, got to the hospital immediately. Try not to exert yourself (drive, don't walk, if possible).

Most snakebites occur on the hand. Gee, I wonder how that happens! I shouldn't talk, though. I tried to get a copperhead to come out from under some leaves one time. Good thing I used a stick, because he struck the stick repeatedly. It was the most beautiful snake that I've ever seen, absolutely stunning in color and pattern.

Have you guys ever watched Venom ER on Animal Planet? Cool show!!!!

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Ouizel:

Uh, Tedster, ya got it backwards.

It's "Red & yellow, kill a fellow. Red & black, friend of Jack"

I used to keep a red rat snake (or Corn snake) like this one...

http://www.lhs.berkeley.edu/Biolab/images/cornsnake.jpg

as a pet. Bit me twice, both times it was my fault. Had to give her away, because I was moving from North Dakota in the winter, and she wouldn't have survived the trip. :cry:

I like snakes. My dad taught me about them at a young age. After looking at the head of the snake in question, and without doing any other research, I'd have to agree that it was a garter snake, and not venomous. (I've been bitten by a garter snake, too. Guess I should be more careful when handling wild snakes, eh?)

That picture reminds me of a beautiful snake that I picked up in my backyard about a year ago. Mine was more brightly orange colored, but same family of snakes. Very docile, didn't mind being handled at all. Never bit. Scared the hell out of my wife who wanted me to take it back outside, which I did. Would have made a nice pet, but is probably happier in the wild. Good snake.

Saw a black racer slither onto my patio yesterday. Took a drink from a plant dish and moved on. Really cool. Nature is beautiful, but most of us don't take the time to appreciate it. Or people just kill it first and then ask questions later. Good snake.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - I approved this message.

Corn snakes make excellent pets. They're very docile, they don't mind being handled, and they're easy to keep. (Don't need much extra heat, etc.)

My snake (Slinky) was good about getting herself into interesting positions. One time, when I had her out of her viv, she crawled through every belt loop in my jeans. I actually have a pic of me with a living snake belt. Cool. I was rather upset to have to get rid of her. She was nearly 5' long.

Originally posted by deanmass:

Goddam I hate snakes......brrrrrr.....

I thought the deal was the round pupiled snakes were non poisonous?

I'm not sure that an identification method involving getting close enough to examine their pupils is such a good idea. It might work for the non-venomous breeds but others... :eek:

Archived