Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stolen Guitars.

Damn gang, I got back for another Bonzai run to the Bay Area (sorry guys up there, it was really short notice & I didn't have time for shit other than work) & got home on Friday night. On Saturday I went to grab an axe & pick a bit only to find the case was empty and to find a total of three (3) of my guitars missing, including my main player.

Long story that I won't bore you with, but, I suspected my stepson or one of his cronies, with his hekp. I filed a police report with serial numbers & descriptions (Keep a spreadsheet on your gear gang) & hoped for the best.

Kinda got really lucky and have them located already. The stupid bitch that stole them, a friend of the stepson, who had stolen and sold another guitar before that I recovered, took them to a pawn shop.

Her very recent husband and now soon to be ex husband called wifey this morning with the information that the bitch had said she had a key to our house and was going to get some guitars and pawn them. He didn't really believe her until things came up missing at his parent's home.

:idea: So I decided to call or stop in, to all the local pawn shops. Sure enough, this evening I got the right one and they have all of my axes.

The police were contacted again, another come out and called the shop to insure the guitars stayed there until I can pick them up and things are progressing. Obviously I'm going to press charges and work like hell to get the guitars without paying the hock charges. Under a hundred bucks but still, I shouldn't have to take the bitch to small claims court, the pawn shop should, to recover the money. I'll talk about that to the detective that works this kind of shit with the pawn shops.

I got really lucky gang & all I can do is emphasize the need to keep detailed records of serial numbers, descriptions and pictures of all your gear and act on any and all tips you receive.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about this Dak... but I'm glad you found your stuff. I agree - you shouldn't have to pay diddly squat to get your gear back - the pawn shop owner didn't give YOU the loan money, and while they were probably unaware of it, the gear was stolen property.

In Cali, pawn shops and music stores have to hold on to used gear for 30 days and submit a list of serial numbers to the local police. Most places also take a thumbprint when someone sells or trades in used gear - I'm not sure if they're required to do that or not though. I doubt your stuff is going anywhere any time soon, especially if the local police already called the shop and told them the items were stolen.

Oh and Dak, time to change your locks.

Incredible that you have such bad then good luck.

Similar thing happened to me with golf clubs. As soon as I saw the busted window, I went the nearest pawn shop and it took forever but they finally admitted they had thme. i paid $15 to get $1,000 of golf clubs back. Police never did anything and the guy's drivers' license.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Not to mention circle of friends and family.

New ground rules, enforced by Smith & Wesson.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Not to mention circle of friends and family.

New ground rules, enforced by Smith & Wesson.

I thought of that right after I hit "submit" - maybe not giving your son a key would also be wise. Sorry to have to suggest that... :(

I filed a police report with serial numbers & descriptions (Keep a spreadsheet on your gear gang) & hoped for the best.

Threaten to press charges against the Pawn shop for being in possession of stolen goods. They have "HOT" lists that they are required to check prior to accepting items for pawn.

Sure glad you were able to locate your gear, but as another said, it may be locked up as "EVIDENCE" for quite some time.

Well, all locks changed. What a bitch to have to do that.

Phil, no, the step son doesn't get a key.

Heh, he called tonight and when told I was going to prosecute he said he'd never come back. (Fat Chance, he's like a bad penny)

The stuff was hocked even before I got back from the trip and found it missing so there was no police report for the the pawn shop to even think about or react to a "HOT LIST". They were more than accomodating in many ways, especially when I walked in with the spreadsheet with the serial numbers & descriptions.

Looks like, in addition to the prosecution, I'm going to hit small claims to get damages and the cost of the lock changes as well as pawn fees if I so get stuck with them though I'm going to fight that. The officer that come out to the house agreed with me in that it should be the pawn shop's problem.

Ditzy bitch, had to show picture ID, address & etc as well as a thumb print. She's had like she's never been had before & the guys at the pawn shop remember her, not just from my gear but other times too so she'll bang up in a lineup if required.

Should find out more in the next day or two, as to when I can get them back home.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

There;s a special place in hell for people who steal artist's tool (or anyone else's tools for that matter).

What amazes me is how brazen and stupid some people are about it.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I guess this is a case of all's-well-that-ends-well, but it sure is pouring salt on the wound to find out that the turds that stole from you are people you should be able to trust.

Awwwww, evil-step-son won't ever come backsy-wacksy? I'm sure you'll learn to live with it. Somehow...

And as far the crack whore that actually took and pawned your stuff, maybe you shouldn't press charges. You should send a couple of jack-booted thugs over to break her freakin' fingers!

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Glad to hear you found your gear. Sorry to hear it was an inside job. I had a very similiar situation happen to me a couple of years ago. Every piece of gear I owned that wasn't with me was stolen along with everything else of value in my house while I was on tour. It ended up being set up by a "friend" who was house sitting for me to finance his substance abuse. It took several weeks, but I got all of it back with the exception of one bass. It was insured, but pretty much irreplaceable. Damn, I miss that thing...
Later..................

Damn, Dak. :(

I'm glad you found your stuff so quickly, but that really sucks. On top of the hassle involved, you must feel awfully angry and violated. I know I would if a family member did something like that.

Good luck with getting your gear back quickly.

As far as that bitch (and the stepson) goes, I hope you smite them with the thunder of God's own fury :mad: (or at least to the fullest extent of the law).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I feel your pain. Somehow, someone fucks you in the ass, and YOU end up being the one they want to pay to make things right. NOPE. Bad thing, she probably won't even do any jail time, or if so, just a tiny bit.

I've got someone like that. Deb's brother's kid (I used to say my nephew...fuck that). Ripped me off good before he took off to Michigan. But I know where he lives...and he won't know when to expect a surprise visit.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This thread got me thinking...

It's a strange connection we musicians have with our instruments.

I'd much rather have my car stolen than one of my guitars. If someone breaks into my house, they can have the silver, the china, the TV, etc. Don't touch the axes. :evil:

That other stuff is just that. Stuff. I can do without if I need to, and insurance will cover most of it. It'd be a pain in the a$$, but I could handle it.

If someone took my Les Paul, my strat, my Artcore, etc., I wouldn't really know what to do. Insurance can pay for a new one, but that's not the same thing. It's like saying, "Oh well, you can get a new dog/cat" when the one who's been with you for years has passed on.

I know that a guitar is just wood and metal (and a few other materials), but it sure doesn't feel that way...

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

My daughter's "friends" have made away with a mini-disc player/recorder they probably thought was an MP3 player, and money has come up missing from our wallets and purses. Who knows what else. But if someone took my tele, oh man. I've had it since '69 or '70 and some really talented fingers have played it over the years. Every time someone special plays it, it shines. It's hard to tune, squeals on both pickups if you turn it up too much, needs the frets dressed, and several other maintenance items, but the vibe is irreplaceable. That said, I know there are plenty of good axes out there and they're getting relatively cheaper.

It's the lack of trust in your own space that can grind so hard. The best to you, Dak, I know you don't deserve this mess.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I know that a guitar is just wood and metal (and a few other materials), but it sure doesn't feel that way...

Seriously. Aside from my Lego collection, my Cheapo Squire Strat is my oldest possession. Realistically, it's a worthless guitar- it cost less than $180 new in 1991, and now it is a wreck- squealing pickups, pitted/buzzing frets, flaky wiring, etc... i've got some mileage on that thing... A pawn shop probably wouldn't give me $40 for it.

but dammit i don't know any other guitar like i know that one. It's got its lil quirks and its lil dents and all its lil noises and the varnish worn off the neck, and when i pick it up and do stuff to it i know what it's going to do.

I've played and owned (and do own) much nicer, better guitars, but i always come back to this one. I'd be upset if the Yamaha or Ibanez were gone, but losing my POS Strat would ruin me.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Thanks so much for the commiseration gang, I'm getting through it.

It really does come down to the personal relationship with the instruments. Lots of money? No, and the pawn shop gave less than $100.00 for the three & actually, there were two others so that may be all five axes fot he money they loanded.

None of the guitars cost that much either. The Biscuit was bought on eBay and has had a headstock repair, was hard to play but has a clang you just don't often find.

The electric that was stolen was a Les Paul knock off that has microphonic pickups but still has that vibe & kills your back too 'cause it's so heavy. Hell the case it was taken out of was a nice but old Gibson Brown case that's probably worth more than the guitar.

What hurt the worst was the Ventura V-6 that's become my favorite guitar and my main player. Jeez, I found it in another pawn shop and only paid $55.00 for it, a soft case and strap but what an instrument. It was so good that I pulled the Fishman pickup system from my Guild and installed it in the Ventura. The sound it gets blows most acoustics away with the same pickup system. There too, the case it was in, and was left behind, was worth more than what I paid for the guitar.

I does look, now, like the stepson wasn't directly involved this time around though it was his impropriety and carelessness that ultimately allowed this to happen, and, he was the one that ripped my Guild several months back that I had to buy back, so I still hold him heavily responsible. He's offered to pay back any charges I may have for getting them back and I'll be holding him to that.

I've had things ripped before but the fact that they were instruments and it was an inside job are what, indeed, hurt the worst.

Thanks again guys, it's helped...

Our Joint

Archived