Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alanis Morrisette & Avril Lavigne

Not an in depth study. I hardly have time or interst to audit & notate recordings of both but in casual observation of their TV appearances there seems to be a number of similarities between them.

Their general appearance or "look" is one place to start, then there's the sort of tough attitude both affect & the acommercial tendency to hold onto a certain visual image while many other young popsters shift their's regularly.

More telling are ceratin vocal mannerisms & even melodic contours & embellishments that seem, to me, quite alike.

Has anyone else observed this?

Comments?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both girls are Canadian, and Avril is considered a kind of junior, updated Alanis. If anything, her emulativeness borders on imitation, but she's being marketed toward a younger generation that the one Alanis starting hitting about ten years ago with her debut record.

- Jeff

Both sucK? :D

Just kidding. I don't see a resemblance between the two of them. From Alanis, I like "Jagged Little Pill" and nothing after that. Avril Lavigne has some great songs in her first CD (most of them not written by her... or "co-written" :rolleyes: ). But anyway... as a live performer she stinks. Production-wise... awesome stuff.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by Nawledge:

I prefer alanis by a long shot, underneath all of the hyperbole there is a great voice and she definitely has something to say even if she doesn't know what that is.

:D

Rensonic, compare their vocal stylings, the melismas they use for embellishments, etc.

They're quite similar.

Originally posted by george costanza:

Rensonic, compare their vocal stylings, the melismas they use for embellishments, etc.

They're quite similar.

On a second thought, george... hmm... nah. No resemblance. :D

Kidding. They hold some similarities. But Alanis goes a little more over the top with that style of hers. I don't know how to call it.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by dondottcomm:

They all owe a dept to Shinad O'Conner{sp?} then after her the singer from the Cranberries..

Correct. They bothsing flat.

Canadian Suck Rock!!!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by dondottcomm:

They all owe a dept to Shinad O'Conner{sp?} then after her the singer from the Cranberries..

Oh, BIG TIME! I remember hearing "You Oughta Know", for the first time and thinking; "Okay, this girl's been listening to 'Zombie'".

Alanis has less vocal control than the girl from the Cranberries (I don't remember her name) though.

I enjoy some of her music though. That includes many of the singles from other albums than just 'Pill'.

I remember seeing her on Behind the Music though, and thinking that she had definitely bought into her own press. She's not the female Kurt Cobain she thinks -or at least thought- she is. Not even close. But she's released some cool tunes, and 'You Oughta Know' will be a staple for bands with female lead singers for a loooooong time.

Hey, at least it's a step up from having to play 'Kiss Me Deadly'..... aaaack! :freak:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

The Cranberries' lead singer is Dolores O'Riordan. :cool:

And I thought "Linger" sounded like The Sundays... Gettin' old ...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Super 8:

Hey, at least it's a step up from having to play 'Kiss Me Deadly'..... aaaack! :freak:

I'll listen to "kiss me Deadly" anytime over any of the squaking of Alanis Morrissette and her shit somngs with lyrics that sound like she's reading a phonebook.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Originally posted by Henchman:

Originally posted by Super 8:

I'll listen to "kiss me Deadly" anytime over any of the squaking of Alanis Morrissette and her shit somngs with lyrics that sound like she's reading a phonebook.
Sounds like you're referring to the CD released FOLLOWING the "Jagged Little Pill". I really liked the whole CD of "Jagged Little Pill", but everything released after that CD has stunk. The song that she released where she was naming names was pretty lousey; a big turn off.

I liked "You Oughta Know" for it's "ENERGY" and spunk. The lyrical content actually emitted passion along with every beat of the song.

To me, Avril, with the background music, reminds me more of Train than she does Alanis.

In truth, Alanis would not be a woman that one would want to cross; Avril is a little girl trying to follow in her mentor's footsteps. Alanis in the Madonna of Rock.... Avril is the Britney of Rock.

Bit harsh!!!

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie was a bit weak, but still had a few good songs on it. Under Rug Swept was a big improvement. Have only heard So Called Chaos once but it sounded like it could be better than Jagged Little Pill....

Hoping she's going to tour over here soon...!

Listened to Avril's new one as well. Not too bad, much the same as the last one though....

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

From Gabriel E.:

"Correct. They bothsing flat."

I guess that's true, too.

From Sean Eldon:

"Morrisette is a songwriter. Lavinge is a pre-made pop-girl. Big difference."

From Ani:

"To me, Avril, with the background music, reminds me more of Train than she does Alanis."

While I mentioned elements of their images, the main thing that struck me---& again, I hardly care enough about their type of pop music to do an in deprh study beyond what I happened to've seen on TV recently---is that they sing almost exactly alike in the little tweaks they put on melodies.

I don't mean that they both use them but that the ones they use are the same.

Even the melodies themselves are sometimes alike.

BTW, I think that O'Riordan chick from the Cranberries deserves an award for bringing yodeling back into fashion.

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

I hate to say it, but both of their voices make my skin crawl! Canada, will you please take back Alanis, Barenaked Ladies, Avril, Bryan Adams, but leave Rush here :D ? Thanks!

Can you get them to leave Rush but take Vapor Trails? Or at least give us the pre-master mixes instead?

Funny, there was an article in EW last week that kind of said the same thing, that Morrisette and Lavigne are sort of like the same thing, judging from their recent albums.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Originally posted by Henchman:

I'll listen to "kiss me Deadly" anytime over any of the squaking of Alanis Morrissette

You've got yourself a DEAL!!!

I'll take Alanis.... you can have Lita Ford.

And NO trade-back! :D

Dylan PDX sez:Canada, will you please take back Alanis, Barenaked Ladies, Avril, Bryan Adams, but leave Rush here ? Thanks!

What!? You're gonna let Canada get away with sending us Celine!?!?!? :eek: FOR SHAME, Dylan :evil: !!!!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Can you get them to leave Rush but take Vapor Trails? Or at least give us the pre-master mixes instead?

Funny, there was an article in EW last week that kind of said the same thing, that Morrisette and Lavigne are sort of like the same thing, judging from their recent albums.

And also leave Neil Young and John Fogerty, but take back Shania and Celine?

Oh, and all these telemarketers that call me incessantly from Ontario and BC trying to sell me Windows Server 2003 and other dumb shit i don't need or want. In fact, let's both (the US and Canada) go in on building a giant wall across our border, since y'all hate us so much and we're too stupid to figure out why.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Lavigne's recordings are more pop oriented and use more auto-tune and compression (!!!) on the vocals. Morrissette's recordings are more experimental, i.e. the quality of the material varies more, but the better songs are knockouts. Alanis' songs have more "edge."

I don't think they sound or look alike at all. Avril looks like a junior version of a famous actress or model, but I don't remember which one (maybe Denise Richards?). Alanis has a bohemian look and an odd, really long face.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Alanis has a bohemian look

WTF do people mean when they use the word "bohemian" like this? "bohemian spirit", "bohemian culture" et al.... I hear stuff like this all the time, but i seriously doubt it's ever a reference to the Czech Republic or Eastern-Bloc Europe.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Sean Eldon:

Morrisette is a songwriter. Lavinge is a pre-made pop-girl. Big difference.

BOOM! Exactly.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived