Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody heard any good new Disco lately??

Please don't tell me that Disco is dead! :(

And don't try to tell me that modern "Dance" music is the same thing. It's not. :mad:

All that "techno/electronica/club music" is perfectly fine in its place, and I can even dig some of it... I think the Orb has really got it going on, for one! ;)

But the joys of good Disco make it a thing unto itself. :o

Ah, but how does one define "true Disco?" That's a tough question to answer, all right. :confused:

But I will try:

1) Real Disco has lush Orchestral arrangements. Real strings, real horns. Any synth parts are clearly recognizable as synth parts.

2) No loops or MIDI sequences.

3) The best Disco has funky scratchy wah-wah "chikka-chikka-wakka-wokka" rhythm guitar parts.

4) The drum part is all about the bass drum and the high hat.

5) The most sublime Disco music contains the word "booty" somewhere in the lyrics.

(There might be some other properties of good Disco that I am forgetting. Please feel free to jump in here and add to this list. :D )

SO!! Anybody heard any good new Disco music lately??

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kylen:

OK - one of my recent favorites by 'The Red Elvises' (dig Russian Disco ?)

http://www.redelvises.com/redelvises/shake.htm

...course they do other stuff too

Every Body Disco :wave:

I have seen the future of good music, and it hails from Siberia!!!

Thankee-sai, kylen! :wave::D:D:D :

disco can be good or bad, like anything else (rock blues jazz or whatev) but i think maybe i dont have the 'historical' perspective on it cuz im only 18

i like funkyness so i think discos pretty cool; its like the halfway point between funk and hip hop... sort of...

hey! there is a great band with disco influences: the Talking Heads! they are awesome and,

DISCO AS F*CK

and recently in the indie rock scene there was alike a dance-punk thing going on... cool bands that are funky punky hip hop groovy discoy... i like the band 'the Rapture'

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

I don't know about any truly NEW disco, but some of the Blondie stuff was disco and sounded really good. Same with Donna Summer.

There are two compilations called "Disco No Disco" that were released that chronicled the "underground" disco of the late '70s/early '80s. As you probably know, a lot of this time period in NY is extremely popular and influential on today's music (particularly "no wave"), with people taking it and putting their own spin on it. If you are interested in disco's beginnings, the "Disco No Disco" comps are as good as start as any. Good stuff.

There is a lot of "Disco House" coming out of france - mostly recycled riffs and vocals from the 70's. But there are a few original "new" disco songs coming out of the land of the frogs - just expect it to be on vinyl.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Disco rules, I was just lucky enough to not have to live through the culture :D . It was a time when bass players ruled. Chic rule especially as Bernard Edwards is a badass.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

I don't think Disco is dead! They just don't call it disco anymore but they call it dance music. J-Lo's "Waiting For Tonight" and Cher's "Believe" can surely be called disco and would have fit right in back in the day! Disco is all about the '4 on the floor' and a pulsating bassline! The only bad thing is if your band starts playing a lot of disco/dance (like mine is beginning to), you're ultimately going to have to start wearing sparkling costumes and afro wigs! Gah!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by the.circular.motion.rub.it:

but i think maybe i dont have the 'historical' perspective on it cuz im only 18

i like funkyness so i think discos pretty cool; its like the halfway point between funk and hip hop... sort of...

hey! there is a great band with disco influences: the Talking Heads! they are awesome

Personally, I would consider the Talking Heads to be anti-Disco. I remember seeing them for the first time on Saturday Night Live, I think in 1979....not even close to Disco. David Burn was way too spaztik and nerdy to be Disco. Disco was wayyy too "cool" for the Talking Heads. That's how I remember it, anyway.

Actually, there was some good Disco out there.

Earth Wind & Fire had some good stuff.

Brothers Johnson

K.C. and the Sunshine Band had some staple tunes.

Chic had some really good stuff, and the infamous bassline from "Goodtimes" that became the basis for "Rapper's Delight".

Even though it hurts me to say it.....the....the...Bee(cough).........The BeeGees (there I said it) had some really good songs.

Blondie did some good Disco. But I always felt like Blondie's stuff was very tongue-in-cheek. They never really bought into that 'Disco attitude'. Same with Gary Numan. "Cars" was a huge Disco hit for him, but Gary Numan was never 'Disco'.

People get nostalgic about Disco now....twenty odd years later. But most of the stuff during the time sounded a lot like "Barbie Girl". Yuck! :freak:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by the.circular.motion.rub.it:

but i think maybe i dont have the 'historical' perspective on it cuz im only 18

hey! there is a great band with disco influences: the Talking Heads! they are awesome

Personally, I would consider the Talking Heads to be anti-Disco. I remember seeing them for the first time on Saturday Night Live, I think in 1979....not even close to Disco. David Burn was way too spaztik and nerdy to be Disco. Disco was wayyy too "cool" for the Talking Heads. That's how I remember it, anyway.

Actually, there was some good Disco out there.

Earth Wind & Fire had some good stuff.

Brothers Johnson

K.C. and the Sunshine Band had some staple tunes.

Chic had some really good stuff, and the infamous bassline from "Goodtimes" that became the basis for "Rapper's Delight".

Even though it hurts me to say it.....the....the...Bee(cough).........The BeeGees (there I said it) had some really good songs.

Blondie did some good Disco. But I always felt like Blondie's stuff was very tongue-in-cheek. They never really bought into that 'Disco attitude'. Same with Gary Numan. "Cars" was a huge Disco hit for him, but Gary Numan was never 'Disco'.

People get nostalgic about Disco now....twenty odd years later. But most of the stuff during the time sounded a lot like "Barbie Girl". Yuck! :freak:

Don't forget the TRAMPS

or their big hit "Disco Inferno":

The best all-time Disco track IMHO

err, i was sort of being sarcastic about the talking heads/disco thing....

but their music IS quite disco/funk/groove influenced, at least to my ears... throw in some worldbeat percussion polyrhytms and some weird inscrutable lyrics, and there ya go!

peace :thu:

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

It's from 98 or 99, check out:

Nu Yorican Soul

It's live disco/hip hop/house

w/ Roy Ayers / George Benson / Tito Puente / etc.

Amazing stuff, there's a track called Runaway arranged by Vincent Montana, live disco, great modern production, great stuff.

I have the vinyl, it's a four record set, each record is 16 or 22 grams, big thich heavy records with one song on each side, it's loud and warm and delicious

Peace all

Dahkter

Archived