Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should musicians/artists have children?

This is the best topic in a long, long time. There are so many good points here. You are all right! I never wanted to get married, let alone have kids. I wanted to stay single, live as a rock and roll gypsy and you know the rest. However, beautiful things happen in life that we don`t plan. Meeting a woman who was beyond anything I ever imagined helped me realize I did want to spend my life with her & I did want to have children with her.

I turned 31 recently and I never thought my life would be this way because I always thought marriage and children meant no freedom. The funny thing is that though I have given up some freedoms my son has inspired me like nothing else in this world and has opened up other doors of freedom. Before his birth I didn`t write what I am writing now and I did not have the right attitude about my work. When I realized I was going to be a dad everything changed. (Those commercials are true.)

The greastest thing for me on a singer-songwriter level is that my son made me so much more focused and now my creative work takes on new meaning. Writing songs is now an opportunity to teach or share a valuable life lesson w/ him. Every word I write and every note I play and sing is focused. How is this going to affect my son? What will he think? What do I want to say here exactly? Don`t get me wrong, I don`t write songs to him. I write about everything but now the focus on my writing is how is my son going to read into this when he grows up and understands? My son has has made my writing more mature and more universal.

He has made me better. That says it all.

Ernest

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com:

The greastest thing for me on a singer-songwriter level is that my son made me so much more focused and now my creative work takes on new meaning. Ernest

That's an awesome attitude!! It doesn't get more creative than creating life, if you realize that the birth of life is but the beginning of the creation. Your son will be blessed beyond your wildest imagination, and so will you and your wife.

Archived