Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OSX for PC : Pear PC

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing.

If you get the fastest PC you can, you could turn it into a 75Mz Mac!

I think maybe Apple will start legal action soon. There are a few people who have admitted to doing this but AFAIK it's illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Rog:

it's illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

I'm not saying your wrong,but can't anyone walk into a store and buy OSX?If so,what law is stopping them from doing whatever they want with it for personal use.Does it say that it's illegal to install it on anything other than a Mac on the box? Or just the licensing agreement during install? Curious.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

That's because it's an ealy attemt at software proccessor emulation,and an early attempt at that.Once someone gets smart enough to make CPU wrappers for both new proc's(G5/Opteron) things could get interesting.

Originally posted by Alndlnbot:

it's illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

I'm not saying your wrong,but can't anyone walk into a store and buy OSX?If so,what law is stopping them from doing whatever they want with it for personal use.Does it say that it's illegal to install it on anything other than a Mac on the box? Or just the licensing agreement during install? Curious.
I'd imagine it would be in the licence agreement.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Alndlnbot:

That's because it's an ealy attemt at software proccessor emulation,and an early attempt at that.Once someone gets smart enough to make CPU wrappers for both new proc's(G5/Opteron) things could get interesting.
I can't see it happening. it's one thing to get an OS running but then you'd have to actually do something with it. Even if they get emulation up to, say, 500MHz then Photoshop is still going to run like a dog, games will be unplayable, etc.

What would you actually use it for?

Even if they get emulation up to, say, 500MHz then Photoshop is still going to run like a dog, games will be unplayable, etc.

That's if they stay with proccessor software emulation,but if they take the wrapper approach it could open up some interesting doors.Amd did something similar wrapping Intels x86 instructions when they first came on the scene,now Intel will have to wrap AMD's 64 bit instructions for Longhorn/Win 2003 server.

I was especially amused that the threshold of triumph was somewhere around running the OS without catastrophic crashes or lockups. Someday, Johnny, man will be able to run an application in that there OS and a whole new world will...

Anyhow, it sort of brings the technological conversation back around to RISC vs. CISC. It's ironic (and no doubt a factor in the sluggish performance of the processor wrapper) that you're emulating a somewhat instruction-reduced processor (the G5) using a wrapper around what is certainly one of the fattest processor families in history. But I guess that's a lot of the fun of it.

Still, it highlights the notion that code portability is something the human/machine composite entity longs for...

With regard to making your PC look like a Mac, I have a couple of Mac OS-style skins in my collection of maybe 10 or so Windows XP skins. One is a semi-dead on OS 9 skin (you have to use the Mac style exit button in the left corner, you can't completely hide an app from the skin interface, just windowshade it, etc.) and another is a riff off of one of the Aqua versions. That's all very nice -- although the look of shock and horror on my Mac pals' faces was disappointingly brief -- but what I really want is something that gets rid of Windows' jumbled hodgepodge of system access dialogs, wizards, tabbed interfaces, button popups, context menus, tree hierarchies -- a seemingly endless, ever-shifting muddle of redundant, confusing, ill-organized and idiosyncratic interface fragments -- a trip to the GUI mall on PCP. The one place in Windows where all the withering scorn of all the Mac-supremacists is well warranted, maybe even insufficient. When I look at my friends as they tinker with their OS X Macs, the system settings all seem to be laid out in logical, straightforward hierarchies. Shouldn't a platform with its roots in the world of enterprise computing have a clean, logical system access layout?

Mmmm. Maybe not "dead-on," on second thought.

But an amusing change for a spring-fever day... this is "MacPC" running in the WindowBlinds skin manager:

http://bluetrip.com/images/bb_img/mac-on-pc-scrnshot.jpg

I think it's well beyond rumor that Apple has a version of OS X that can run natively on Intel equipment. It's to their advantage not to release that, because then they become just another software manufacturer, but it was becoming a consideration when Motorola's inability to bump processor speed started causing Apple to lose the speed wars badly.

I've read that some Apple engineers, just for fun, created a version of OS X that will run natively on a GeForce videocard. The Aqua interface is said to look great on that.

This my version running Y'z dock and a Program called Mactrans. It doesn't use the resources that windowblinds does. It helped me clean up the clutter on my desktop.

http://www.desolationproductions.com/mark/desktop.jpg

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Gotta love XFCE , the Cholesterol Free Window Manager:

http://home.mia.net/~phaeton/avatar/cramped.jpg

Then, when set to a resolution that reminds me i must see an eye doctor :eek: :

http://home.mia.net/~phaeton/avatar/uncramped.jpg

And, since we're talking about running OSes on top of other OSes:

http://home.mia.net/~phaeton/avatar/emulation.jpg

teehee!! :thu:

(disclaimer: i reduced the quality of these images to improve load times for dialup sufferers. That is why they are hideously blurry)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

That's obviously due to the coding itself. All my virtual machines actually run faster emulated than they do natively, due to VMWare's excellent codebase. There are also a number of emulators i've played with that imitate other architectures (MIPS, 8-bit commodores and atari computers, PDP-10/11 and various game consoles such as NES, SNES, etc) and some run doggedly slow, while others run at speed, or overspeed, and many of them allow you to tweak their internals.

Of course, you were probably just jokin' round, eh? ;)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Gotta love XFCE , the Cholesterol Free Window Manager:

Yeah, I like that one, and IceWM as well.

I use Ice most of the time. But anyway, I could care less at the moment. I just don't like typing on the cheezy first-gen iMac keyboards, which is what I'm on right now. It does look pretty in cherry red, and it's got Hello Kitty stickers all over it. No, it's not mine.

In any case, I still prefer an OS where I can see the guts when I need to. GUI or not. Heh. :)

Personally I could care less about the look of any OS.What would excite me would be the possibility of wrapping proccessors for things like cross platform "app modules" as plugins,or just cross platform plugins.Not that I feel I'm missing anything because these days just about everything good DAW-wise is cross platform anyway,but just to be able to do it because were not suppose to.The punk in me I guess.

What about Altivec? Pentiums haven't anything similar, OSX would suck on a pentium, but with a smart porting it would rock on an AMD which has a better architecture and is very similar to G4.

Originally posted by 1970:

What about Altivec? Pentiums haven't anything similar

AMD's "3D Now" has similar instructions,but hardly any apps take advantage of either anyway.

Archived