Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Imagine a gig scene when nobody drives

...cuz if gas prices keep going up, there is going to be a decrease in people driving here and there.

Here's something I don't understand. Oil hit $41 a barrel. It was that much in about 1980-81. I don't remember what gas sold for but it wasn't anything like $2 a gallon it is now here. Taxes on gasoline have increased, for sure.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With inflation, gasoline at retail is still significantly cheaper than it was in '81. I have a moderately gas-sucking vehicle and a moderately long commute, so I'm not happy with the price of gas, but I am old enough to remember the high prices in the early '80s and how much it affected me.

If it didn't pollute the air so much, I would say go ahead H2s, use up all the gas. The energy companies will then and only then pull the 100 MPG carburators, efficient battery technology, and renewable energy sources out of their secret files so we can all benefit equally from a cleaner environment.

I agree that short term economic events like this can have significant effects on peoples' behaviors, including entertainment choices.

I'm sure our EU members are snickering at us right now.

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Yep, at $5 a gallon, I can't imagine how that works. I guess people aren't mobile like here. I dunno but if it hits $2.50, I'd think it would affect habits here.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

:idea:

Maybe to draw more people to gigs you could give away a gallon of gas to one lucky customer!

(Of course that would pretty much blow your pay from the club... :rolleyes: ).

[edit for not knowing how to type "lucky" the 1st time :rolleyes: ]

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

The way i understand it, most developed places in EU have got public transportation down to a science. Cheap, efficient, reliable, available.

The U.S. needs to SERIOUSLY take a look at EU Metro areas and learn. Some cities are getting the gist, i.e. Portland OR and their City Bicycle Program, etc.

And then we need to help people with their self-image problems and get them to stop buying H2s for their penis-envying wives.

I hate ("consumer grade") Hummers and everything they stand for.

However, i should probably add that the folks with the power to make the changes don't want to. Either they don't give a shit, or they're the ones that are benefitting from our current state of dependency on oil. yay for politics.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

The other thing to bear in mind is that in the EU, in many cases, driving 200 miles puts you in a different country. Here in the U.S. it sometimes won't get you out of the county, and in most cases won't even get you into another state. The concept of what's a long ways away changes. When I lived in upstate New York, driving 20 miles to see a band in a club seemed like a long way. When I was on the road in the Midwest, people would drive a couple of hundred miles to come to the club with the hot bands (or the cute barmaids).

The other thing to bear in mind is that in the EU, in many cases, driving 200 miles puts you in a different country. Here in the U.S. it sometimes won't get you out of the county, and in most cases won't even get you into another state. The concept of what's a long ways away changes. When I lived in upstate New York, driving 20 miles to see a band in a club seemed like a long way. When I was on the road in the Midwest, people would drive a couple of hundred miles to come to the club with the hot bands (or the cute barmaids).

This is all very true, and a valid point. But look how often you see people (or we ourselves) will jump in the car to drive 5-10 blocks, or to the other side of town.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived