Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone watch that Motown 45 special last night?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I flipped through it a few times- spent only a few minutes watching.

I thought the sound mix was below average.

On a few tunes the killer beats that drive motown were nowhere to be heard-lost in the background.

The lighting & camera-work also struck me as being less than what is typical these days.

For instance, i noticed bright lights inappropriately beaming into the camera from right behind a performer - more often than seemed appropriate.

Lots of off-pitch singing also.

I dunno Maybe I was just grouchy- but that was my reaction to the few bits i saw.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Too bad you didn't stick around for Gladys Knight.. DAYUM!!! Her pipes are better than ever!!! Audience and performers alike seemed to have a fantastic time and it was not fluffed up with a lot of crap talking and writing... It was one great performance after another. Great show!
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Well I saw the entire thing and I'm pretty much in agreement with Kendrix.

If Gladys Knight hadn't performed, it would've been a waste of time. SHE WAS OFF THE HOOK! I thought the "Honorary Pips" part was kind of insulting. At least they could've used real singers if the originals weren't available. A hoarse George Lopez and Cedric just didn't cut it for me.

The 4 Tops were okay. But I really missed Levi Stubbs! The new guy could at least sing. But it just wasn't the same.

Once and for all The Temptations are DEAD! They should just call that group "Otis Williams & Whoever." There is no bass singer, and probably never will be again, the calibre of Melvin Franklin! That guy was an absolute GOD sent, not of this world annomaly. I'm willing to go as far as Ali Woodsen as far as acceptable Tempts goes. But after he left and Melvin died, it just a group of flat singing suits now.

Thelma Houston was good. Jermain Jackson was good. I wish he'd done "Let's Get Serious" or something by himself. Lionel Ritchie was okay. Kelly Rowlands and Kimberly Locke were fine. Loads of potential there. Michael McDonald was mismatched with his song. He SHOULD'VE sung "I Keep Forgetting." But he was okay. Why couldn't Stevie Wonder perform his own stuff? Brian Mcknight was okay, though I don't understand why he was wearing a suit that clearly didn't fit. Was that some kind of homage to the high water pants style of the 60's? Everybody else was flat and/or staggeringly BAD!

The thing that bugs me the most and was made most evident by Gladys' performance, was the fact that people just don't sing anymore!

Gladys came out and SANG HER SONG! The audience went bullistic, which was the appropriate response. She was clean, clear, on pitch, and expressive! THAT'S SINGING!!!!!!!

All the "kids" are just screaming or doing these stupid operatic type runs that only emphasize that they weren't singing in the first place. Sing a whole note 4 straight beats and HOLD THE PITCH! Then we can talk about 8th notes. All this up and down histrionics is not only NOT musical, it's downright annoying. Consequently, my finger stayed on the fast forward button on my VCR Remote. Speaking of operatic runs, I'm sure any opera star who watched the show was laughing their butts off, since ALL OF THE OLD OPERA SINGERS STILL HAVE CONTROL OF THEIR INSTRUMENTS, WHILE 98% OF THE OLD POP STARS DON'T, AFTER ABUSING THEIR VOICES FOR DECADES.

For the first time, I finally got a good dose of what my parents were feeling when Motown came out. They grew up with Billy Eckstein, Sarah Vaughn, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr., Carman McRae, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horn and Frank Sinatra. That's SERIOUS ENTERTAINMENT! At least they could think "Oh these kids are cute." I just sat there thinking "Now that's just sad." Our kids don't have any chops at all. Worse, they don't even have a clue!

Finally, if you're a great grandmother now, stop coming out on stage 3/4ths naked trying to compete with an 18 year old on Sex Appeal. It's embarassing for you (You KNOW morning DJ's had a field day tearing the offenders down), insulting to regular women that age, and not remotely attractive to the men, who's attention you're misguidedly trying to attract.

Outside of those observations, it was just boring. Motwon 40's documentary style was much better and Motown 25 was "Da Bomb!" But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

I guess I'm the more forgiving type... I was more into the fun and the vibe than I was about being in perfect pitch and having a sparkling "Hollywood mix." Lionel Rich-guy and for the life of me I cannot remember her name also had a spectacular performance together... I still can't figure out how she stayed in that gown...

Ashford and Simpson really stunk it up at the end, but by and large, it was a really fun, stylistic look back. I had a great time and so seemed the performers and the audience. It was about the vibe more than the pure notes. Then, there was Gladys... WOW!!!

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Originally posted by Boggs:

I guess I'm the more forgiving type... I was more into the fun and the vibe than I was about being in perfect pitch and having a sparkling "Hollywood mix."

"Ashford and Simpson really stunk it up at the end, but by and large, it was a really fun, stylistic look back. I had a great time and so seemed the performers and the audience. It was about the vibe more than the pure notes. Then, there was Gladys... WOW!!!

Keyplayer: Back when "The Vibe" was in fact "Our Reality," the notes were pure. Think of the SOUND of the original Temptations, Smokey & The Miracles, The Four Tops, Patti Labelle & the BlueBells, The Contours, and others.

Now fast forward to now. How many of them still generate that vibe? The only ones who come to mind are Gladys Knight, Patti Labelle and, of course Aretha Franklin. If you open that catagory up, you can count James Taylor, Paul Simon, Tom Jones, Prince, Santana, Yes, Dylan & for the most part, the Stones.

To me, nostalgia isn't really nostalgic if the sounds don't match the memory. I'll stick to Motown 40.

I flipped it on a few times just to see what was going on... everything I saw was disappointing except Jermaine Jackson (I didn't see Gladys). I certainly didn't think any of the "new" singers captured the vibe at all. I'd give anything to see some young kids who can just get up there and SING a great song - no vocal gymnastics, no Autotuning, just pure craft and emotion. I'd like to know where the (young) Michael Jacksons and Stevie Wonders and Arethas of today are.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

.... I certainly didn't think any of the "new" singers captured the vibe at all. I'd give anything to see some young kids who can just get up there and SING a great song - no vocal gymnastics, no Autotuning, just pure craft and emotion. I'd like to know where the (young) Michael Jacksons and Stevie Wonders and Arethas of today are.

Keyplayer: That's exactly what I'm thinking. Soon labels won't have anything to work with, if this trend keeps up.

Originally posted by Keyplayer:

Well I saw the entire thing and I'm pretty much in agreement with Kendrix.

I was flipping channels.

If Gladys Knight hadn't performed, it would've been a waste of time. SHE WAS OFF THE HOOK!

I agree, she's always good.

I thought the "Honorary Pips" part was kind of insulting. At least they could've used real singers if the originals weren't available. A hoarse George Lopez and Cedric just didn't cut it for me.

It was a joke, toung and cheek. One Pip was enough, and the other cats weren't really singing, the background singers were.

The 4 Tops were okay. But I really missed Levi Stubbs! The new guy could at least sing. But it just wasn't the same.

I agree.

Once and for all The Temptations are DEAD! They should just call that group "Otis Williams & Whoever." There is no bass singer, and probably never will be again, the calibre of Melvin Franklin! That guy was an absolute GOD sent, not of this world annomaly. I'm willing to go as far as Ali Woodsen as far as acceptable Tempts goes. But after he left and Melvin died, it just a group of flat singing suits now.

Missed 'em but you're probably right.

Thelma Houston was good.

She was sounding good, before I flipped the channel.

Jermain Jackson was good. I wish he'd done "Let's Get Serious" or something by himself.

Missed 'em, but he probably didn't do "Let's Get Serious" cause that's the only solo hit he had and he's trying to show he can sing another song. :rolleyes:

Lionel Ritchie was okay. Kelly Rowles and Kimberly Locke were fine. Loads of potential there.

Lionel and Kelly were alright, but Kelly had a heck of a time trying to sing in tune with the leftover Supreams

Michael McDonald was mismatched with his song. He SHOULD'VE sung "I Keep Forgetting." But he was okay.

He couldn't sing that because it wasn't a Motown hit, plus he has a new album out with Motown songs on it.

Why couldn't Stevie Wonder perform his own stuff? Everybody else was flat and/or staggeringly BAD!

I don't know why, but you have to be able to sing to do Stevie.

The thing that bugs me the most and was made most evident by Gladys' performance, was the fact that people just don't sing anymore! Gladys came out and SANG HER SONG! The audience went bullistic, which was the appropriate response. She was clean, clear, on pitch, and expressive! THAT'S SINGING!!!!!!!

I agree.

Finally, if you're a great grandmother now, stop coming out on stage 3/4ths naked trying to compete with an 18 year old on Sex Appeal. It's embarassing for you (You KNOW morning DJ's had a field day tearing the offenders down), insulting to regular women that age, and not remotely attractive to the men, who's attention you're misguidedly trying to attract.

If you're talking about Thelma Houston, her legs didn't look too bad, Berry Gordy was probably diggin' it.

Outside of those observations, it was just boring. Motwon 40's documentary style was much better and Motown 25 was "Da Bomb!"

And I'll be able to catch the parts I missed when it's re-run, and re-run, and re-run, and........

One thing you didn't mention was the slaughter of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" by Macy Gray. I only heard the tail end of it, but that little bit I heard was horrendous.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I turned it off before it ended and went to bed. I, too, thought the mixing was really off, some of the singers seemed to have pitch issues, and the whole choreography seemed almost unprepared and a bit too hip hop-ish for the era.

I think I would have preferred to have seen something a bit on the classier side without all the distractions. Something that really focused more on the performers.

For the most part I am in agreement with Keyplayer. The show was a farce. It seemed like all the old B list crowd got dusted off and told to try to recapture their youth.

I never ever thought I would say that I missed Diana Ross, but I did. Truely pitiful all around.

The only bright spots, Michael McDonald (although his off center mic volume was no existance-guys, use compression!), Gladys Knight (the highlight), and Brian Mckight.

The Tops and Temps were lounge acts, just making our memories fade quicker.

Jermaine was offkey, pompous and just lifeless.

Joss Stone, who can believe a 16 year Brit singing sould music....

The fact that they had has-been and never-where actors singing these incredible tunes was a sign that they couldn't scare up a top flight star.

Where was Alicia Keys? Stevie Wonder? The re-emerging Prince? Justin Timberlake?

No we get, the old child star from when the Cosby show was just about to be cancelled.

It was better then watching people eat worms on Fear Factor or wrestling, but not much better.

Let's see how much more Barry Gordy can squeeze that nostalgia we all feel for the greats of Motown.

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

Where was Alicia Keys? Stevie Wonder? The re-emerging Prince? Justin Timberlake?

No we get, the old child star from when the Cosby show was just about to be cancelled.

Everybody that performed probably has SOME kind of Motown connection. Raven Simone is probably signed to Motown.

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

One thing you didn't mention was the slaughter of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" by Macy Gray. I only heard the tail end of it, but that little bit I heard was horrendous.

Keyplayer: Sure I did. Everybody else was flat and/or staggeringly BAD!

Hmmm...I thought it was Brian McKnight who did "What's Goin' On". And I thought it was done pretty well. As for the "Temps", well, they got the name right...Temps, as in "office". I didn't see all of it, but I WAS fortunate enough to catch Gladys Knight. Off the hook? HELL, man, she was never ON the hook! She defies that logic that has dictated to many other singers from the past that when you get older, your voice gets worse. HER voice just keeps getting BETTER! And when you think of how great it sounded at the starting point, WHOOOEEEE!

But some of you might have noticed that of those who did sing well, they sang in that "old school" style devoid of nasal histrionics and "whipped puppy" whining that is all too prevalent in what is so-called "soul" singing today.

And brother, THAT was REFRESHING!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

It would've been cool to see Lionel Ritchie reunite with the Commodores for at least one song.

But alas :(:(

Gladys was great. I've never seen her do a bad performance on TV or in person. As far as the Pips are concerned, I think one of the Pips died awhile ago.

The Temptations are a joke. Their lineup hasn't been solid in years. Hell, one of us could be the newest members of the the Temps. :mad:

Originally posted by whitefang:

Hmmm...I thought it was Brian McKnight who did "What's Goin' On". I WAS fortunate enough to catch Gladys Knight. Off the hook?

But some of you might have noticed that of those who did sing well, they sang in that "old school" style devoid of nasal histrionics and "whipped puppy" whining that is all too prevalent in what is so-called "soul" singing today.

And brother, THAT was REFRESHING!

Whitefang

I am with you. I just wish they had more of worthwhile singers. That Raven girl was just embarassing.
There is no substitute.

Gladys Knight is one of those old-school singers that would sound unbelievable if she was mic'ed through a pair of tin cans and string.

But overall the sound quality of the show stank. That should have been one of those shows where you said to yourself "Damn, I've GOT to go out and get the CD of the show."

(I'm beginning to wonder if TV sound engineers are just that horrible or if they don't WANT to put out a good signal that can be taped at home by "the general public".)

Originally posted by timobrien:

(I'm beginning to wonder if TV sound engineers are just that horrible or if they don't WANT to put out a good signal that can be taped at home by "the general public".)

It's a tough job.

Crap that wouldn't really have an impact over a PA system is magnified by the smallness of broadcast: everything has to count.

In this case, probably no do-overs.

Archived