Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Am I stupid...??

First, please restrict your replies to the matter below! ;):D

I happened to see this in Staples current sales sheet:

Northgate P4, 2.5 GHz, DVD Rom, 17" monitor system.

I would love to get an inexpensive, yet powerful computer to use as a DAW. Just how deluded am I to think a $600 computer will work well and be reliable for my purposes?

What's the scoop on Northgate as a whole system brand?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no reason you couldn't get an extremely usable DAW PC hardware for $600 (excluding monitor, maybe).

But you won't get it at Staples, or Best Buy - - (been there, done that...) you need to go do some research on the web, then buy the pieces you want at newegg.com (or similar site).

Keep in mind that a PC retailing at $600 represents $300 in actual hardware and $300 in store profits.

If putting the thing together is daunting to you, hire some local computer geek to do it for you. In fact, you'd probably be way ahead to have the geek pick out the pieces to order for you.

Yeah.. I was kinda interested because of the 17" monitor and the DVD/RW setup for that price. But I had to figure there would be major trade-offs. (Other than the obvious... only 512MB RAM standard.)

Keep in mind I've been doing all my home computing, including recording, on a 3 1/2 year old Celeron 600MHz - 192MB RAM, HP Pavilion. :freak: I resisted buying a pro input card/interface because the computer was so weak.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

It's not the 'Rolls Royce' the DAW power users and builders would have you think you need to

accomplish anything, or the dream system we all might envision, but put that $600 unit beside the unit you're working with and you'd

be surprised at the wealth the small investment

will add to your work, some of which I've heard

and loved.

The days of having to carefully roll your own in the

quest of a slammin working environment are gone.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Keep in mind that a PC retailing at $600 represents $300 in actual hardware and $300 in store profits.

totally incorrect. that system is being dumped at or below cost.

even if i wanted to i could not build that system at my cost for that little or it would be dead close.

Scott

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Yeah.. I was kinda interested because of the 17" monitor and the DVD/RW setup for that price. But I had to figure there would be major trade-offs. (Other than the obvious... only 512MB RAM standard.)

Keep in mind I've been doing all my home computing, including recording, on a 3 1/2 year old Celeron 600MHz - 192MB RAM, HP Pavilion. :freak: I resisted buying a pro input card/interface because the computer was so weak.

i should add to my first post.

you can get a decent $600 for DAW computer without the monitor, there would be no point in buying older tech when for a few more bucks you can get something good.

AN AMD XP 25500+ and up

Nforce chipset motherboard

512 DDR 400

2 HDDs

etc.

P4 800 fsb

865 chipset motherboard

2) 256meg DDR 400 (dual channel)

2) HDD

tec

about $75-100 more.

anything less is wasting your money.