Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You JustGotta Luv Sony

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this thing is the perfect portable audio field recorder, mp3 player, sampler, quite a price but just wait until it comes down. usb, compact flash, harddrive. for all those people trying to record events with their ipods and minidisk players.

Perhaps i lack imagination, but what function do tablet/handheld PCs really serve?

Overpowered for storing addresses and phone numbers, underpowered for doing anything else, yet they cost thousands. Hell, most people's CELL PHONES are too sophisticated for what they need.

(Disclaimer: I'm a geek)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

The function for tablet PCs is obvious:

For CEO and their VPs to carry to meetings and look cool. Usefullness is irrelevant to them.

(Can you tell I've worked in too many IT departments where the staff spends way too much time setting up, configuring and keeping running the $5,000 laptops of managers who do little more than run email????)

the ports, memory, harddrive, and os, make that thing and ideal little sampler/scratchpad, plus you can edit

right on the screen, have you ever drawn in automation envelopes with a pen, it feels way better than doin it with a mouse. much lighter than carrying a laptop around for running down ideas, and easier to deal with holding it in your hand instead of trying to find the right lap/ position.

plug some headphones in, launch abletons Live or something like energy xt and you're good to go.

doubles as your mp3 player, email, organizer, or whatever its just a shrunken computer.

We're incrementally getting there.

*MY* perfect model for personal computing is just enough processor power and memory to keep up with a really fast wireless connection (someday), and let the server people keep up with hardware upgrades/refinements. Or have a wireless network at home, with the "real" computer living somewhere other than in my human interface device.

My PC needs to be about the size of a clipboard, foldable or rollable would be better still, and has to have some kind of *good* replacement for the keyboard/mouse as an input device. Styli and handwriting recognition won't cut it. We need a true innovation in this area. "Qwerty" keyboards are better than styli, but still just a holdover from typewriter technology, and not practical for a hand-held device. But IMHO, handwriting and styli are a step *backward.* Even voice recognition isn't really a good idea for many applications (I'd hate to be on a plane with everyone muttering to their computers at once). Some interface in which finger motions are registered in three dimensions opens up a whole new concept of "typing," and having the interface "touch-free" would eliminate any surface area needing to be dedicated to user input, helping to reduce the size of the device.

And of course, it would be multi-channel audio-capable, with focused ultrasonic transducers that produce point-source audio at each ear (which means you'd have to keep your head fairly still to hear it . . . but we'll find a way around that), and a breakout box attachement to interface microphones for *serious* audio applications. Of course our wireless connection is fast enough to permit multiplexing a number of audio data streams to the "real" computer.

And I'll bet we'll be there within 20 years. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

And I'll bet we'll be there within 20 years.

Perhaps do you recall, or have you read about how computering was 30 years ago? In principle it was a lot like what you describe, sans wireless links.

Or much like WebTV is today.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by timobrien:

For CEO and their VPs to carry to meetings and look cool. Usefullness is irrelevant to them.

(Can you tell I've worked in too many IT departments where the staff spends way too much time setting up, configuring and keeping running the $5,000 laptops of managers who do little more than run email????)

This is oh so true! So true! Wow! I thought I was the only one who thought this about middle managers running around with laptops and PDA's! :rolleyes:
This way, no, wait, that way!

Originally posted by mikegrijak:

Originally posted by timobrien:

This is oh so true! So true! Wow! I thought I was the only one who thought this about middle managers running around with laptops and PDA's! :rolleyes:
:D:D:D:thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Archived