Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your CD player this weekend?

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

Horay for Rensonic! You ARE going to see The Mars Volta, right? You'll enjoy it!

Well, the Franz Ferdinand is kicking my butt with their velvety boots. Reminds me of cool music made before I was born, played by guys that KNOW how to play, in a loosey, vibey way. What can I say, I like it!!!

Oh, and the Ben Kweller CD is... man, it's teaching me the stuff I should have learned in tha first place. GOOD songs, attitude, and love for what you are doing.

I wish I could be like them (that's my compliment).

So much good music... so little time.

Like the New Radicals song: "Isn't....wonderful to be alive!!!!"

Later dudes.

Hey have you seen the video? All the people in the classroom doing the dance moves in the video are from my mates flat in bristol (he's at uni there). Apparently they are pretty cool guys. :thu:
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for what i'm listening to... a lot of reccomendations off the lowdown and some of my own findings:

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Gustav Mahler - Symphonies 1 + 3 (London Symphony Orch)

D'Angelo - Voodoo (Pino Palladino Goodness)

Steve Vai - Ultra Zone (I like the vocal in blood and tears)

Supergrass - All of their albums (went to see them live in Sheffield, was quality :thu: )

Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (started listening to this gain recently)

Snow Patrol - Final Straw (pretty big in Uk at the mo, i'm sure they'll be in US soon)

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by boosh:

Arell Spencer,.....

MAN STOP that dang lyin'! iffen I ever get over that way I'm gonna buy you uh, um a house. and it'll have to have some wide doors for my BIG OL' HEAD. ohp! there it goes now just a swellin and enlargin kinda like one of them heeleeom bloons.(SWOOSHEY AIR NOISE~~~)

oh wait you got one of those.. Hmm you can always keep it as a spare.. Spare houses are cool to keep stuff in. MAYBE some old sneezy furniture and cool little oil paintings and whatnot.. .

hey maybe a Boat house.. not a house for boats but you know what i mean?. and them wide doors on it too so's I can come and visit sometimes..

cause iffen you keep talkin' me up i'm either gonna have to get all new hats or go ahead and just die from all the excitement.

or maybe i'll just get ya a fishin' cap.. since I'll be AT THE FREAKIN'BIG GOOBER HEAD HAT STORE thank you very much.

HEy booshie boi.you don't already have a fishin' cap too do ya'? . see i was tole recently thet it ain't A REAL FISHIN' CAP 'less it has a fish on it. Not a real fish, that would stank affer' a while but You know what I mean yes?.

A hook in yer' cap is goode too but iffen they ain't no fish awn it; uh it's just a cap..

Um uh

oh.. OVER.

over and out.. ..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever to MusicPlayer.com - looks like a cool forum.

Anyway - the album I have been listening to lately is Lenny Kravitz - Baptism.

Any Lenny Kravitz fans out there? Personally, I think this album falls somewhere between Are you Gonna Go My Way and Circus in terms of songwriting quality. There are a few great songs on it, a couple of which are almost reminiscent of Let Love Rule and Mamma Said but as a whole piece of work, coming nowhere near to matching either of them.

Much as I love his music, I think he ran out of steam after Are You Gonna Go My Way.

Has anyone else here listened to it?

Richard

Got the turntable back up! That means the 70's are on the menu!

Yes- Close to the Edge (because of the topic on the Keyboard forum)

King Crimson- Lizard

Chopin- various piano music

Chicago III

Jean-Luc Ponty- Enigmatic Ocean

Scorpions- Fly to the Rainbow

I've got to say something about '70's-era Scorpions: they were very different from the more commercially successful later version of the band. They were very melodic, and their lead guitarist had a strong Hendrix bent. Kind of like a heavy cross between Jimi Hendrix and Richard Wagner. Very far out, and those early albums hold up very well after all these years. Get them all.

Since I don't have a CD changer in my car I carry one of those pouches between the car, work and home out that I've been listening to:

Musicology - Prince

Out The Box - Tonex

Keyboard Compilations Vol 7 & 8 - various artists

Sunday Drivin' - Ben Tankard

My Purpose - The Annointed Pace Sisters

Ying & Yang disc #2 (Yang) - Victor Wooten

Hard Groove - The RH Factor

Thrust - Herbie Hancock

Next - Soulive

Get Down - Soulive

Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Orbital - Orbital

Floetic - Floetry

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by rico2004:

Hello everyone,

Anyway - the album I have been listening to lately is Lenny Kravitz - Baptism.

Any Lenny Kravitz fans out there? Richard

Welcome to the forum!

I am currently listening to the latest Keyboard Corner Compilation CD (7/8), the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs CD, field recordings from Ghana, several mixes that I've done for various bands, and Sigur Ros "()".

I can't stand Kravitz. Sorry!

listening to a lot of stuff I don't own using iTunes today (my co-workers share our playlists over the network)

Moog Cookbook - Moog Cookbook

Bjork - Post

Flaming Lips - Hit To Death In the Future Head

Mindless Self Indulgence (actually I didn't enjoy this stuff much)

Ween - Live in Chicago (Audio CD from the DVD boxset, gotta buy this soon)

So this weekend...

* Keyboard Corner Compilation 7/8 (just got it!)

* Still listening to Steve Winwood's "About Time." That's a long time for something to stay in rotation around here.

* Alien Cowboys "Lift." I heard them at the MIPA Awards in Frankfurt and met their producer, who sent me a copy. Cool, direct guitar-based rock instrumentals...sort of like if the Ventures had been born in the late 70s .

* Dieselboy - Dungeonmaster's Guide. A different take on drum and bass, I'm not always a huge fan of the genre but I like this CD.

Originally posted by rico2004:

Hello everyone,

Any Lenny Kravitz fans out there?

You betcha ! :wave:

I'm doing some Danny Gatton now though, just got done with some Red Elvises - George Benson is up next...followed by

- The Man - Django Reinhardt, I bought a 5 CD set at Tower records ($28) remastered from his earliest 78's - I was expecting crude sound - Ted Kendall did an excellant job of remastering these things - they sound very very good ! What year is this, 2004 ? Yes very good even for 2004...

Django used to play banjo - get it ? You know his grove...make sense now ? hehe an education for me...cool Django ...

...and we think that Hendrix and Van Halen, respectfully, were such innovators (as they were!) Django was just from another dimension - I'd love to know what influenced him and who the 'big rooster' was in his caravan that taught him ! Anyway DJANGO night - followed by Eddie Murphy - of course :thu:

• The Carter Family - Wildwood Flower
  • The Who - BBC Sessions
  • Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring
  • Cocteau Twins - Echoes In A Shallow Bay/Tiny Dynamine
  • Supergrass - In It For The Money
  • Accelera Deck - Echo Economy
  • Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
  • Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By
  • Einstürzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch
  • Red House Painters - Red House Painters (rollercoaster)
  • Autechre - compilation of tracks from Amber, Anti, Tri Repetae and Envane
  • Art Bears - Winter Songs

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Joe Jackson - Live 1980-86

Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Jeff Coffin Mu'Tet - Go-Round

Might pop in Brad Mehldau's Anything Goes or Fred Hersch's Dancing In The Dark later on tonight.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I got some free downloads from Music Now, so I went back in time..........

Neil Young's "Down By The River"

Melanie's "Lay Down/Candles In The Rain"

Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve/Saraievo 12/24"

I'm practicing making slideshow type music video's with the MyDVD program, my digital camera, and these songs for soundtracks. Just for funs, I'm making my own visual interpetations of the songs.

Great Fun !!!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by boosh:

Arrelllll Mon,... I actually received a Cap with a fish on it by mail this week.

It's orange and the fish lights up,...believe it or not. This post of yours is funny whaahaha are you psychic?

Sounds like a lie to me..

quit that dang lyin' bwah!

who would "send" you a fishin' cap?

Orange? with lights on it? get real boyo'..

I ain't fallin for no more of your lies..

I done fell for your lies once't when you convinced me you had my ceedee in your car..

I "actually" believed you.

Never again...

"Never trust foreigners" is my new rule..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived