Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling Software on Ebay?

I was thinking of picking up Native INstrument's Komplete 2 package. I own two qualifying products (FM7 and Reaktor), but you only need one. Whichever product you use to qualify is basically erased and brought under the Komplete 2 license. So, I was thinking I'd use FM7 as the qualifying product and sell Reaktor on ebay or whatever to help subsidize the purchase.

Is resale generally permitted under software companies licenses? Anybody ever sell any NI software in particular? Of course, I'd de-register Reaktor before shipping it out and I'd erase it from my hard drive, but I just want to make sure I'm covering everything before I'd post it on Ebay and commit to a buyer.

Thanks to anyone with advice.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was recent talk about this and it was heralded that you don't actually own the software - you license it. So the answer would basically be that it is usually unlawful to sell software second hand.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by NE-One:

There was recent talk about this and it was heralded that you don't actually own the software - you license it. So the answer would basically be that it is usually unlawful to sell software second hand.

And then we wonder why piracy is rampant and why software has such a low value associated with it. It can't legally be resold, as can be done with hardware. In most cases you can't even return it to the dealer if you're unhappy with it. :rolleyes:

From a legal standpoint,you'd need to read the End User Licence Agreement (EULA) for the particular software. NE-One is correct that, in most cases, the licence agreement states that you can't legally sell the software. Now, this may be moderated by any talk of 'transferring licence' in the EULA. This is one of the reasons so many softwares are using 'dongles' to activate software capabilities.

Depending on your own personal thoughts on the legal standing (or ethics) of this agreement, the decision must rest in your hands.

My opinion (FWIW) is that, once you buy something, you own it (at least that particular copy). What you choose to do with it is up to you, providing you're not pirating the software. In my opinion, what you're talking about doing is totally acceptable from an ethical standpoint.

The piracy question is certainly pertinent, but so is the practice of:

1-needing to agree to the EULA upon installation

2-if you don't agree to the EULA, you can't install the software

3-You can't return the software if the package has been opened

4-the EULA is not posted on the outside of the software package, so you can't read it before purchasing the software.

Catch-22, right? You buy Windows XP, install it, find out that it doesn't work efficiently with your older computer system, so you go back to Win98. What can you do with the brand new, not-installed copy of WinXP? According to the EULA, you can use the CD as a coaster, a target, or a frisbee.

I consider this practice to be less ethical than legitimately purchasing a software, using it, upgrading to another software, uninstalling the first version and selling it. Maybe it's me, but I don't see anything wrong with this.

(of course, you'll burn in hell...lol)

Ahh, ethical discussion on Friday morning. Refreshing.

-Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived