Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11SE vs MP7SE

Ever since I purchased the MP11SE, I've tried many other keybeds, and IMO nothing beats it for piano. I know it's all subjective, but I think Kawai nailed it. Although, when playing percussive or other instruments where a faster key return is needed, I find the MP11SE a little slow. How does the MP7SE compare?

Are the keys lighter and is the key return faster?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't specifically answer your question, but the original MP7 has one of the lightest/quickest hammer actions I've played. (And the MP10 was at the opposite end of the spectrum.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes it's faster. I tried it on the ES8. I think the RHIII is a great all around keybed.

Not a fan of the GF action, ironically because of the slow return you mentioned. It feels nothing like the Yamaha C7X i often play which i consider has the "perfect" action. But i'm biased towards that C7X so....it's all subjective at the end.

I can't specifically answer your question, but the original MP7 has one of the lightest/quickest hammer actions I've played. (And the MP10 was at the opposite end of the spectrum.)

How different is the original MP7 in terms of key action?

What are the differences between the MP11SE and the MP7SE? I had tried the Kawai VPC1 (at NAMM, so I was able to do instant comparisons) and though it was pretty good, but it really felt stiff in comparison to the MP11SE, which I thought was superb with regard to the piano action. Ideally I would like a "VPC2" with the newer action, but I understand that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I originally purchased the VPC1 and I liked it, but after trying the MP11SE I preferred it. But as I mentioned above, I like it for piano. It's a tad heavy for percussive or instruments needing a quick key return, which is why I'm asking about the MP7.

Unfortunately, not many stores carry it on display.

i almost bought the mp11se without ever playing it but ended up buying the mp7se which i like. so probably not helping with OPs question but the mp7se action feels nice, very weighty which should allow for a lot of nuance in terms of touch. that same action is a little exhausting after a 2+hr gig especially if youre playing upbeat stuff. imo, the tension/action is stronger than acoustic grand pianos-maybe more on par with a 9ft concert grand which are exhausting to play.

a salesman i was working with prepurchase said the action on the mp11se is superior to the mp7se. but thats a pretty subjective statement.

not related to your question but for gigs, i am glad i went with the mp7se. it is incredibly heavy as is, and the mp11se is like another 30-40 pounds.

So now I'm confused. You're saying the MP7SE action feels nice, very weighty?

The MP11SE keybed is pretty light IMO compared to a lot of keyboards I've tried, but the only thing bothering me is the slow key return.

I'm really hoping the MP7SE has a faster key return and that the key weight is a tad lighter than the MP11SE.

I played both of these back-to-back at winter NAMM in 2018, and the MP11 SE is the beefier (and weightier) action. It feels and responds almost exactly like an acoustic grand piano. It would be my model of choice if I were simply trying to directly substitute or replace an acoustic stage piano with a DP.

The MP7SE now uses the same RHIII triple sensor action as the Kawai ES8, and is a lighter, faster action in general. It also has excellent piano response but also handles it's internal EP's, organs, strings, synth sounds, etc very well because it's action is both lighter and quicker. I could easily do things like trills on it because it's action was so responsive.

I know that it can be hard to find Kawai pianos to demo, but you might be able to locate a nearby Kawai home piano dealer in your area and demo the ES8, if nothing else.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I played both side by side for about an hour a few weeks ago -- the MP7SE was easier/faster to play than the MP11SE, and as I recall the key depth was shorter in the MP7, so the key return distance is shorter. The key return speed/force I think was about the same in the two.

The MP11SE felt like an authentic grand piano action. The MP7SE felt like a compromise, neither acoustic piano action nor organ/synth action, rather something in between.

Ah SE, Second Edition, MP7SE:

NEW -Class-leading Responsive Hammer III keyboard action

NEW GFP-3 triple pedal unit manufactured by Kawai (optional)

NEW Stunning SK-EX, SK-5, and EX acoustic grand piano sounds

Strong selection of electric piano, organ, synth, brass, etc. sounds

Authentic Tonewheel organ sim with drawbars, percussion, C/V

Wide variety of Virtual Technician and sound editing parameters

Intuitive panel with four independent zones, assignable effects

Powerful MIDI 4-channel master controller functions

1/4" unbalanced outputs, 1/4" inputs with Line In level fader

High-quality F-10H single pedal unit manufactured by Kawai

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

If I was getting a new DP, I would get the ES8, I like to have my Extreme 76

extremely close to my Bottom DP keys negating use of its controls. The ES110

is a lot lighter but doesn't have the high end keybed, I would have to play it

first as well as the ES8.

I should be getting one tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Congratulations! I have an MP6 and I really like the Pianos, the flexible intuitive interface and great integrated controller capabilities. I have been eyeing upgrading and getting an MP7SE also. Please let us know how you like it!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Well I got the MP7. The good news. It's a mini-me version of the MP11. The black keys are not slippery and the key return is slightly faster. The thing that bothers me most about it is the key return bouncing noise. It's as though the keys bounce 3-4 times when you let go. I don't know if this is something I can get used to.

What I like about the MP11. No key bounce noise. It feels solid. What bothers me about the MP11 are the slippery black keys and the key return isn't as fast as the MP7.

I like slippery, makes key to key easier

Well I got the MP7. The good news. It's a mini-me version of the MP11. The black keys are not slippery and the key return is slightly faster. The thing that bothers me most about it is the key return bouncing noise. It's as though the keys bounce 3-4 times when you let go. I don't know if this is something I can get used to.

What I like about the MP11. No key bounce noise. It feels solid. What bothers me about the MP11 are the slippery black keys and the key return isn't as fast as the MP7.

The MP11 might introduce less "keybounce-noise", but the keys bounce back the same when released.

I really wanted to like the MP11 and can go over to a friend owning one. It´s a 15min drive only, so I did for several times.

The "key bounce when released" was the deal breaker for me and I hate reading it´s the same w/ the MP7SE (which I never played up to now).

I wonder if the triple-sensor-technology compensates for keybounce when playing repetitions and not only for internal sounds but also for MIDI out.

The spring loaded balanced weighted action of my 29 years old MK80 is the only one I´m aware of not bouncing back at all.

It´s noisy nonetheless and even we replaced key return and key landing felts,- but it doesn´t bounce and that´s what I like for digital keyboards being used as MIDI controllers also.

But,- on the MK80 I hate internal sounds (when I use ´em at all today) trigger earlier than outgoing MIDI notes,- so there´s a little "flam" audible always w/ midied percussive attack sounds.

I know, keys bounce on an acoustic piano too, but I don´t think manufacturers should focus acoustic piano and original action behaviour too much WHEN offering a wider sound palette and MIDI masterkeyboard functionality in addition.

IMO it doesn´t make sense copying the disadvantages of an acoustic piano´s action for a digital multi-timbral instrument.

A.C.

I like slippery, ...

I like it much more when wet ...

:D

A.C.

It was wet

The MP11 might introduce less "keybounce-noise", but the keys bounce back the same when released.

I really wanted to like the MP11 and can go over to a friend owning one. It´s a 15min drive only, so I did for several times.

The "key bounce when released" was the deal breaker for me and I hate reading it´s the same w/ the MP7SE (which I never played up to now).

I wonder if the triple-sensor-technology compensates for keybounce when playing repetitions and not only for internal sounds but also for MIDI out.

The spring loaded balanced weighted action of my 29 years old MK80 is the only one I´m aware of not bouncing back at all.

It´s noisy nonetheless and even we replaced key return and key landing felts,- but it doesn´t bounce and that´s what I like for digital keyboards being used as MIDI controllers also.

But,- on the MK80 I hate internal sounds (when I use ´em at all today) trigger earlier than outgoing MIDI notes,- so there´s a little "flam" audible always w/ midied percussive attack sounds.

I know, keys bounce on an acoustic piano too, but I don´t think manufacturers should focus acoustic piano and original action behaviour too much WHEN offering a wider sound palette and MIDI masterkeyboard functionality in addition.

IMO it doesn´t make sense copying the disadvantages of an acoustic piano´s action for a digital multi-timbral instrument.

A.C.

I have both the 11 and 7. The keys on the 11 definitely doesn't bounce back like the repetitive bounce of a 7. These 2 keybeds are completely different in every way.

I have both the 11 and 7. The keys on the 11 definitely doesn't bounce back like the repetitive bounce of a 7. These 2 keybeds are completely different in every way.

So,- you own a MP11 and a MP7,- or a MP7SE ???

The keys on a standard MP11 DID bounce when being released and when I played it.

It made playing fast repetitions on a single key hard for me.

Now,- that leaves the question if the MP7SE´s keys bounce more than the MP11´s,- or less ...

???

A.C.

I have both the MP11SE and MP7SE. The bounce noise and repetition on the MP7SE is extremely noticeable. As a matter of fact, you hardly hear the noise on the MP11SE and the bounce isn't noticeable.

If it wasn't for the noise and bounce repetition from the MP7SE, I would have kept it.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to all who posted about the feel of the Kawai MP keys..

I have an old Kawai MP 9000 - it still works great after many years of playing. Love the easy to use controls! The grand piano, electric piano, organ, and string sounds still work for me!

Now that it's old - some keys make a bit more noise (clicking). I never noticed too much bounce on hammering a single key.

I wish the old Keyboard mag was around to do a digital piano shootout. There are Korgs, Nords, Kurzweil, Roland, Casio, Yamaha, and Kawai stage pianos (no speakers).

Not easy to actually demo these in person at a store. Keep posting your thoughts!

Anyone using that Casio PX3000? What stage 73 key? has has the best piano feel, instruments/sounds and features?

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707