Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Universal Plea: "That said..." No More

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

"Irregardless" is about as bad as it gets.

Agreed! Another stinker is when someone substitutes "down the pipe" for "down the pike."

---> "There's a new project coming down the pipe."

---> "Great! Call the plumber."

Another one is a bad substitution (they vary) for the phrase "for all intents and purposes."

---> "That's right, for all intensive purposes."

---> "No, it's wrong, and your grammar needs intensive care."

And I HATE when people end a sentence with "'n' 'at" (contractions of "and that").

---> "We were just shootin' pool 'n' 'at."

---> "Ooh, be careful, Minnesota Fats. There's some "bad English" on your cue ball."

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I've noticed a new one lately, that some people will make a statement and turn it into a question ???

Maybe they do it to keep you awake ??

You know, looking for the "nod of approval" ??

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

I've noticed a new one lately, that some people will make a statement and turn it into a question ???

Maybe the do it to keep you awake ??

You know, looking for the "nod of approval" ??

Like that one time at band camp?

Originally posted by Anderton:

Another fave: "Most unique." Either something is unique, or it isn't. Something can't be more unique than something else by definition, because if it's unique, there's nothing else like it.

Craig's been filled with too much of this from my press releases over the years. :D

Of course, when it comes to the ability to hyperbolize, my skills rank among the most unique of all the superlative-slingers in the known universe!

- Jeff

"Helloooooooo?"

"Who knew?"

The interrogative "How cool is that?" instead of the declarative "That's cool". Any declarative-interrogative inversion.

"Touch base"

"Let's discuss that offline", when having a conversation in person, not online.

The overuse of "copasetic" or "copacetic".

"That's so last-week, last-year", etc.

Jeeesh..... or is Geeezzz?

Seeing youall dis others' use language makes me feel most unworthy of my membership in this most interesting forum. Dare I say " I'm not worhty"!

Yes, I part yous company with a bleeding heart and a tear in my eye. But, alas, all good things really must come to an end.

So I, voluntarily and on my own will, OFF myself out this forum.

You may find, if ever my company you wish to enjoy, at "Sebastian the Asexual" icon's web site, for there, I will attempt the refinement of my use of the written arts til it is worhty again of sharing with others.

Love I shared, patience I bared, only to be discriminated against, by my own kind.

Haters!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by djwayne:

People who say "Me Thinks", annoys the hell out of me.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

- Queen Gertrude, from Hamlet.

This is one of Shakespeare's most famous jokes, as the queen is referring to an actor in a play whose character represents Queen Gertrude, herself. - Gertrude has not figured out this relationship. Which perhaps inspires the lines "Frailty, thy name is woman" and "Conceit in weakest bodies strongly works."

Speaking of Shakespeare, it annoys me to no end when someone says:

"Therein lies the rub."

That must be from the Simpsons version of Hamlet. The actual line is

"Aye, there's the rub."

In today's American English, we would say...

"Yes, but there's a catch" or "Right, but here's the problem."

...indicating that although we've just described something quite desirable, it has a prohibitive price attached to it.

Just forget about that "therein" nonsense.

Originally posted by 20to20:

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Sheesh, it must really bother you when people, um... talk. :P

Obviously... :rolleyes:
No. What I find bothersome is people giving no thought to what they say.

If there are no spoken or written phrases that annoy or irritate you, then I admire your patience and your tolerance. You have far more of both than I do.

<>

Hmmm...yes, ultimately works very well as a substitute for "At the end of the day." The only fine point is it refers to a final aim or object, whereas "At the end of the day" is more casual...like "okay, day's over, here are the results" instead of "I expect this to happen by the end of the day."

As you can tell, I'm a recovering ediholic :) .

Other people have touched on this but the verbing of things is getting out of hand.

"Whatever".

rough translation depends on context- generally corresponds to - "thats screwed up but i really don't care"

"Im like (pick your adjective)"

...No you are not "like stupid" you are stupid.

The most common rapper phrase..

"You know what I'm talkin about"

.. no I dont.

As a bit of Hendrix trivia I note that he was the first person ever to use this phrase- in 1967 goin into the solo on "Let me stand next to your fire"

"So be it".

...So be it what???

Whatever....

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by polyt:

Other people have touched on this but the verbing of things is getting out of hand.
I'm no ediholic, but I do hope that was intentional. ;)
Can you say 'irony'? I knew you could!

Well, you have to conjoin disparate thoughts somehow, so, whether it's however, on the other hand, still, or our old fave, but, ya gotta say somethin'.

(Now, me, I'm getting tired of obsessively literate types who drop into grammatically incorrect colloquialism from time to time, as though to prove they are still one of the guys.)

Mayhap our linguistic idiosyncrasies come from other languages. Heaven forfend!

So the hated and awkward "My bad" could be a literal translation of the Chinese 我的错 (wo3 de5 cuo4) "My mistake", "My wrong", "My error".

Ain't everyfish done been comin' from Europe!

-Hoax

Originally posted by Cruel Hoax:

Mayhap our linguistic idiosyncrasies come from other languages. Heaven forfend!

So the hated and awkward "My bad" could be a literal translation of the Chinese 我的错 (wo3 de5 cuo4) "My mistake", "My wrong", "My error".

Ain't everyfish done been comin' from Europe!

-Hoax

Wow! This fellow is a cunning linguist!

;)

6 months?!!! More like for the past 12 years since I emigrated to the USA from England, I have had to put up with Americans saying "D'you want a spot of tea?" in really bad imitation English accents.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! No one, I repeat, NO ONE, in England ever says this.

The phrase is "Would you like a POT of tea?"

OK? Got that?

That being said, I do like tea (hot, with cold milk, of course!), so keep asking me..... :)

:DTR

The folks at the weather service have dozens. Among my "favorite"..."Thunderstorm activity", "convective activity", or "shower activity". How about just plain old thunderstorms?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think the misuse and abuse of the language is a result of people not reading enough.

A lot of 20 and 30 something's parents didn't read and didn't teach their kids to read.

There are a lot of so called musicians, (who are presently making a lot of money, using bad english and generally butchering the language), we'll never see on these forums because they can't read.

And I hate double negatives; "You lookeded good." "Done did", etc. And, seen't.

There are so many I can't remember right now, I have to write some down and add them later.

Sly :cool:

Just heard one; pawneded!

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Two words that never belong together, but are often repeated in the following manner. (Usually in the Southern U.S.)

"...might could..." :freak::rolleyes:

As in, "I might could help you."

Either you might help me or you could help me. But you never might could help me.

That anyone thinks this is correct use of these words is mystifying to me.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Instant idiot stamp;

Go ahead and.... warm up your synapses to say what you really mean but don't have the brains or the balls to say it in the first place.

Where's it at? You mean -Where is it?

Supposibly

Eksetra

Her and me

Don't have none (Then you must have some)

Ambliance

Nukular

Ocifer

Archived