Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Universal Plea: "That said..." No More

Perhaps you, too, have noticed something that over the past six months or so I have found increasingly annoying. Not just here, everywhere, in print and spoken.

Someone will make a point with a few sentences or remarks, pause (or start a new paragraph) and continue with "That said..." or "That having been said..." or the equivalent. OF COURSE that was just said! There is no need to point out that something was said. Just please continue without it.

This habit is spreading like a virus. The use of this phrase is pointles and irritating. Although it's a different form of language abuse ,it's still as bad as "At this point in time" instead of "now". I hate that, too.

Are there other phrases like these that make you want to scream?

Thanks for allowing me to vent and please join me in my universal plea: "That said.." No More.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe, That having been said = but

long form for use by the literary amongst us ! ;)

That having been said I will retire for the evening with a bottle of brandy (or a Rolling Rock, hehe) and the 'Master and Commander' DVD - take me away from all of this madness ! :idea:

Hmm. Coincidentally, I just used "that said" in another post. :D I haven't noticed it being used any more in the past six months than before, really. I've always heard it in use quite often. Usually, it's used when you are aware that you're about to say something that might appear to be contradictory, e.g.:

I think smoking pot is wrong, and I don't smoke it.

That having been said, I am in favor of legalizing pot.

The reason for adding "That having been said" is because a lot of people will have a knee jerk reaction if you say something like "I'm in favor of legalizing pot," such as "Are you crazy? You hippie leftist pinko, you've probably smoked so much pot your brain has rotted!" And then you have to say, "Look bozo, I JUST SAID I don't smoke pot and I don't approve of it!"

If the usage of this phrase HAS risen of late, it's probably due to a higher percentage of people who aren't paying attention to what you're actually saying, but have preconceived ideas that everything has to fit into, so they only go looking for catch phrases that they have predetermined responses to. The phrase may be annoying to you, but not half as annoying as people who respond to something without paying attention.

That having been said, I will keep in mind that the phrase is annoying to you. :D:P

Yeah, I like, um, write for a living and stuff, actually. Not that all we people who get paid to write are perfect at our craft, no.

That said, allow me to point out that while this may be your personal pet peeve, it's perfectly acceptable use of language for the reasons Lee pointed out.

You may want to look into altenatives such as "nevertheless", the more wordy yet accurate "in spite of the above", or the simple and direct "however". :thu:

- Jeff

The phrase doesn't indicate that something has been said. It's a seque to another idea that contradicts the first one in some way. "That said, ..." is a substitute for "Despite that, ..."

I understand your point. If a phrase is repeated to the point of being a cliché, it can be annoying, or at least distracting.

That said, I LIKE the phrase and shall continue to use it.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

That said, I LIKE the phrase and shall continue to use it.

http://www.moviestar-photos.com/graphics/234/234125.jpg
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I butcher the language pretty bad. But I do not say "kindly." It's kindly like this. Or kindly like that. Ooh, that makes my skin crawl. I thought one of my friends was the only guy on planet earth that says this all the time but, recently, I heard another guy saying it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

My pet peeve is more common in broadcast commercials, and is the redundant phrase: "located at."

For example, "Joe's Garage, located at 8th & Broadway..."

Just say, "at!"

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

I hate the word "irregardless". Don't hear that too much any more. Until recently you wouldn't find it in a dictionary because it wasn't considered a word. "Regardless" is the proper word. Kind of double negativeville.

Another one is "reoccur". It's "recur". Drives me batty.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I hate it when innocent words are turned into verbs against their will:

Like 'visioning'

or 'repurposing'

It's all corporate-speak which has no real meaning; the purpose of which is to make the writer sound (falsely) like he is more than an idiot with a college degree.

That said...

(just kidding)

Originally posted by philbo_Tangent:

I hate it when innocent words are turned into verbs against their will:

Like 'visioning'

or 'repurposing'

It's all corporate-speak which has no real meaning; the purpose of which is to make the writer sound (falsely) like he is more than an idiot with a college degree.

That said...

(just kidding)

Wow...that reply was way outside the box

:rolleyes:

;)

:D

"What color is your paradigm?"

OK...I'll stop

Lynn G

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

I hate the word "irregardless".

It's not a word. Not at all. In fact, it's reached joke status... a cliche for people who have no mastery of the language.

- Jeff

It's weird though. I just found it in a dictionary. I guess usage has turned it into a word, or at least enough to worthy mention. This is more than I used to find when proving to peole years ago that is was not a word.

irregardless

adv : in spite of everything; without regard to drawbacks; "he carried on regardless of the difficulties" [syn: regardless, irrespective, disregardless, no matter, disregarding]

is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Interesting thread. I find it lively, informative, and acute. That said, I have no other purpose, myself for posting here. Heretofore, I shall find some other reasonable means for entertaining myself in the future.

[editied because TheWewus would want it that way]

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - I approved this message.

I seen it. I knowed it. Acksed.

And my young son says "Er . . ." I've actually never knowed anyone who actually said "er". I seen it written a lot but until my 13 year old, and he's been saying it since he was at least 7, I've never heared it. "Um" and "uh" are it's more popular rivals.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

How about "Obviously?" Obviously, if it's obvious, you don't need to say it...right?

Another fave: "Most unique." Either something is unique, or it isn't. Something can't be more unique than something else by definition, because if it's unique, there's nothing else like it.

"At the end of the day." Thankfully this is starting to fade away. It was a hipper substitute for "When all is said and done," which I didn't like either. The French have a single word that means the same thing, "enfin," but we don't. The closest we have is "In the end."

Archived