Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about local radio rates

Some friends of mine are opening a new dental office... To help them out I"m thinking of doing a 30 second radio spot and a 15 second spot... I know how to do the recordings and all that stuff... But what I don't know anything about is: What do the stations charge for playing these spots??? I live in New York City, it's going to be aimed to New York City... anybody have any idea of what it costs to have ad spots played on local radio stations?? Any info appreciated, thanks...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call and ask them to send you a media kit and a rate sheet. They kick back 15% - 20% to whoever buys the time. You could keep it or pass the savings to your client (friend).

Rates tend to vary wildly depending on the station's ratings, time of day and what's airing at the time. You have to get rate sheets from individual stations, or better yet just call the station's ad rep... sometimes rates are negotiable.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

sometimes rates are negotiable.

Everything is negotiable :D

Tradivoro,

Buying media successfully is a lot like buy stock. There are ways to pick great values that can deliver an excellent return on investment; there are also ways to waste a lot of money.

You could contact Arbitron and see how much it costs receive radio ratings books (the stations pay a fortune to subscribe, advertisers pay far less). Then you can have some fundimental demographics knowledge about each station in the market. There is a science to making a good radio buy that goes beyond reading a ratings book, but at least you'll know who are all the players and what audience they reach. Certainly, there is a big difference between 1010WINS, Z100, and CD101.9.

You'll need to produce :30 and :60 for radio. A :15 or a :10 are common for TV. You might go just a few frames below :30 and :60 so you never run the risk of a spot getting cut off at the end.

If you want to send me a PM, I can give you more advice on how to work directly with a station (or stations), deal with an ad agency or media buyer, etc.

Hi Mark, thanks very much for the info and for your offer.... Right now, this is still in the embryonic stage, they were thinking about it, I knew I could do part of it, but beyond that, things were nebulous... But, if they should go beyond the present stage, I will definitely contact you so you can point me in the right direction... Much appreciated...

Archived