Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I forget how much I like this, sometimes...

Photography.

I've been shooting, in earnest or otherwise, for about 30 years now. Every now and then I have a day where little things happen and I get shutterlicious. Today was one of those days. Just when I felt I was running out of stuff to shoot, along comes the owner of this car, while we were eating at an outdoor bistro in Winter Park, CO.

The star on the bumper is real. No filters involved.

aaaaahhhhhhh.....

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/opel.jpg

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know... speaking of photography, and colorado...

Colorado has some of the most amazing sunsets ever..

*hint* *hint* ;)

I hear you though... my dad digs photography.. used to have a darkroom set up in the basement, etc.. it was something i got into when i was younger, but it remains one of the many things i never have time for...

Enjoy it for me too!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I don't really get the 'art' of photography. All the art is done for you, you just capture it.

I do sometimes take photos, but it's not something I could get all into like a hobby or artistically.

Originally posted by The Studio Pet-Rock:

Nice! Don't see very many Opel GTs around anymore.

How's the weather in Colorado? I'm taking a trip down there in the next month.

F'ing gorgous. We haven't had a greener summer in several years. I had forgotten how colorful things could be out here.

Offramp, as a true loser engineer, I would've never noticed the star had you not pointed it out. How embarassing.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Colorado has some of the most amazing sunsets ever...
You mean like these?

http://www.foothillsstudios.com/images/banners/sunset_web.jpg

http://www.foothillsstudios.com/images/banners/flatirons_web.jpg

http://www.foothillsstudios.com/images/banners/green_mountain_web.jpg

http://www.foothillsstudios.com/images/banners/eagle_wilderness_web.jpg

I just happened to have a few up. :rolleyes:

Pet-Rock: No doubt. Most all I've seen have been rustbuckets.

NE-One: It's a '69. The guy's had it since '86.

Phait: That's kind of an odd and depressing outlook. Yes, in many aspects, the art's "done for you", but you gotta be able to see it. In this example, this particular angle of the car no one's gonna see unless they're about to be run over by it. Otherwise, about the only way this view is going to be seen is either on the drawing board or in the camera lens. (Oh, a dog might see this angle, but he's color-blind and doesn't have opposable thumbs to operate a camera with.)

And what of your self-portrait in your avatar, with your missing eyes? Was that 'done for you'? Did you just 'capture' it? If your eyes are missing, how did you see it to 'capture' it in the first place? And what of music? Is it all 'done for you', and you just put it on tape?

Here's another one:

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/bourbon.jpg

I can guaran-damn-tee you this 'art' wasn't 'done for me'. This is a bottle I saw some beauty in; I put it on a serving tray with a white tablecloth, set the whole thing on my dining/kitchen table, some flags and reflectors to manipulate the light, and a low-light source on key parts of the label. Aside from the low-light source, this is all natural light.

Stop by my website and see how many other pictures were 'done for me'. I'd be curious to know.

Pet-Rock: We have some nice sunrises, too.

:D

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/Sundaymorn/01.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/Sundaymorn/02.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/Sundaymorn/09.jpg

(yes, Phait...these were 'done for me'. I made the choice to see them, though. That entailed 'effort', nonetheless.)

Offramp,

You're making me home sick...I moved from Denver to LA almost three years ago. Damn I miss those sunsets.

(I hate LA)

Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by gearmike:

Offramp,

You're making me home sick...I moved from Denver to LA almost three years ago. Damn I miss those sunsets.

(I hate LA)

Mike

It's everyone's favorite place to hate......but it is a really interesting place on many different levels. If you told me everything that you hated about L.A., I'll bet that I would agree with just about everything!!

The things I do like about it are its diversity and its geographic diversity (mountains, beaches, deserts, etc.), all very close by.

Anyway, photography is also one of my favorite things to do, as you can probably tell if you visit my web site. Travel photography is a big favorite of mine.

Originally posted by gearmike:

Offramp,

Mike

...and the thin air...and the lack of humidity...and the sunshine...and the lower quotient of stupidity...and the big sky...

come home. dude. :D

Purty sparkle on the opal.

purty sunsets against the mountains

I watched a dog once sidle up to a bread truck stand up with it's paws against the truck and reach up and gently(so as not to tear it)pluck a loaf off the rack and the he trotted off keeping an eye on the store as if he had done it all a hunner'd times. that would have made a goode photo.

I have often thought of doing claanders of odd stuffs. .

like pictures of ONLY skid marks going into trees. there are quite a few around here that every so often have a fresh double track of skid marks into a big ol' tree with a scarred up trunk.. ahahaha!

many where the road is a TEE intersection and tthe skid marks go right off the road and you see the furrows in the ditchless plowed field. once or twice a year at least. maybe i could get different seasons of skidmarks.. ahahaha!

Then I would like to make ANOTHER calender of leaned over buildings. 'you know them ones that looks if they 'bout to go over at any time? and you wonder why they ain't?

or one of FARM animals peeing or in the act of defecating. you could keep that tasteful or not.depending on your target aud uh calender shoppers. .. That one would go in the bathroom or be on the bathroom door.

how about one showing hawks flying with meesses and froggies and snakes in they claws. I see those a lot lately. it's really cool watchin' them go over. A calender of those would sell I'm sure.

I have a digi cam and i'll snap a few to see iffen i can capture the idea mo' bettah.. who knows I may have a goode idee here.

Marketing and producing the calenders would be a real chore and maybe I could try to keep the costs down from an order by order production schedule.

how about before and after axe side by side pics of axes used on stage by the more abusive players.. You know sweaty and all greasy and brokestrangs after, all purty and polished before the show?

i wish I could have learned all about photography earlier yet now a goode digi cam will get you through.. ahahaha!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Originally posted by Phait:

I don't really get the 'art' of photography. All the art is done for you, you just capture it.

I do sometimes take photos, but it's not something I could get all into like a hobby or artistically.

The art is in the eye. Anyone can snap a picture..."This is Aunt Clara in Niagara Falls". Photography as art, or that which involves telling a story...photojournalism, involves being there at the right time, but moreover having the eye and perception to realize that something astounding, cool, or of extreme human interest is going on, and being able to compose the shot to tell that story. Lighting, film type, darkroom skills, all that come into play.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The art in photography is also not only about what is taken, but HOW it's taken. If photography were just about an image, then a song would be just a song, and it wouldn't matter whether who sung a particular song - Billie Holliday or Michael Bolton.

A good photo can also be about conveying a feeling or emotion, transcending a mere image. It evokes a place, makes you laugh or cry or feel empathy or a million other things.

Or it can be a snapshot of your Uncle Harry and your cousins standing in front of a stone monument commemorating someone that you can't quite remember who from 200 years ago. :D

Originally posted by Phait:

Heh...

I don't get the "art" of audio engineering. All the art is done for you by the musicians, you just capture it.

;)

Obviously, there's more to good engineering than pressing "record", and there's more to good photography than clicking a shutter. I art direct photo shoots all the time, and I'm constantly impressed by the small details that good photographers bring to the end result.

- Jeff

Archived