Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg minilogue XD

Has anyone played one of these yet?

I'd say it has a pretty good sound for a budget synth.

At $619.99, I wonder if the keyboard is playable. Full size keys?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't played it yet, but I'm quite interested, because of the microtuning, the ability to load user oscillators into the digital engine (several interesting ones out there, including a port of the Plaits oscillator featured in the Eurorack module of the same name; and a physical modeler called Pluck), and general value for the money.

i do know that it does not have full size keys and I know how a lot of peeps here feel about that. I'll buy one just to bring something to the next MAKCF hang.

My current favorite controller for iPad softsynths is my Korg Monologue, which has the same size keys so I'm already used to the size.

I had the original minilogue and just could not get used to the keys ... personal preference I would guess

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I had the original minilogue and just could not get used to the keys ... personal preference I would guess

Similar story for me, though it just happened with a Minilogue XD.

I did think about stretching the extra $$ and going with a Prologue 8, but went with a black Blofeld Keyboard instead. Though it's modeled - vs true analog - I'm quite happy with the instrument. Lots of sounds the Minilogue XD doesn't cover, and it'll still rumble and shake walls and windows. That said, I still give the Miniogue XD high marks. For the money, there's nothing out there that can do 4-voice analog that well. I'll bet Korg sells a lot of them.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

THe bleeps blops and slightly bleak standard sounds aside, even though I'm sure some fin them interesting, this reminds me of the issues you get when you take a microprocessor (like started in the 70s) and some analog synthesis circuits, and try to make cool sounds: how fast can modulations be put in from digital, and how can they be tuned ? You could have a full spectrum saw coming out the analog part, filter at nearly full resonance at a high audio frequency, and the variations with ever so slight static tuning or dynamic minimal modulation (FM, amplitude, filter frequency, and more complicated) can be staggering.

WIll it be a nice sound though ? That's possibly the difference between a well behaved (original ?) Prophet, and screamy, nice but not too much cigar Korg. And certainly programmability of the analog part is interesting, but why's a Voyager so much more expensive than a Minimoog clone ?

T.V.