Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos crash

richforman

So after putting it off for a long time, found myself with some spare time last night and decided to finally apply the recent operating system update to my Kronos 2 61. Downloaded it from Kork (version 3.13), followed the instructions, all seemed to go well, it quickly said "update complete," and wouldn't you know, after I then turned the unit off, it wouldn't boot any more, continually kept failing with "SYSTEM STARTUP FAILED" with the horizontal red line about 1/3 the way across. I did some googling and some people have posted about the same error message, but there was no obvious fix. I am not someone who's competent or comfortable taking the keyboard apart to look at connections or reseat the RAM, but it seems like the issue must be software-related anyway since it happened right after I did the OS update.

So I'm going to take my K2 to a local authorized service shop that is fast, reliable, has a great reputation and I've used before. I have no doubt that they'll know how to get my machine booting up again. My hope is that they'll be able to do this without resetting/initializing the whole unit so that I lose all my data; my fear is that they won't.

I had the common sense to back everything up before I did the software update. I did a Save All and chose the file name ALL. Backed it up to both a USB stick and to the Kronos' hard drive.

My hope is that if the shop does need to reinitialize my unit, I'll be able to use my saved files to get all my programs, combis and waveforms back; it's the last that has me the most concerned. (By the way, I do this same operation of saving All to "ALL," both to my Kronos' hard drive and to a USB stick from which I then copy the files onto my computer, every month or two; I have "ALL.KSC" in my Auto-Load KSC setting and all is well...but I've never had to reinitialize).

One reason I'm very wary is that I bought the Kronos used a few years back and I *believe*, am not positive that it had third-party waveforms and programs (maybe just third-party programs using on-board waveforms? I don't know) that had been added (and that I use happily in many of my Combi's).

SO, I have these questions. 1) If third-party sounds like I believe Burning Busch had been added to my unit before I bought it, and if it now gets reinitialized in order to get past my current issues, will I still have them if I load from the .KSC file I created last night?

And also will I be able to load my previously saved .KSC onto my reinitialized machine by copying that file and whatever other ALL.* files/folders were created, onto the Kronos' hard drive and adding it back into the Auto-Load?

Time will tell, fingers crossed.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SO, I have these questions. 1) If third-party sounds like I believe Burning Busch had been added to my unit before I bought it, and if it now gets reinitialized in order to get past my current issues, will I still have them if I load from the .KSC file I created last night?

Not sure about the .KSC load, but as far I understand, the purchases should be tied into your public ID for your Kronos unit, so you should be able to get in touch with the companies and get the necessary files to upload to your Kronos if all else fails.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I did some googling and some people have posted about the same error message, but there was no obvious fix.

Ummm...this is not encouraging. I just downloaded 3.13 and was thinking to update my Kronos X. How many people are having problems?

My apprehension is partly based on the bad experience I recently had trying to get my Behringer Model D updated. Complete fiasco. Yuk. Yes, I'm well aware that they're different companies and all that, but still...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I did some googling and some people have posted about the same error message, but there was no obvious fix.

Ummm...this is not encouraging. I just downloaded 3.13 and was thinking to update my Kronos X. How many people are having problems?

Grey

Flawless here . 2011 Kronos

Havent seen negative reports

Wait a week or longer if a worry

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

How big is the update and how does it work? I had a problem updating my Kawai ES8 recently (it simply did not start after the upgrade). After a few failed attempts with different firmware versions I used a different USB stick (good provenance this time) and it finelly worked.

I suppose Kronos update is much bigger than ES8's and signed and verified before being applied but, if not, try using a different media to update it (assuming you can put your Kronos back into update mode).

I updated my 2 Kronos 2's, including doing the firmware update.

No problems at all.

I suppose you could always do a restore back to the factory first with the DVD's, if you have a USB DVD drive. Then try the update again?

Any Libraries would need to be installed again, but because there's no hardware change all your re-authorizations will still work. So if you did back up everything including third party samples, and KSC's, it all should work once copied back to the SSD.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Updated my LS 88 with no issues, sorry to hear it caused problems for you

How do you like the action on the LS, nursers? Does it have enoug reisistance for APsand EPs? I have heard it has a similar action to awell maintained Rhodes-is that true?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Updated my LS 88 with no issues, sorry to hear it caused problems for you

How do you like the action on the LS, nursers? Does it have enoug reisistance for APsand EPs? I have heard it has a similar action to awell maintained Rhodes-is that true?

Sadly I've not ever played a real Rhodes, but I really really like the LS action. That said, 95% of what I play is rock covers where I don't need (or want) a full piano weighted action but like the feel of a fuller key.

So I'm extremely happy but I can imagine some don't like it at all :thu:

As an aside, I bought this to be my main gigging board but even the LS is just too heavy in case for it to be a comfortable haul, so I only bring it out for bigger gigs. The MODX7 is my go-to board for day-to-day work.

Archived