Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

David Gilmour charity guitar auction

Dannyalcatraz

Just saw on the BBC that David Gilmour is auctioning off @120 guitars for charity. They didnt say if any of his more famous guitars will be on the block. But just in case...

Anyone got a spare million I can borrow?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saw on the BBC that David Gilmour is auctioning off @120 guitars for charity. They didnt say if any of his more famous guitars will be on the block. But just in case...

Anyone got a spare million I can borrow?

In fact it is all his famous guitars, the Black Strat, the gold Les Paul on 'Another Brick in the Wall', the Martin acoustic on 'Wish You Were Here', & on & on. 120 guitars in all. But perhaps most historically interesting is the 1954 Stratocaster serial # 0001. I hope the Smithsonian picks this one up, though there is no conceivable dollar figure which can realistically reflect the true value of this treasure.

Interesting to think that the instruments which have provided the sounds for some of the most important non-classical music of the last half century will likely end up in the penthouses of venture capitalists.

Scott Fraser

In fact it is all his famous guitars, the Black Strat, the gold Les Paul on 'Another Brick in the Wall', the Martin acoustic on 'Wish You Were Here', & on & on. 120 guitars in all. But perhaps most historically interesting is the 1954 Stratocaster serial # 0001. I hope the Smithsonian picks this one up, though there is no conceivable dollar figure which can realistically reflect the true value of this treasure.

Interesting to think that the instruments which have provided the sounds for some of the most important non-classical music of the last half century will likely end up in the penthouses of venture capitalists.

Wow. Now that may bring in some real money for the causes he is hoping to help. Best of Luck David.

I think I might be more interested...were I ever so...in a gtr from Dave Gilmore

Hello, Everybody, dig the F outta this !

Gilmour is cool but Gilmore is a K-Smash!

What ya gotta say ?

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

On the 0001 strat, I read an interview with him where he said he didn't believe it was the actual first strat ever made. It just wound up with that number somehow. I suppose he would know.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I love that Gilmour says that he won't really miss the black Strat because Fender gave him two that, to him, are identical to the original.

That reminds of Todd Rundgren and the Fool SG... a fan showed up at a show in Japan and gave him a replica he had made out of the same year SG, only it was much better (the original headstock on the original fool SG "rotted off" basically while owned by Jackie Lomax, since the guitar didn't have a lacquer coat after being sanded for the psychedlic paintjob and Lomax didn't particularly take good care of it... when Rundgren bought it he had to have lots of work done on it)... so he sold the original and kept the replica!

:laugh:

This might be a bit OT, but not by much.... ;)

A friend of mine once( facetiously I'll add...) suggested that ELVIS PRESLEY died a few YEARS before it was announced and that in the meantime, an Elvis "impersonator" made all of his live performances until the "suits" felt it expedient to finally let him "die". ;)

Just like some of us( me mostly) joked that president RONALD REAGAN died while in his first term, but was quietly replaced by actor DON DeFORE, and nobody noticed! :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived