Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kindoff like Jet but... heard better imitations. Listening and enjoying the Strokes and Ryan Adams way much more often. Kudos to all the bands that at least are reviewing the past for guys that were not alive during that period.

Haven't heard Kings of Leon but the raves are reverbating. Gotta get it.

<>

ain't gonna get no better than the new white stripes produced loretta lynn record. she's 72 or something and fronting a garage band. killer tunes.

i.e. "god doesn't make mistakes"

-d. gauss

ain't gonna get no better than the new white stripes produced loretta lynn record. she's 72 or something and fronting a garage band. killer tunes.

Ya think that one's pretty good ? Hmmm...I haven't had the pleasure yet - She's on the cover of 'No Depression' rag I picked up yesterday so maybe if I read the article - and she's got those Stripers under her thumb good enough then it might be pretty cool ! :wave:

White Stripes and Loretta Lynn? Is that true? I gotta check that out. Anyway, if you like Jet, which I do, you might wanna check out the Datsuns. A little rawer, but their record has at least three or four kick ass tunes after a year on my turntable. And if you need something heavier than that with more kick ass solos then you need to get some Nashville Pussy.

I heard a couple of songs from the Loretta Lynn/Jack White thing, and it's pretty good! You can check out sound clips at Aquarius Records, too. I heard one of the new songs on this cool radio station in Santa Monica, 103.1 FM.

Geenard - This is a fun Jet thread - I'm about to pull that thing back out again to compare against my new finds...but first Loretta Lynn...

I just picked up that one and it's fun - holy cow do her vocals take you to another world ! :thu:

Garage production and Garage band backing her up - like in the roughest sense of the term ! I love the looseness of the garage spirit but holy cow I don't know if I'd shake Jack White's hand or kick his ass if I met him...just kiddin but you get my drift.

I'll be thinkin on it some more - it sure was great hearing Loretta in a looser setting - I woulda kept the 'garage' feel but upgraded to at least a project studio sound. I'll bet the L.A. ME had a few words about that too...

I love the Jet CD, but I gotta admit just about every song on it is a rip-off of some other band. Maybe I should call it a "tribute CD" :rolleyes: I hear the Stones on tunes (mentioned above). The Beatles on another (it's not hidden at all) Oasis (Lazy Gun), Zeppelin (Take it or Leave it), Lenny Kravitz, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but there's nothing new there. That band could be anybody.

DRD

I LOVE Jet.

It is so refreshing to see a band that has a rocking 70's vibe about it. They are one of my influences now, instead of looking back on guys who are pratically dead now. Watching a band who are about the same age as me playing rock and roll is so totally cool.They have great vibe,talent, and vocals. They sound exactly the same live as they do on records. Bands that don't play the songs the way I like them (aka on the record) aren't very prone to grabbing my attention, or my money.

Jet steals a lot from the Stones and Beatles, as well as other bands,but come on who doesn't? Every single song I hear can remind me of another song I have heard. BTW, Take it or Leave It is an exact copy of a Clapton song.

.............I love the Jet CD... but ........

I hear the Stones ...Beatles ...Oasis.. Zeppelin...Lenny Kravitz...

And that....for those who are old enough or observant enough to understand....is what keeps pop and rock music alive for each new generation. It's a perfect, perfect system. How else could three or four chords tacked onto a finite combination of melody notes have survived since 1950? It's just perfect.

Follow any artist this way..Jet songs sound like Oasis songs to one guy...Oasis songs sound like Beatle songs to another..Beatle songs are complete rips or heavy influences of Motown, Elvis, and all those B-sides of late 50s singles that John/Paul used to almost copy verbatum to come up with their own song factory catalogue(which if you know, they freely admitted). And back further..Elvis ripped off the backbeat gospel stuff that made him feel like dancing when he was a kid. The 40's big band and 20's stuff is exactly the same way. Everything is temporary and nothing is new. And it's perfect for music.

Many of you may understand this and have studied it and compared artists and songs to previous generation works. And if you're at a certain age, you may get jaded, thinking there should be something "new" being invented in pop!

New? That's only because you have begun to realize, there has never been and never will be truly anything new in pop and rock. I am amazed even now at how I can listen to some record that I've loved for years and suddenly realize it is modeled after some song made years or decades earlier than the one I love! It happens all the time. What I thought was ingenious and one-of-a-kind is actually the result of someone somewhere being influenced by some other pop song and then writing a derivative version of it.

Look at those ecstatic kids in the audience on the Jet concert videos. Look at their reaction to the band. Look at their ages. What percentage of those kids see the similarities in Jet's look or sound or song structure to say, the Kinks..or the Beatles...or those old guys of the last generation, Oasis?

I'm impressed by Jet. I've been heavily into music since the early 60's. If Jet can hang on for seven or eight years and maintain the promising nature of their writing that's present this year, I think they have as good a shot at anyone at maintaining a permanent place in pop history.

Those kids in the Jet audience are 15-23 and most of them have no clue that Jet music is as perhaps as derivative as the Beatles music already was when it was written and recorded. Maybe some of the musicians in the audience see it, but what about the bulk of the Jet audience. These are just kids! This stuff is new!

This is what perpetuates pop art and moves it to the next generation of kids who are only 5 or 6 today. Jet just might last be the group cited as the influence for bands of the year 2024. Will many kids of 2024 do the research to see the possible derivation of each Jet song? Nah.

Originally posted by BOOKUMDANO:

[QBNew? That's only because you have begun to realize, there has never been and never will be truly anything new in pop and rock. [/QB]

Yes, that's right, those clever guys did everything back in the '60s!!! It stopped right there!

Dude, NO ONE thinks that the stuff Jet is doing is "new" or "breaking new ground", and yes, that includes kids. NO ONE is holding this band up to be something "new".

These are just kids! This stuff is new!

This is what perpetuates pop art and moves it to the next generation of kids who are only 5 or 6 today. Jet just might last be the group cited as the influence for bands of the year 2024. Will many kids of 2024 do the research to see the possible derivation of each Jet song? Nah.

Yah, but catalog product gets endlessly recycled these days, and that's a fairly new phenomenon. "Classic radio," box sets, etc. Growing up in the '70s, I raided my parents' records and could hear some Simon & Garfunkel which was cool but it wasn't like I could hit my mom up for some Sabbath. If you had a few dozen records as a teenager, that was pretty good.

Now though, crap... if I start having kids in a few years, they're gonna start off at 5 yrs old with their own copies of the entire recorded works of the Beatles, EWF, Stones, Led Zep, Sabbath, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Black Flag, etc. etc. Easy, practical access to everything ever. There's no excuse for a semi-awake person to not know where stuff comes from.

And having broadband at home and access to the All Music Guide, I mean... it's insane and unthinkable a few years ago how much knowledge you can get.

Golly!

Well, I disagree that innovation started and stopped in the 60's. I liked a lot of what was happening from 1960-69, and I particularly liked a little pocket of time that lasted about 4 weeks (as Paul Kantner used to say) in June-July of 1967.......but through all the phases of that decade, there was plenty of derivation in every act of every year. It didn't stop me from enjoying everything, but I and others could sure tell how a lot of things were being influenced. Including Zepplin and others towards 68 and so.

And in terms of kids who are 5 years old now having the full catalogue of every artist in those future days, I don't necessarily agree that access will matter. The kids will stock up on what they know and what they like for the most part. And for non-musician kids, that just might not include Beatles and such.

My kids are exposed to tons of music because I'm in the business. They're barely in their teens. They do know about the older bands/artists. They think the Beatles are corny and they pretty much laugh at Zepplin and others. That may or may not change. Perfectly ok with me because I know that whatever they eventually like in music will be fine for their time and desire...and they won't necessarily pick up on the derivation. It'll be new stuff to them. Which is fine.

And I'm still impressed with what Jet is doing and hope they continue to develop.

Yeah - I can dig it BOOK...let's just get Stephen Marcussen (or someone who knows what they're doing) to Master the Jet CDs - Pleeze :idea:

...or bounce them back for remixing if they're squished that bad again...

I don't really care whether a band is doing something new, what mainly matters to me is if they do it really well, and when it comes to rock and pop, "doing it really well" to me means with the right feel and passion as well as whether they can pull off the sounds. I think if that element is missing, the music gets called "derivative," which is not a compliment. If they do get it right, then they're "carrying on the torch" or "channeling" their influences, which is no problem. :D

You know, I bought the Jet. I realy enjoy the cd. It is not that I find anything original in it, but I enjoy hearing classic guitar sounds, and decent songwriting.

A good formula is a good formula. So what if they ripped off a Stones/Badfinger/ac dc riff. That is a good place to start off if you want inspiration. I would rather a band with it's influences in the past, then a band imitating someone that had a hit last week and creating a wall of similar tunes on radio.

I do not expect to have my life changed by every cd I buy. Sometimes I just want some new rock grooves. I was not disappointed with this one.

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

You know, I bought the Jet. I realy enjoy the cd. It is not that I find anything original in it, but I enjoy hearing classic guitar sounds, and decent songwriting.

A good formula is a good formula. So what if they ripped off a Stones/Badfinger/ac dc riff. That is a good place to start off if you want inspiration. I would rather a band with it's influences in the past, then a band imitating someone that had a hit last week and creating a wall of similar tunes on radio.

I do not expect to have my life changed by every cd I buy. Sometimes I just want some new rock grooves. I was not disappointed with this one.

Well said. I "just liked it" as well. Guitars sound great and its just cool ass rock n roll.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hey, the question is not whether it's new - not in rock and roll. Nothing new under the sun, and still only the same old twelve notes to play with in the Western world. The Big Question is:

Does it ROCK?

And in the case of Jet, the answer is YES. That's the beauty of it. All they do is rock. They don't do another goddamn thing but RAWK. They do it well, and they do it in the best tradition of all those bands that have been named, and it is something the world needs more of. There is not enough ROCK in the world anymore. Jet ROCKS. It's their job to ROCK, and they fucking get the job done.

One guitar, one amp, one pick, three chords. Perfection. Nothing new, nothing complicated, and nothing special, but when it's good, it is good. I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it. I like it. Yes I do. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Geenard:

Bummer, well it ain't for everybody. But I like the raw grind of the guitars and the early Faces/Who/Stones influences, and at times Humble Pie. Probably some Badfinger in there too. It defies most of whats on radio. I love the line in one of the songs "Had to leave town got a new apartment.....", I can relate! :)

So how's Lynchburg treatin' ya? (since you never got back in touch with me about getting together to hang out once you got here ;) )

Archived