Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great new band that is reminiscint of the whole 70's guitar band thing that we all used to love. Yeah they ain't virtuosos, but its rock n roll, it ain't Mozart. Anybody into these guys?
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not a rock & roll guy at all but I'm also very impressed by those guys. I saw Jet on tv and made a similar post here about them a couple of weeks ago. I really like "Are You Gonna Be My Girl". It has elements (to me) of Radar Love, My generation, and Sympathy for The Devil..with a singer who has nailed an attitude combination of Cobain, Ray Davies, and Rod Stewart. Really good songs. Really good players. I particularly liked the drummer's playing.

I wish I would have seen this two days ago before I went to Best Buy... I would have bought it then. As it is now, I'll either have to get it via Amazon or wait until they let me out of my cage again - which will probably be sometime in July. ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing them. Thanks for the tip.

Jet's "Get Born" is the best "pop music" CD I've bought in years. I rarely find myself listening to new music over and over, but this CD just begs to be continually cranked up on a car stereo.

If you're a fan of raw rock n roll you won't be disappointed. I hope they have a lot of success and encourage more music like this. Hopefully that will finally drive a stake through the heart of all the 2nd generation grunge wannabees.

I bought the CD a few weeks ago (based on a recommendation). I listened to it once. It didn't really do much for me one way or the other.

I guess I should give it another listen.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Hey folks, what are some bands that Jet reminds you of?

The Hives, the Vines, and the Strokes.

Going further back in history, I'd say they were heavily influenced by both Iggy Pop and The Jam. Before that, the Kinks and the Rolling Stones. Before that, Chuck Berry and Little Richard. Before that... ;)

OK - I just got back from 'Best Buy' (per O'Keefe plug, hehe) with my copy of Jet - Get Born...I'm afraid to open it - I think I'll 'anticipate' on it for a bit, hehe :P

Allright - I'm not in the right mood to post anything constructive - let's just say I think there's some good stuff in there but it's squished to hell, what's past hell, hehe - it's squished to there... :mad:

I don't think I can take any more of these 'radio-ready' CD's... :evil:

A friend brought this over for a listen, and I was really impressed. "Are you Gonna be My Girl" (the "iPod" song)'s intro owes a lot to "Radar Love", but takes off in a fresh direction. Instrumentally, The Stones come to mind, with that spare, clangly tele sound that Keef makes appear simple. It just stays with you.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I hate Jet. I must change the station whenever I hear the WhiteHivedVinesBeatlesStonesACDarkness blot that is this person/band. Absolute rubbish, IMO - and I like all the bands I compared them to!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by henrysb3:

A friend brought this over for a listen, and I was really impressed. "Are you Gonna be My Girl" (the "iPod" song)'s intro owes a lot to "Radar Love", but takes off in a fresh direction. Instrumentally, The Stones come to mind, with that spare, clangly tele sound that Keef makes appear simple. It just stays with you.

Henry

Yes, when I hear that I always think it's Golden Earring - I HATE JET! :mad:
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Bummer, well it ain't for everybody. But I like the raw grind of the guitars and the early Faces/Who/Stones influences, and at times Humble Pie. Probably some Badfinger in there too. It defies most of whats on radio. I love the line in one of the songs "Had to leave town got a new apartment.....", I can relate! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Hey folks, what are some bands that Jet reminds you of?

I read a bio on them and they all grew up together (I think the singer/guitarist and drummer are brothers). They are very Beatles, Rolling Stones influenced, at least that's what they talked about listening to growing up. I definately hear some AC/DC in there too (they are Ausseys).

Their recording is smashed, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as say the last Fleetwood Mac. Somehow, the raw power still comes through.

They had a fairly high-energy set last year at

The Troubadour with Kings of Leon. Pretty good. I actually prefer some of their quieter pop stuff. I think they're fine, but I would not run out and buy their album (although my girlfriend has, so that gives me TWO reasons not to do it). They seem like an odd band to "hate" or draw someone's ire.

I've heard a couple of their tunes on the Little Steven show... they're pretty cool, it's nice to hear somebody doing that sort of music these days I guess, but I don't really hear anything unique about them that would make me go buy the record. Maybe it's partly because there are a LOT of bands in Atlanta with that sound (Black Crowes residue) and it seems a little redundant to me... I'd just as soon listen to Humble Pie and AC/DC.

Hey Ken, what did you think of the Kings of Leon? I've heard a lot about them and they seem like I'd like them, but haven't heard 'em yet.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I've heard a couple of their tunes on the Little Steven show... they're pretty cool, it's nice to hear somebody doing that sort of music these days I guess, but I don't really hear anything unique about them that would make me go buy the record. Maybe it's partly because there are a LOT of bands in Atlanta with that sound (Black Crowes residue) and it seems a little redundant to me... I'd just as soon listen to Humble Pie and AC/DC.

Hey Ken, what did you think of the Kings of Leon? I've heard a lot about them and they seem like I'd like them, but haven't heard 'em yet.

Granted, however its incredibly refreshing to hear something real in a world full of sclock-rock on the radio. In that Humble Pie and AC/DC don't play on the radio, gives groups like Jet and Black Crowes alot of listeners who crave that sound, however subjectively non-unique. Its their cut from the detuned thrash that we normally hear on radio, that to me, makes them unique. Of course corporate radio is another discussion altogether, but one little ray of light in mainstream radio is in my very humble opinion, Jet.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I think they're pretty good - maybe a similar assessment as Jet. They're good, nothing amazing, just decent drivin' rock, very '70s sounding, less Black Crowe's sounding than Jet, has a trashy country aspect to them (not the '80s "cow-punk" thing, though, but more of a trashy '70s country thing within a definite rock context) often a drivin', real insistent, straight-ahead bass, also a good live band, and sometimes surprisingly melodic. I liked them more than Jet. It's refreshing because at least it sounds like real people playing music, and we can always use more of that, in my opinion.

Bonus: great haircut...

Originally posted by henrysb3:

Henry

Haven't heard Jet yet but Radar Love is in my blood!!! One of the Dutch bands I am soooo Proud of!!The Golden Earring.....Together with Shocking Blues - Venus offcourse,...

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

OK - here we go again, hehe I'm such a sucker but I love good sounding music when it comes together - enthusiastic band, good material and an engineer with enough talent to catch it and present it properly (anybody like the Beatles for example? hehe).

I'll pop Leon & the Little Kings - or whatever it is - in later, thanks for the tip :thu:

Kings of Leon - 'Youth & Young Manhood' mixed by Ethan Johns, mastered by Bob Ludwig - hehe this is a lot more like it - I wouldn't want to be the guy to hand Bob Ludwig a pile of squished junk ! :thu:

This thing has some air and trash - ahhh I can breath again... :D

It's got a little Tito & Tarantula LA type Euro-Vampire trash in it too, yummy ;)

I got a hold of a copy this afternoon.

They listened to the Stones carefully. I love it. "Get me outta here" is my favourite track.... Not renewing at all and that's a bit of a pity,.. He sounds like Mick and the guitar sounds like Keith....

It's a nice album and I dig it but still,... the Stones could do this on a monday morning.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Archived