Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any recommendations for a low to middle priced keyboard

happypants303

...for playing Keyscape/soft synths? Wouldn't mind some decent standalone capability too. Was thinking of a few different products, along the lines of Casio Privia/PX series, Crumar Mojo, or Hammond SK1, or an older Nord model. I have a Korg M50 I might sell to make space and wasn't the biggest fan of the action. Would be mostly for in my home studio.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome happypants303 to the forum.

Nursers has asked the only useful questions so far. "Nord Lead" as an answer is a joke tradition that got started here a long time ago. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the Lead, just that it likely is not the best choice for your use.

The Privias are well liked here, but most of them are 88 key. I have an SK1 (73 key), it is a good board for one that has an interest in Hammond/Leslie sounds (can't compare it with Mojo), but new is above your price range. Also not sure that a "clonewheel" of any make would be best choice for general use and specifically as a MIDI controller.

I really would suggest that you focus on buying used, something that was top of the line or close when new, and not TOO old. You might find what you want from Korg, Roland, or Yamaha. I personally have a Kurzweil PC361 (61 synth action keys, same features as the larger models (which I also have), and it serves my needs well. The Kurzweil also provides extensive control when used as a MIDI controller (I use an iPad frequently as an additional sound module) would work very well using it with DAW software in general.

Arrangers in general are probably not the best fit, although some may well provide decent MIDI controller operation. In general they will be priced higher. Not unusual for music store to not carry new keyboards (except maybe entry models), because a lot of people will "tire kick" at the local store and then purchase online to save a few $$ (not caring or realizing that they contribute to WHY the local store doesn't carry more).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Something low cost.....Studiologic Sledge is a 61 key 3 Osc synth with aftertouch. It has a absolutely great control layout. All controls transmit MIDI CC. Has an onboard simple sampler and the Wadorf wave tables. It's 24 voice VA. It's not a particularly great sound synth but a really good control platform. I don't know jack about Keyscape but I assume it easily maps MIDI cc. You'll need to research the details.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sledge2--studiologic-sledge-2.0

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

...for playing Keyscape/soft synths? Wouldn't mind some decent standalone capability too. Was thinking of a few different products, along the lines of Casio Privia/PX series, Crumar Mojo, or Hammond SK1, or an older Nord model. I have a Korg M50 I might sell to make space and wasn't the biggest fan of the action.
Key range is not important but at least 49. I like synth to semi-weighted action for most things I do. Price range would top out at around $1500.

Keyscape (mostly piano-types) and soft synths are two different applications, with different "best" kinds of boards.

For softsynth control, I like Roland JD-XA... tons of real-time controls, aftertouch, really nice complementary standalone capability with a true analog section, and actually has specific additional functions just for enhanced MIDI control. Another strong choice could be the Studiologic Sledge. Compared to the Roland, it has no true analog function or specific MIDI functions that I know of (but still plenty MIDI capable), but OTOH it has 61 keys vs 49, and the ability to load custom samples, and it's cheaper. Plus if you happen to use Omnisphere as your softsynth, it has built-in integration for the Sledge. The problem is, I wouldn't count on a satisfying piano-playing experience from either of them.

I understand you like synth/SW action for most of what you do, but most isn't all, and piano is where you really benefit from a hammer action. Staying within about $1500, I could see getting a pair of boards, i.e. the Sledge and maybe the new Casio CDP-S100, if the new action is as good as some people are saying. (It's the bottom of the line, but should be fine if you pretty much just need the action.)

If you want to stick with one board, non-hammer but okay for piano, with some usable real-time synth controls, I'd look at the Numa Compact 2X, Kurzweil Artis 7.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If youre looking for something with built-in sounds, the Roland Juno-DS, Korg Kross 2, and Yamaha MX49 and MX61 are base-level synths with built-in sounds. The Juno and Kross are also battery powered, so you can setup and play anywhere with headphones or a self-powered speaker. The keyboard action isnt the greatest, but I got used to it relatively quickly.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

This has just been released, but it looks like a notable step up in quality and options for the Keylab range. Its designed with DAWs and softsynths in mind. The keyboard is *allegedly* a better breed of semi-weighted action. Quality varies wildly in this area, so you're at a disadvantage if you don't live near a store that would stock such a specialty item. Road trip to Sweetwater, anyone? The feel is always subjective and sometimes you simply adapt. These are within your stated price range, so add them to your list for consideration. $1500 can land you something potent used, but its pretty mid-range for a retail buy. Since you're home-studio minded, a decent controller like this and maybe an added softsynth or utility would be one good way to save a bit of money while getting a better handle on your main rig. My 2¢.

New Arturia controllers

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Archived