Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dell computers 20 y/o today

I saw an article in the Sunday paper here (Austin American Statesman) about Michael Dell and his company. I would put a link, but you have to sign-up. Any-hoo, they are the #1 seller of PC's and a $41 billion company, 46,000 employee's world-wide, started May 3rd, 1984.

At age 39, he is listed as the 10th wealthiest person in the country, estimated worth $13 billion. Believe-it-or-not, he started the company with $1000 and it grew into a $10 billion public company in less than 10 years.

I don't have a Dell computer(Apple), and I haven't read his book either, but that's a pretty amazing career story. Not many people can take an investment of $1000 and turn it into $13 billion! :thu:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another example of PERFECT TIMING. And yeah, he was just a kid when he started this....kinda like Gates. Just makes you sick, doesn't it???

But good for him.

I remember back many years ago (late 80's, I think), I was at my Dad's office (my dad was a systems analyst), and he was looking to procure some new PC's for the office. I was leafing through one of the catalogues -one from Dell-, and I was this picture of some guy who looked maybe 22 standing in this highrise office with a big smile on his face. I'm like; "Fuck! This guy is about my age!"

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Sal O' The Earth:

Funny, because all they really are is a glorified screwdriver shop.

They don't actually create anything.

They've obviously done a solid job of creating demand for their product - something that many of their competitors who have fallen by the wayside over the years haven't done as well.

Originally posted by LanceMo:

One thing though, I don't need to see that "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell" kid ever again. :evil:

Who, Steve??? I liked Steve. I liked him way better than those annoying 'interns' they did after him.

No, you won't see Steve no more. He was getting pretty popular, and then he got busted for marijuana possession, and that was the end of him.

Bummer.... after the hearing about the pot, I was more interested in seeing him too. I think Apple should have picked him up... You know how those Apple guys just love to light up! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

...don't get me started!

I actually like their products a lot but their service organisation sucks monkey dick, at least here.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived