Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elvin Jones gravely ill

Cross-posted to Drum Talk. I figured more people would see it here.

Saw this on Len Dobbin's page on Upstairs ' website. Not good.

[Larry Apfelbaum] saw Elvin [April 26th] at Yoshi's here in San Francisco. He could barely make it to the stage, his wife helping him sit and placing his sticks in his hand. Elvin had trouble hitting the drums but his time and sound was impeccable. His wife made an announcement that Elvin was obviously very sick and has been in the hospital for 3 months and she wanted him to spend his last moments, at his wish, behind the drums.

He looked like he weighed 75 pounds and was truly sick... it was one of the saddest moments of my life. I was so used to seeing him look fit, happy and powerful. The last number was announced, Dear Lord, and his wife asked us all to pray as she hugged him from behind the drums for the entire tune.

There's another article on the website from an unidentified doctor who went to the same show and was pretty sold on the fact that Elvin was/is dying of heart failure. I hope this is just a bump in the road and he can recover. He's booked to play the Montreal Jazz Fest July 1.

Please send all your good thoughts and well wishes towards this living legend of music. He is in mine.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear that one of the greatest drummers ever is not doing well. I really wish him and his family the best.

It's kind of nice to hear that he is still doing what he loves despite everything, though. We should all be so lucky.

Elvin Jones, we love you!

I'm so sorry to hear that. He's one of my favorites. I've seen him play many times. The last time was in the early 70's. I had my cassette recorder with me and still have the cassette of the show. Drums,Bass,and 2 Saxes. (Pat Labarbera and Dave Liebman)I'm bummed........

I guess I'm at a loss for words.At this moment though,he still continues to be not only one of the most unique drummers ever,but also an amazing musician and person.I feel honored to have enjoyed him at all.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Sad indeed. Elvin Jones is one of my absolute drum heroes, if for no other reason than his incredible work with John Coltrane. Come to think of it, anyone who could keep up with Trane deserves a ton of accolades.

I hope he gets better. But if not, he's already give us his best.

Man that's rough!

Here I am thinking of myself- I've never seen the man, (and I do mean THE MAN!), and he is an object of worship for me. Words fail me.

Here's hoping...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Sad, but happy too, for a life spent pursuing one's greatest love, and actually being able to master it. Sad to hear he's suffering...hopefully that suffering will be over, in one way (healing) or another (to be beyond physical suffering). But either way, a salute to someone who has spent so many years making people happy, and giving of himself.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

What can really be said about Elvin? He sets the standard for so much of what we drummers do; his beautiful and timeless touch on the instrument is matched by NONE! I wish him goodness and Godspeed all the days of his life! :thu::thu:
This way, no, wait, that way!

Archived