Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most overplayed songs/riffs in a music store (on keys)?

Steve in VA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a long time since I could hear anyone actually play in a music store keyboard department. 90% of the time it's a combination of:

- parents looking for some beginner arranger for their kids

- a retired person getting back into piano who can't turn the auto-accompaniment off

- producers/sound designers looking for a new module/synth

- everyone who knows what they're doing playing under headphones

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Been a long time since I could hear anyone actually play in a music store keyboard department. 90% of the time it's a combination of:

- parents looking for some beginner arranger for their kids

- a retired person getting back into piano who can't turn the auto-accompaniment off

- producers/sound designers looking for a new module/synth

- everyone who knows what they're doing playing under headphones

That is about the same around where I am from. Music stores are not a real hangout like many years ago. Sad but true!

Blips, bleeps, and noises in no key at all.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm probably unique in what I play - "Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp.

I figure that any mid to high level keyboard nowadays has more than passable sounds, so auditioning any specific patch is a bit of a waste of time. If I have ten minutes to get to know a keyboard, I want to know if the interface is intuitive and how the action feels.

Goodbye Stranger is a good choice for me to determine how easily can I find or better yet build a chorused Wurlitzer sound. The first time I ever sat down at a Nord, not knowing anything about the interface, I was able to design a dead-ringer replica in about thirty seconds and I was sold.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Fur Elise (too fast)

River Flows In You

Fur Elise (wrong left hand part)

Game of Thrones theme

Fur Elise (wrong melody)

Fur Elise (out of sync between hands)

...and did I mention:

Fur Elise

Wait, you also forgot "Fur Elise." :laugh:

Also add, "Heart and Soul" and, of course, the other song that all non-piano-players-play, "Chopsticks."

Before "Jump" it was "Never Been Any Reason"

The first time I laid hands on a Minimoog in a store I played that glide motif at the end of the solo over and over. It was such a cool sound. I later became friends with the sales guy who used to work there and he said my obsession with that glide motif had worn out its welcome LOL.

I'm sure its not overplayed, obviously, but I found it very amusing to startle busy keyboard sections on Saturdays by finding a major pipe organ patch and playing the theme to "Mr. Ed." It gets a laugh and you immediately know people's general ages. Those raised on Pokemon are too young to have even seen the reruns, so they just crinkle up or stare. Gosh Wilbur, that's terrible!

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

I'm sure its not overplayed, obviously, but I found it very amusing to startle busy keyboard sections on Saturdays by finding a major pipe organ patch and playing the theme to "Mr. Ed." It gets a laugh and you immediately know people's general ages. Those raised on Pokemon are too young to have even seen the reruns, so they just crinkle up or stare. Gosh Wilbur, that's terrible!

Whenever Im in the keyboard section, I usually hear Jump, Final Countdown, or VGM covers.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Wander down "modular alley" at the NAMM show and your aural senses are quickly overwhelmed with blips bloops bleeps and noises in no key at all.

Wander down modal alley and everyones playing So What.

:laugh: :wink:

Here for the gear.

Take On Me (frequently played incorrectly) and Axel F were big in the 80s. Touch & Go too, for a minute.

dB

In the Pop band I play Axel F in the middle of Wobble. I'm goofy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I would agree with blips bleeps, NOISE, and Fur.

I don't think I've ever heard Jump or Final Countdown played in a music store. Come to think of it, about the only reference to countdown I ever encounter, is on this forum! It never seemed that popular to me (except here!) :)

There have been a couple of times that someone is playing some kind of progression or comp. I'm across the room looking at another keyboard and start playing a melody or something with whatever they are doing. Good fun a couple of times.

I don't think I've ever heard Jump or Final Countdown played in a music store. Come to think of it, about the only reference to countdown I ever encounter, is on this forum! It never seemed that popular to me (except here!) :)

If you play weddings, sometimes it is requested for the entrance of the bridal party or b&g.

But until this thread, I didn't know that other thing was called Axel F.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you play weddings, sometimes it is requested for the entrance of the bridal party or b&g.

I've played a lot of weddings, but never got that request! We did get "Closer to the Heart" for a father/daughter dance... (one of my favorite requests!) And of course the band always REALLY wants to start 'another one bites the dust'. ;)

But until this thread, I didn't know that other thing was called Axel F.

Fired up my Juno-106 last week, which IIRC, was the axe (no pun intended) used on this tune. They didnt have to look far for this patch, its the first program upon power up. Experienced a degree of unabashed pleasure playing the main line. Interesting that it is in the key of F, wonder if this was intentional.

Similarly, I think the Jump program was the first program on the OB-Xa.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't think I've ever heard Jump or Final Countdown played in a music store.

Then you've either never worked in one, or you've been exceptionally lucky. :idk::idea:

dB

True on both accounts! And to be fair, these days I spend as little time in music stores, as possible! If you want to see pain on someones face, say hi to the guys in the drum departments! :)

On the flip side of this, I was in GC one time and there was an Alesis rep playing Tarkus on a QS! Not something you hear everyday in the store I visited! :cool::o;)

Archived