Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer bought a bunch of Tears for Fears keyboards

RichieP_MechE

The Behringer facebook page shared that they bought a number of synths and keyboards from a recent auction of Tears for Fears equipment.

They bought:

Eventide Ultra Harmonizer H3000

PPG Wave 2.2

EMU Emulator II

Prophet 5

Hammond C3 with two Leslies

two LinnDrums

Yamaha DX-1

Certainly curious to see what, if anything, they will do with this stuff.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed this phenomenon before. Love of vintage gear is often not held by the guys who originally used it on their iconic recordings.

Tears for Fears duo Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith are still actively touring, but apparently they don't want this stuff anymore.

Should I? Guess we'll have to see what Behringer comes up with. But out of this list... probably not.

Edit: Maybe the Prophet 5. I had second thoughts on that one :laugh:

It is a business strategy: If you buy all the instruments in the known universe, you will eliminate the competition.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I'm impressed that there is still a DX-1 out there. I think they made only about 140 of them, and that was over 30 years ago. But boy, what a beautiful instrument!

I agree. Very sexy looking board. I was never a fan of the DX7, but just the looks of the DX1 are cool....

I'd like to know what they did with the money. Even in iffy shape, those instruments draw hefty prices. You can buy a lot of modern power with that kind of bonanza.

I told Hazel about my youth as a djinn, of how we used to eavesdrop on the angels
  and how they would throw comets at us if they spied us listening.
        ~ Neil Gaiman, "Trigger Warnings"

I've noticed this phenomenon before. Love of vintage gear is often not held by the guys who originally used it on their iconic recordings.

Tears for Fears duo Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith are still actively touring, but apparently they don't want this stuff anymore.

But, but a Korg Kross can emulate all those vintage stuff and then some.....in one little lightweght package. :sleep:

I remember the EMU vintage keys in the brochures, a Hammond ,CP70, Rhodes etc were all pictured as being inside this little magic box.

Since the years have passed and the emulations got to a whole other level of realism, i am surprised how fat and funky those real things are in a small environment on those rare occasions you do see them live.

I saw Tears for Fears live last year - I honestly can't remember anything specific about the keys sounds or equipment, except for thinking it was all accurate to the original recorded versions.

I'm sure my enjoyment wouldn't have been affected whether they were using the original vintage gear or a Korg Kross (or, more likely, a laptop).

It is a business strategy: If you buy all the instruments in the known universe, you will eliminate the competition.

I guess everybody wants to rule the world.

True but its a Mad World.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

All of this stuff was from a 1996 tour, after it was over they just stored everything in a warehouse. Unless they actually owned said warehouse, it was probably costing them a lot of money just for storage.

Yeah, that DX1...every sound example of it I have ever heard was glorious. The equivalent of two DX7s with a really nice PolyAT keyboard.

I guess everybody wants to rule the world.

Good shout

Let it all out

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'd be head over heels with all of those keyboards.

:w00t:

Definitely don't, don't, don't, don't throw it away!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Posting pictures of things like the DX1 risks Sowing the Seeds of Love for sure.

Well, it's high time we made a stand

Dan

Archived