Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Silk strings (for acoustic guitar)

Mark Schmieder

Holy cow! I just got back my Larivee "00" small-scale guitar from setup work, replacing the relatively decent D'addario EXL Phosphor Bronze strings with Martin's Silk & Steel formulation, and these are the best acoustic guitar strings I have used in my entire life -- especially on this guitar! I get as much clarity of attack finger-style as with a flat-pick, and no fret buzz or other issues if chording. Almost like flat-wounds, except tonally balanced throughout the frequency range and with plenty of high-end zing.

I might put these on my Martin OM-28 "orchestra" size guitar next, unless they don't mate well with bottom-heavy rosewood bodies. The OM size mitigates that, but perhaps the silk strings would imbalance the tone? Certainly it's a match made in heaven, for small bodied spruce/mahogany guitars.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting what drove each of us to adopt these on specific guitars. As Larivee's bracing is like a hybrid of classical and folk guitars, tension is a bit higher overall, so that may be why the silk strings also have now made this by far my most comfortable acoustic guitar to play, not even considering the amazing sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived