Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Loose Jack in Telecaster

DocPate

Interesting question in the Telecaster Group on Facebook.

Member has a problem with the jack on his guitar being too loose. Wanted to know if there is a quick fix.

My old Engineering background kicked in and remembering strengths of materials classes, once you compromise the physics of the materials such as the modulus of elasticity, it cannot be"fixed", just replaced.

What do you think? Am I wrong and you can fix it with something like Loctite,

Quick Reply

Read more: http://guitarblues.proboards.com/thread/1605/loose-jack-telecaster#ixzz5ZhFLWib6

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off topic but a common issue in Teles is the entire Jack cup going loose. Many Tele pickers replace the whole assembly with a Electrosocket cup and Jack.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Good to know. How long would it last?

It will stay tight for as long as you do not loosen it with a wrench.

Yhup, Loctite Threadlocker. Just a li'l dab.

And:

__ Two ways to fix a Telecaster's wobbly input jack

__

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Off topic but a common issue in Teles is the entire Jack cup going loose. Many Tele pickers replace the whole assembly with a Electrosocket cup and Jack.

It's funny how different brains go in different directions. Here's his question:

"Does anyone have experience with a jack that will not stay tight in a Electrosocket? Its driving me nuts!".

I took it to mean the plug was loose in the socket. but it could be the socket is loose?

@ Doc, I didn't have a Tele to deal with and I only wish I had. My jack problem was on my Epi ES-175 and it is really hard to get to through the F-holes. I tried ordering special tools and could get it to tighten up only to have it come loose again 3+/- months later. I ordered the correct blue locktite and that was a good temporary fix but I got a little on the finish and caused a blem. It was not that noticeable. If you use the wrong locktite you'll never get it loose without banging on it with a hammer LOL!

Anyway, the Koreans left out the star locking washer inside as I suspected and stripped the threads which was why nothing would work without the locktite. Then (as Scott suggested) I took it to my tech and had a steel plate put on the 175 (like the one on your tele) so I could tighten it without using special tools or locktite if it ever came loose again (like I have had to do with my Strats once in a blue moon). My tech agreed, a new jack and a star lock washer is all that's needed and locktite really isn't necessary. Teles have been made without locktite since the 50's and rarely come loose...the nightmare is over for me and it only cost me $20bucks as I was having him do a set up anyway with my new strings. The whole job cost $40bucks... :cool:

This looks like a better idea:

[video:youtube]

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

I have a 68 tele, never had that problem but it seems common on newer models. On the other hand I put a Switchcraft into it a couple of years after I bought it.

Reinstall the Electrosocket properly this time and never think about it again IMO. Wasn't installed properly or the player is very rough on it.

You play, you pay.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Archived