Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk me out of it

Tonysounds

Locally there is a mint condition Yamaha CP30 for a couple hundred bucks.

I know what it is because I actually (gulp) TOURED with one! :D True story. Through a shure vocalbastard PA. It made the CP sound kinda ....not organ really, but kinda. Anyway, it would be for the house.

Anybody else ever consider buying some old gear that has history even though you know you just can't justify it for ANY reason aside from romance?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Locally there is a mint condition Yamaha CP30 for a couple hundred bucks.

I know what it is because I actually (gulp) TOURED with one! :D True story. Through a shure vocalbastard PA. It made the CP sound kinda ....not organ really, but kinda. Anyway, it would be for the house.

Anybody else ever consider buying some old gear that has history even though you know you just can't justify it for ANY reason aside from romance?

I don't believe in 'impulse ' decisions where my hard earned Benjamins are involved.

Fair analysis should guide you on your Benjamins.

Sentiment ? Nostalgia ? Not so much on gear, given this is no girl friend unloading her ex's gear for a few $ to get even.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Cowardly Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch, guards or no guards, I'll tear them apart. I may not come out alive, but I'm going in there. There's only one thing I want you fellows to do.

Tin Man and Scarecrow: What's that?

Cowardly Lion: Talk me out of it!

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

My very first electronic keyboard - loved that thing despite the noise. Seemed there was bleed through on every note requiring a noise gate. But I loved the combination of piano and harpsichord. And the feel of those leaf switches. That beautiful wood grain veneer with a flat top inviting a classic analog poly on top.

Yeah, you don't want that Tony. :love:

Btw I have some spare case hinges and the service manual still if you have issues. The custom divide down chips are no longer available. Found that out calling Yamaha when helping someone out on GS a year or 2 ago. The woman in parts/service got a good laugh when I asked "how come?"

Cowardly Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch, guards or no guards, I'll tear them apart. I may not come out alive, but I'm going in there. There's only one thing I want you fellows to do.

Tin Man and Scarecrow: What's that?

Cowardly Lion: Talk me out of it!

LOL

The Sleepy Leader: You go first. I will stay here and guard the home front.

Oh My. Almost nap time. :D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm a sucker for MINT vintage stuff. The idea that someone has actually taken care of or, at the very least, not abused a piece for 50 - 60 years is pretty special, IMO. If you have room, then I say go for it. I passed on a mint Clavioline (with spare parts) a few years ago and have regretted it since.

Busch.

I, also, owned and gigged on a CP-30 for years in the 80s. Usually with a MiniMoog sitting on top.

Even for $100, I'd have to the only way you should do is if you'll use it....more than just setting it up once/twice for nostalgia.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

My very first rig: Yamaha CP30, Korg Poly Ensemble S, Moog Prodigy. My older sister's keyboardist boyfriend sold me the lot for $800 in 1979. I was 16, just discovering cars, girls, and prog rock and life was beautiful.

CP30 was my first electronic keyboard too, amazed that it was for so many fellow forumites too, but anyway that always compels me to jump into the odd thread that mentions it. I like nostalgia and all but that would never tempt me too much, even knowing nothing about keyboard back then as a teen, I never really liked it that much, just didn't sound great trying to fill in for an electric or acoustic piano or harpsichord. Super heavy too, always needed help from bandmates moving it around. Fondest memory of it is the little rocker switch that you'd engage to turn a vibrato effect on and off. I'd hit it proudly on the last note of "Just What I Needed."

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Go and check it out in person. After playing it for 10 minutes, probably one of two things will happen... either you'll be grinning and you should take it home, or you'll be thinking "that's enough of that to hold me for another 20 or 30 years" and you should pass.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have an even worse problem.

I have an interest in older American upright pianos.

A few years back , I picked up a piano made by Krakauer that I should have never let out of my sight. It was a 52'' upright made in 1924.

The reason I don't have it is that a ( so called ) friend talked me out of letting him " keep" it for awhile. I was in the middle of a major remodel and it seemed to make sense.

Anyway this guy moved without telling me! And took the piano.

So I have been looking for a " replacement" ever since.

I know a lot of old American uprights are beaters but every once in a awhile you find one with low miles that has the magic. As this one did.

I had one also. Gigged it for a year or so around 1979. Ended up hating it. Weighed a ton. Sounded great for Billy Joel's "My Life" and that's it. I thought the engineering of the case/legs/cover/support struts was really cool.

Take AnotherScott's advice - play it a little bit and go with the first thought that pops in your head.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I tried out a CP30 when they were new. It was one of the first all-electronic EP's to have a weighted velocity Keyboard. I was impressed by the Keyboard feel but to me it was rather thin sounding so I stuck with the Wurlitzer. There were several well-known players who used them at the time like Herbie Hancock, Rick Wakeman, Elton John, Christine McVie, Greg Hawkes, Daryl Hall, Dr. John, Gary Numan, and Dave Greenfield among others.

Several years ago I got a CP35 for $100 and then a little later got a partially working CP35 for $25. The CP35 comes closer to sounding like a Rhodes than the CP30. The strange thing is that it is only 16-note polyphony while the 30 is fully polyphonic. I checked the schematics and the 30 uses top octave division while the 35 has two wave generator chips each of which produces 8 notes. I've asked techs and on other forums about the CP35 trying to determine if it's uses FM technology and nobody seems to know for sure.

An advanced-for-the-time feature the 35 has is a Key Code Out connector. This is a pre-MIDI interface that allows the CP35 to control another Yamaha instrument with Key Code In. The SK50D and SK30 also have Key Code Out. Key Code doesn't send velocity, only Note On and Note Off. I don't what Yamaha intended this for as the only instrument that I know of with Key Code In is the CS70M which was a $7000 PolySynth at the time.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

For a couple of years I played a Yamaha CP30 in a greatful dead cover band. I loved that piano. It had an easy light touch and was capable of some very funky sounds. I thought the design where the cover becomes the stand was clever and well done - it was great for gigging.

And then Roland came out with the RD series piano, and I bought one.

But I remember the CP30 fondly. I am not sure I would get one today.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Archived