Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Custom Shop Guitars in Santa Cruz CA closing 29 DEC 2018

Mark Schmieder

https://customshopguitars.com

They lost their lease; common story these days.

As the main outlet for Santa Cruz Guitars, I wonder if that custom luthier will also be affected by this?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cry:

I don't think I'll make it there in time. ;)

All kidding aside, if that's where you do a lot of relying on your strings and accessories, then it is a bummer having to find another reliable place to go for that within easy reach.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Real Estate in Santa Cruz is not cheap. If you lose a lease, you probably will have to relocate in order to re-open a business. I wish them luck and hope they can get back into the bizz some day in an area where rents are cheaper. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Real Estate in Santa Cruz is not cheap. If you lose a lease, you probably will have to relocate in order to re-open a business. I wish them luck and hope they can get back into the bizz some day in an area where rents are cheaper. :cool:

A retail location is a list of trade offs here in N. California.

Even while Brentwood has a decent population, indy retailers struggle due to lack of sales plus lease, insurance etc etc.

While going further east towards the valley is cheaper, the local shopping demographic won't support the retail. Having a strong and unique on line presence seems to help overcome some obstacles.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Oops; that was how it showed up at the place where I found the original link for the listing, but I've noticed lately that my browser often misidentifies things in the capsule description it gives me for browser history, based apparently on the original link (which in this case was from the Santa Cruz Guitar website when looking for dealers).

Surprised I didn't see that store when I was last in San Antonio around 2001 to 2003 (I forget which year; it was a tech conference and I didn't have all that much spare time but it was downtown so I did get to walk around a lot).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

@ Surfer Girl and Danny A, sorry I didn't see the Website location, and assumed by the thread title it was in Santa Cruz, CA...didn't mean to lead us astray...there is a Santa Cruz Guitar company in California which is what I thought was being referred to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Guitar_Company. I have a couple of buddies from Santa Cruz, one of which bought one of their acoustics... :cool:

@ Greg C, If I were to open a guitar shop or any other business anywhere in California, I would purchase the real estate. That way if the business was to fail, or if I got to old to run it, I could always make my money back by selling the real estate and perhaps make a sizable profit if I kept it going for at least 10 years... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

No it's my fault because I said Santa Cruz CA in the topic title, but I can't edit it now. I can't remember what prevents us from editing replies or titles, but presumably there is a specific set of rules involved.

Archived