Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Klipsch KMC 3 Rubberized Coating Issue

Polkahero

I just purchased a used Klipsch KMC 3 based on some recommendations here to enhance the sound of the internal speakers in my Kurzweil KA90 that I use for solo piano gigs. The speaker sounds great (after I fixed an internal rattle issue), amazing how much bass this little rectangular box puts out not to mention a superb stereo acoustic piano tone. I almost feel like I'm playing on a Steinway D now!

The only issue I have with the speaker is the rubberized coating on the outside is really sticky/tacky. I tried a product similar to Goo Gone and didn't get any results. I called Klipsch and they said this has been a common complaint with these (no longer produced, BTW) and they recommended an ammonia based cleaner but didn't mention any specific commercial brands/products. Has anyone with this speaker (or even a similar product) had any luck cleaning the outside and what specific product did you use? Feel like I have to wash my hands every time I handle it, lol.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know how similar, but had a sticky umbrella handle, cleaned it thoroughly with denatured alcohol - no longer sticky.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Yup - I had this issue with an Eton shortwave radio. Rubbing alcohol took away the stickiness, but it made the radio look streaky, with an uneven finish.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I tried rubbing alcohol with no results so I switched to denatured and it works all right, takes the entire coating off with enough rubbing! No going back now, just spent an hour removing the coating from the top and one side. Tried using my Dremel but that only burnished the plastic shell underneath. Would acetone break up the coating better than the denatured alcohol?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Archived