Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: If it wasn�t for weird, life would be Walmart

Song80s

https://medium.com/@rcormack/my-justification-for-being-weird-6e72e7231f59

Were confused by weird. Our notion of normalcy gets thrown out of whack. If youre a weird kid, you despise yourself. Your teachers despise you. They send notes home to your parents, complaining about your lack of attention and constant fidgeting. Were not exactly a danger to society, but nobody holds out any hope for us.

Unless we write Bohemian Rhapsody, then the whole world wants our autograph and calls us a genius with rare and delightful insights.

History is full of people trying to stifle weird. When George Orwell first submitted Animal Farm, he got a letter back from the publishers saying, Its impossible to sell animal stories in the U.S.A. It went on to become the most famous by far of all twentieth-century political allegories. Napoleon and Squealer were hard to beat as nasty political pigs, and somehow we found that appealing. Pigs, by the way, are quite noble and sensitive creatures.

Tim Burtons Batman gave Warner Brothers the hebbie-jeebies. It was dark as hell and cost $35,000,000 to make, yet it earned $100,000,000 the first ten days. Jack Nicholson (The Joker) took a percentage in lieu of salary (or in addition to salary). He made a killing. The studio made a killing. They let Burton do Batman Returns, which broke box office records as well. Even with that, Burton admits they wanted him off the lot. Too weird by a mile.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its amazing how many classics started out being seen as weird. John Lennon never liked McCartneys concept for Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. I just threw in some songs, he later admitted. They didnt have anything to do with the concept. I found the whole thing contrived.

he album went on to win four Grammies and Professor Kevin Dettmar, writng in The Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature described it as the most important and influencial rock-and-roll album ever recorded. Lennon still thought it was contrived and weird and didnt think much of McCartney suggesting it.

Contrived can be seen as weird yet, during the psychedelic era, dressing in old military band uniforms proved acceptably freaky. Sales topped 32 million copies worldwide by 2011, a long time considering we stopped taking acid around 1969.

[70's Songwriter]

Strangely, some artistspossibly weird themselvestried to avoid what they found weird. Marvin Gaye didnt want to record I Heard It Through The Grapevine. It was a throwaway to me, Marvin said later. We included it on In The Groove because Norman Whitfield wanted it there. I didnt like it.

That throwaway became Gayes largest grossing single, ranking sixty-sixth on Billboard Magazines Greatest Songs of All Time. The California Raisins version for Post Raisin Bran, with Buddy Miles singing, made Billboards Hot 100.

Advertisers have always worried about being weird and possibly too controversial. On the series Mad Men, Don Draper goes in the lunchroom where everyones talking about the new Volkswagen ad Think Small. Nobody had ever done anything like that in advertising before. Don was asked what he thought and he said, It sends the wrong message. It still ranks as one of the best pieces of advertising ever created, and hangs in the Museum of Modern Art.

[70's Songwriter]

In the same way, Apples Think Different campaign drew as many frowns as applause. Steve Jobs had just returned to Apple after being fired. It makes us sound like weve never thought different before this, he said to the advertising agency. A few hours later, he said, Fuck it, lets do it. Few campaigns in advertising history have had as much awareness or criticism.

In any creative endeavor, theres always doubt. Nobody wants to fall outside the typical and expected, especially where careers are involved. Were all thinking of our reputations and personal saleability;even Marvin Gaye. Sometimes circumstance and fate make the decision for us.

None of us really knows what constitutes a surprise, or, more importantly, what constitutes a saleable one.

When I say its fate, its probably not fate at all. While were comfortable with the expected, something inside of us yearns for what we dont expect.

[70's Songwriter]

Bob Dylan wondered if his song You Aint Goin Nowhere was too commercial. He recorded it on The Basement Tapes (all of which he wanted dumped), but the song endured, becoming a hit for The Byrds and The Flying Burrito Brothers.

All of which should make us wonder: What have we thrown away that we should have kept? How quickly do we toss away an idea under pressure of a deadline or an unreasonable client. How many internal reviews have killed great ideas?

At least back in the days of hard copy, we might glance down at our wastepaper baskets.

We might have the foresight; to unfold that crumpled piece of paper.

Today its even easier to throw ideas away. All we do is click delete. Through the course of the average day, I click delete hundreds of times. Have I thrown away good ideas? Probably.

At least back in the days of hard copy, we might glance down at our wastepaper baskets. We might have the foresight;to unfold that crumpled piece of paper.

Or perhaps we should just have more faith in what we create. We might be wrong. Then again, we might be right.

[70's Songwriter]

My records [pun intended] show that Dylan did not want "You Ain't Going Nowhere" "Down in the Flood" and/or "I Shall Be Released" dumped. I don't think he wanted many of the other tunes dumped either...I would have to see where that idea came from. The three songs mentioned above are from the Basement Tapes album, Bob had saved them for his Greatest Hits Volume II album. He recorded it in 1971 four years before the Basement Tapes album was released in 1975. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yer opening posts here offer a lot to consider in various ways, Greg, but for now I'll limit myself to this interjection...

[for those not charmed by the Captain's oeuvre, let me make it a bit easier & direct you to the lyric abt 3:11 for the relevance to this discussion]

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

Yer opening posts here offer a lot to consider in various ways, Greg, but for now I'll limit myself to this interjection...

[for those not charmed by the Captain's oeuvre, let me make it a bit easier & direct you to the lyric abt 3:11 for the relevance to this discussion]

Thank you for tolerating my long-- wish post topics.

Weird and creative and music have intersected frequently.

I think its interesting to discuss creative topics, music related

that appear intangible or different [?]

I enjoyed the improv/jam nature of Captains' SAM.

I guess the lyric at 3:11 is an example of wierd ? I might need

more context.

Somewhat related, I am a fan of Marvin Gaye, another very creative soul.

I did a cover of " Whats Going On " over a year ago as my tribute to MG.

[70's Songwriter]

My records [pun intended] show that Dylan did not want "You Ain't Going Nowhere" "Down in the Flood" and/or "I Shall Be Released" dumped. I don't think he wanted many of the other tunes dumped either...I would have to see where that idea came from. The three songs mentioned above are from the Basement Tapes album, Bob had saved them for his Greatest Hits Volume II album. He recorded it in 1971 four years before the Basement Tapes album was released in 1975. :cool:

Larry, thats an excellent example of not giving up on an original song, just because other parties can't make it work, or comprehend the song and its message.

For a songwriter, the song creation are our babies, children. They are unique in their own way. And they have a story.

[70's Songwriter]

I guess the lyric at 3:11 is an example of wierd ? I might need more context.

While notoriously considered odd, grating, even talentless by some, the main adjective applied to Beefheart by detractors might be "weird".

He disputes that in the cited quote by declaring, "I may be hungry but I sure ain't weird.'

Somewhat related, I am a fan of Marvin Gaye, another very creative soul.

I did a cover of " Whats Going On " over a year ago as my tribute to MG.

:like: + 7 or 8 on Gaye, a neglected figure.

While I tend to enjoy his original work, here's an interesting cover that aptly fits here as weird.

The arr is revelatory but I point one's attention to the, seemingly accidental :idk but weirdly perfectly timed horns that seem to come from passing traffic.

Even the way the actress shouts, "That's beautiful !" fits perfectly with the track !

Listen carefully, players.

What I wonder is did that actually just happen (I doubt they recorded that anywhere but a film stage) & if it was deliberately added to sound like random car horns rather than musical horns, what kinda minset does that indicate for the creator ?!

d=halfnote

Ever since the trippin daze, everyone is weird. :wacko:

Some of us never went back to normal.

:2thu::cheers:

I miss those days. The stuff we took back then, it was uhh, err,, better back then, ya think ? :D

My originals are weird. I am proud of 'em. I give credit, or umm uhh,. blame what that

'stuff' did to the brain ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Here's a kinda off topic Q (except for the title).

When/is Robbie Robertson gonna be so in need of funds that he'll licence the track below to WalMart [TM] for advertising/promos\tional use ? :D:facepalm:

d=halfnote

Started waaaaaaaaaaaaay before then, Amigo----as yer already aware !

:taz: and then we had to watch out for these guys :cop:

Weird is as weird does ( :freak: ) And there's NO good reason for anybody being denied the chance to offer it, or not get access to it.

Now, I never did see( or hear) the appeal of Captain Beefheart, but that's no reason for ME to claim that NOBODY should bother with him, so let it go...

And a kinda similar to Dylan thing.....

One of PYOTR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY's most famous and beloved works is THE NUTCRACKER and it's subsequent NUTCRACKER SUITE, which has long been a Christmastime classic. But really, Tchaikovsky didn't much like and care for it, thinking it was one of the worst things he's ever done.

Oh, and BTW----

I ALWAYS thought WALMART was quite weird! to whit---

https://youtu.be/YvxNgdFeWqM

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

What bothers me is,

I at first thought it was "manufactured" but found out that most the footage IS actually candid. :o

And for a while, I remember Wal-Mart patrons referred to as "Walmartians". ;)

Whitefang

Weird is as weird does ( :freak: ) And there's NO good reason for anybody being denied the chance to offer it, or not get access to it.

Oh, and BTW----

I ALWAYS thought WALMART was quite weird! to whit---

https://youtu.be/YvxNgdFeWqM

Whitefang

too F%$#$ ing funny ! I sent the video to the author of our O/P article.

I said being weird is doomed if we accept the WM people video

[70's Songwriter]

I g.'

While I tend to enjoy his original work, here's an interesting cover that aptly fits here as weird.

The arr is revelatory but I point one's attention to the, seemingly accidental :idk but weirdly perfectly timed horns that seem to come from passing traffic.

Even the way the actress shouts, "That's beautiful !" fits perfectly with the track !

Listen carefully, players.

What I wonder is did that actually just happen (I doubt they recorded that anywhere but a film stage) & if it was deliberately added to sound like random car horns rather than musical horns, what kinda minset does that indicate for the creator ?!

you have a good ear for timing/rhythm.

The random car horns arrive on beat 1 or 2.

"thats' beautiful ' fills 4 beats . I think Agnes came in on beat 2.

I am 99% sure this is intentional/thought out

[70's Songwriter]

Those car horns no doubt added to enforce the idea that Curtis Armstrong's character is serenading outdoors. ;)

Taken from an old "Moonlighting" episode, I get from the "commentary". Having never watched the show, it's all new to me. :)

Whitefang

Bro, some of us were never normal to begin with, adding psychedelic alphabet soup to the mix just made it more interesting . . . well, mostly.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 2 weeks later...

To quote the cliche, define "normal".

So much of what I see going on and hear about every day seems insane to me, and yet seems to be accepted as 'business as usual', that I'm not sure I WANT to be "normal".

Though of course there are exceptions, most of the unusual thinking among musicians and other artists qualifies as "harmless eccentricity" at worst.

Maybe "Harmless Eccentrics" would be a good name for a band. Oh wait, that's the thread that refuses to die on the bass forum, LOL.

I guess the best way to define "normal" in many cases would be;

Any behavior that doesn't strike the general population as "odd" or peculiar in nature.

But that's only close to one of the many definitions of the word found in WEBSTER'S.

Whitefang

Archived