Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Green Book - piano players will enjoy it

El Lobo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent movie. Both Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen delivered outstanding performances in it. :thu:

Of course, pianist Kris Bowers did the heavy lifting musically. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I started playing Don Shirley's version of "Water Boy" when I was about 13 or 14 - one of my early ventures into playing by ear. It would probably get a lot of flack today just for the title but wasn't deemed as offensive back then. I haven't seen the movie but reviews mention Shirley's detachment from American black culture. I still have 4 of his lp's.

It did sound like an interesting movie. What I'm wondering is if the title phrase relates to the title of the Steely Dan song of the same name from their "Everything Must Go" album. This is way up there among my favorite SD songs, about the most harmonically rich, sophisticated composition they've come up with imvho, but I've never been able to make heads or tails what the song is about. Any guesses?

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Green Book is based on the true story of the jazz pianist Don Shirleys road trip through the American South in 1962. The Negro Motorist Green Book served as a guide for black travelers across North America and inspired the film.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Looked up the song lyrics and can only conclude a possible "maybe" that that's the Green Book they're singing about. Cryptic even by SD standards!

"My coat is black and the moon is yellow

Here is where I get off

As you can see for yourself old girl in the Green Book"

that part sounds like it could refer to a traveling guide like you mentioned. Interesting!!!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived