Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which midi controller has the best synth action ?

Dextroze

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello guys,

I'm wondering which is the best midi controller regarding synth action (69 keys).

You will get a lot more opinions if you ask for 61 keys. Im not sure if a 73 key synth action controller exists but that would be your next size up.

Here for the gear.

I've just gone through synth controller evaluation, and I tend to like the Fatar TP/9S feel with aftertouch.

I sold a Novation SL MK2, which was pretty nice. I think the new MK3 has the same high quality action but it's very expensive.

I ended up buying a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2, which has a very nice feel to it (Fatar with aftertouch). It's pricey and is really only something I would recommend if you are using Native Instruments software.

I also thought the action on the Arturia KeyLab MK2 was pretty good, too. It also has aftertouch. Not quite as sweet as the Native Instruments, but pretty good and a massive step up over the KeyLab Essentials. I have one and love the way it works with V Collection & Analog Lab. Nice look, too!

I didn't try anything from Roland, but I thought the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol, Arturia and Novation SL MK2 were all a big step up over cheap clackety-clackety controllers.

Like I said, I like a nice Fatar keybed with aftertouch, so I'm the target customer for these.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

If the TP/9 is what is in my Kurzweil pc361 and also in the Access Virus keyboards--that is right up there with my favorites. Both of these have a better key action than ANY controller I've ever tried. IMO of course, and of course as mentioned "better" is extremely subjective.

With that in mind, you might be able to pick up a used older Virus for the price of a new controller, albeit maybe without some of the whizbang controller features. I bought my Virus kb (b version) used about 5 years ago for $600. Bonus points if you need a synth like that for live or studio use! :D

Archived