Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shear Electronics OBX Retro Remake

MikeT156

After stumbling across a video of Shear Electronics OBX remake NAMM 2017 youtube, I have not been able to find any more recent information on any progress on this Desk Top Remake.

I found nothing using the Search function here, and their website only has a Waiting list for anyone interested in buying one, but nothing on their current situation.

Does anyone have an update on the possibly of this synth being made?

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investors which were needed might have been discouraged by Behringers Vaporware.

I loved the dual envelope/VCF capability, the sound quality and looks.

I offered to pay for a unit in advance when he first started his website.

Wouldnt be surprised if he just took a job offer to work for Behringer on their Oberheim instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Investors which were needed might have been discouraged by Behringers Vaporware.

Wouldnt be surprised if he just took a job offer to work for Behringer on their Oberheim instead.

:laugh:

UB,- the game changer !

Can´t wait to see the toy called Uberheim UB-Xa.

:D

A.C.

Apparently Behringer is not making a priority of an OBX remake. They are concentrating on building products that are in production and selling. Not every business can put up the money to fund a new synth using anything but available parts in order to bring a new product to the market ASAP.

I have my reservations that Shear Electronics could retail an OBX remake for $3495, even though they could use surface mount technology to keep cost down. Shear had to remake components that are no longer available and not all of them will be an identical match for the originals.

I listened to the demos on youtube and what this young man has created sounds suspiciously like my original OBX. The first Oberheim I bought was an OBX 6 voice, and later bought an OBXa 8 voice when that because available.

I borrowed money to buy these synths and was paying for them for years after I got my grubby little hands on them. I still have my original Prophet 5 (it still works and still sounds great) but the Prophet sounds different than my old Oberheims. I would love to have a remake in my Senior years, if I could figure out how to pay for it!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It does sound like the OBX.

I pretty much have what I need in hardware for mono and poly, and sufficient software synths to cover things hardware cant avhieve.

Got the Hammond/122 Sound, fake instruments, etc.

Great effects now with the Strymons.

Im good at least for another month or two.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived