Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funkin' Keyboards

We played it at rehearsal last nite. I played very sparsely in the verse.

The guitar player never played the 16th note guitar ostinato that goes on during the verse, and played the EP part during the chorus. Sigh.

So now I will learn the guitar part to play for the verse.

Funny how these things sometimes sort themselves out.

Imagine that a guitar player not playing something he's supposed to.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's an EP (Rhodes or Wurly) in the verses... and you can't really hear it very well... that makes TOTAL sense to me.

If I find my band is playing a cover of a tune that has little or no keys in it (the original recording), I usually turn to the Wurly to play an accompaniment on. Then when I listen back to recordings of the gig, I notice that my Wurly part was not very audible, but I could still sense its presence, adding some extra texture and "glue" to help hold the song together.

The tune I'm specifically thinking of is Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner". I just keep pumping away at the Wurly on those verses, and I can hear it well through my monitor... but what the audience hears (FOH) is mostly guitar, with some kind of "plummy" sound filling in the gaps. This is how it should be. A lot of Ian McLagen's playing in the Faces reminds me of that too. The guitar and the Wurly become "one" sound. Think also of the opening chords of "Brown Sugar" by the Stones.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

• 2 weeks later...