Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sparse or full backing tracks?

miden

This sorta got covered in another thread, but it's something that I have been struggling with for a while.

Firstly, I play live bass and keys, so then I create backing tracks as true to the original as possible with whatever I am not playing - pretty much drums, guitars and some strings parts.

However of late, I have been feeling it's sorta kinda a bit like instrumental karaoke. Sure I AM playing and singing live parts, but idk?? I noted a comment in the other thread (J.Dan??) that said go full on, one way or the other - IE make all just keys or make the backing track full-on. No "bitsa's" :)

I have had some audience members comment that the tracks sound great but it would be nice to hear just what I am playing and maybe, MAYBE add some sparse drums. Yet others say they love the full cover versions. I just find it hard to get folks up dancing with just the keys and a "kick stomp box".

What do others think?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure your vocal is out front- is my opinion

I am 95% sure, from my experience as a song writer, instrumentally,

that most listeners respond and relate to a strong and tight rhythm

section.

If I was the OMB , I would calibrate that to the audience. Rhythm is physical- it reaches

people in the gut.

Some exception to this, lets say, slow gentle ballads. But you know your material.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Cater to everyone. I like variety so I would enjoy if the set contained both kinds of approaches.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I have had some audience members comment that the tracks sound great but it would be nice to hear just what I am playing and maybe, MAYBE add some sparse drums. Yet others say they love the full cover versions. I just find it hard to get folks up dancing with just the keys and a "kick stomp box".

What do others think?

I think that you might tend to get different answers from musicians then you would get from the general public.

But since you're solo, I think the backing tracks should probably be pretty strong if your goal is to get folks up and dancing as you said. If it wasn't specifically for dance, it's a tougher call.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived