Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best way to split a mono signal

analogman1

Hi Folks,

I have a Moog Subsequent 37.

There are some tunes in the band where I will need to send it to the Bass Amp (shared with the bass player) when I cover basslines.

Other times it would be need to go through my keyboard amp for lead sounds.

What's the easiest way to split a mono signal to 2 separate amps?

I have a mixer and am wondering if it's possible to send the signal to 2 separate outputs? Or is there an easier (and more elegant) solution?

I also run MainStage on my Mac; but I guess either way, the signal has to be split at some point and routed to boith amps.

Any ideas? I'm probably overthinking this.

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and theres lots of other options if you want a bigger sound.

Delay one of the signals anywhere from 5-35 msec.

I actually run my Code 8 in Mono instead of stereo out just to slip a delay in one of the signals.

You can tighten the delay for a Tape Flange kind of sound too.

But if you ever heard speaker Arrays where you can add delay to the cabinets its the same principle.

Actually heard a cheap Peavey FXII-16 Mixer with that capability on QSC KW Series PA and bought the whole package.

With and without the delay didnt require focusing your ears it knocked me back it was so obvious.

To the Synth Warriors, Discrete Audio is our weapon, audio mangling, a way of life,

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

can a Y cable do it?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I use this ABY pedal. It can switch between two outputs or send to both. It's a passive device; the power adapter is only for enabling the status LED (I don't use one).

HX3.5|NS3|NE5D73|NUMAX73|SP6|XK-1c|MOXF8|PX-5S|D1|Monologue|Wurli 200|K2vxS|M3|145|Hohner Concerto iii|Vent II|Key Largo|DZR10|K8.2's

The Boss LS-2 Line Selector stompbox has a bunch of additional routing modes should the need arise and adjustable volume for both outputs.

When I just need to split the signal (Hammond into Leslie preamp and split off to the P.A. Input of the tape Echo, and from there back into the Second Channel of the leslie preamp), i use a simple Lehle P-Split.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Another simple splitter, active with phase-reversal on one of the outputs and isolation to prevent ground loops:

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/suhr-buffer/

I use this one all the time for guitar, and it's great. No change in tone that I can detect. Never have tried it with keyboards, but now that cool delay idea has got me thinking!

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

Another simple splitter, active with phase-reversal on one of the outputs and isolation to prevent ground loops:

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/suhr-buffer/

I use this one all the time for guitar, and it's great. No change in tone that I can detect. Never have tried it with keyboards, but now that cool delay idea has got me thinking!

First discovered this on an ancient 360 Systems MIDI Bass Pedal. Think of the Bass sound from the Jerry Seinfeld Show.

It has Synths EBass/Slap, etc.

Took a bass line and copied it to another track on the Hardware Sequencer then used Clock Shift to add MIDI Delay. You could get a Combing effect or just tight doubling that makes the sound bigger.

After that we bought the TX816 and doubled the Bassline on 2 modules for 4 signals, then use the other 6 for EPianos and FM Brass.

Been doing this without a Sequencer ever since.

Also why I use 2 or 3 electric piano samples.

Cantabury Rhodes mixed with Beefy PianoTeq, then Keyscape Crystal Rhodes for the Tine/Bellish Sound.

I even do this on acoustic pianos.

PianoTeq Mixed again with Wing Upright in Keyscape is bigger and more authentic as the samples/PhysMods compliment each other.

On a Hardware Analog Synth you should be able to part your hair with Fat SPLs.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived