Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I wanted to be a guitar God King

desertbluesman

When I was a kid I had this impression that I was a reincarnated King of old. (I used to have this recurring thought that I was once a king). When I found out that I was actually a peasant, it came as an awful big shock. I am talking pre-teen and teen years. When I became a bricklayer the actual truth dawned on my. Sigh (and boo hoo hoo)...........

:cheers::D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DBM, w've talked abt yer skills before (& I bet others have expressed similar ideas as I have).

You are veeeeeeeeeery skilled, more so than you seem to realize or allow yerself to admit.

Our youthful ideas always shift as we live &, hopefully, grow.

If there's a definite fate that awaits us, I doubt but I do think that even things that seem diversions or distractions don't matter as much as our reactions to them.

That's something of which I sometimes need reminding as much as anyone else.

Few of us have as clear a sense of direction & purpose as Prince or McCartney...& even those cats got off track at times.

Don't be afraid or hold back.

Be you.

Mo one else will be better at that.

[video:youtube]

:cheers:
d=halfnote

DBM, w've talked abt yer skills before (& I bet others have expressed similar ideas as I have).

You are veeeeeeeeeery skilled, more so than you seem to realize or allow yerself to admit.

I was only amused by this thought this morning, I do not know why it popped into my head but I thought it was amusing. Just posted it for a laugh......... But as always thanks for the nice words amigo......

I always wanted to grow up and be a King like Elvis. Somewhere along the way it dawned on me that dream was not going to come true...I still played the bars and honky tonks and had lots of fun. Now and then I do an open mic and once again I'm 21...that's what I always think about now since hearing this song by Charlie Daniels:

You are a star DBM so keep on shining! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I've answered this elsewhere.

But it does seem that as our lives go on, the dreams we have for ourselves change as often as the weather. I've listed several of mine over there, but here I'll add that once, I even dreamed of winning THE ACADEMY AWARD! :o:laugh:

Even put it on the same shelf with my PULITZER! :freak:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I thought it would be a fun discussion among peers. I figured we all had the same dream about being a musical hit. I of course was motivated by the big dollars that the rock guitar gods were making, and the groupies, which is of course, the wrong motivation, therefore my goals were not sincere enough to accomplish it.

I did follow the muse after deciding music was my hobby not my career, and created decent songs and recordings, so in that sense I did succeed. And I am still not done with music by a long shot.

I have been playing out here and there even though I prefer just playing at home these days. I can't refuse friends when they want me to play. I did a gig at the VA hospital, then another down on main street at a Farmer's market, and last week I did an open mic fundraiser at a local club for the fire victims up in Paradise California. Then I got another call yesterday to do another street gig for a Christmas lighting ceremony...so, I do get to play now and then for fun...no charge. That way if I forget a chord or lyric I don't have to fret over it LOL! I think my dreams of being a star faded long ago, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on music. I came up with a couple of new licks last night just noodling around...I enjoy our discussions DBM, even if I sound melancholy at times LOL!

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

When my parents asked why I had become interested in playing electric guitar at about 13 years old, I said something like "So I can join a band & be bigger than the Beatles." I have since adjusted my expectations somewhat, but I have had a career in music, more than I could ever have imagined, and for that I am very happy.
Scott Fraser

Somewhere, way back, I reached a point where I was less deluded about becoming famous (or anything like it), and just wanted to focus on being able to play, even if no one heard me: Musicianship became a goal unto itself, and still is.

Now, I'm an old married guy, with a few decent Guitars, and a place in the local Music scene, among people I like. I've had a show to play every month from June through November, and way back in January, I got to play in D.C.'s premier Music club with what may have been the largest Massed-Guitar orchestra in D.C. Music history. Not bad for a nobody . . .

Being God-King looks like fun when you're young, but it's a hell of a job if you take it seriously, and just plain hellish if you don't. Some of the God-King players whose skills we revere were assholes and wastrels IRL, and many died, or burned out young, as a result. I'll settle for being a Weird Old Guy with a Guitar.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Being God-King looks like fun when you're young, but it's a hell of a job if you take it seriously, and just plain hellish if you don't. Some of the God-King players whose skills we revere were assholes and wastrels IRL, and many died, or burned out young, as a result. I'll settle for being a Weird Old Guy with a Guitar.

Yep +1

Why is it that folks who believe in reincarnation all seem to have been kings, queens, generals, etc? Nobody ever claims to have been a dink who died some painful and/or humiliating death in total obscurity...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I guess it's partly perspective :idk but reading "god-king" I immediately thought in terms of ability to affect others rather than in terms of adulation.

@d - I think it's a little of both. One example I had in mind was Jaco. The guy was clearly brilliant; he changed the way we heard the Electric Bass, and the way new players would approach it. There is no doubting his talent, nor his impact.

OTOH, I recall reading an interview with Joni Mitchell, where Jaco was playing a live gig with her, and all but sabotaged the performance with his antics. The circumstances of his death point up how he spent his last days. We can admire his talent, but not want to emulate his life.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Why is it that folks who believe in reincarnation all seem to have been kings, queens, generals, etc? Nobody ever claims to have been a dink who died some painful and/or humiliating death in total obscurity...

Well I had these dreams when I was about 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years old. I was a native running through the jungle in a panic I then took to a tree for shelter and a giant cat like animal came on me and killed me, I woke up in a panic. Then on other nights I had this dream I was running from some men and they cornered me in a house and I was sitting on the floor up against a stove or refrigerator and they shot me, again I woke up in a panic. So I was a criminal/perhaps murderer and a native peasant in those two dreams. Later on when I came across the idea of reincarnation, I thought that "maybe" those were glimpses of previous lives.

:cheers:

I guess it's partly perspective :idk but reading "god-king" I immediately thought in terms of ability to affect others rather than in terms of adulation.

@d - I think it's a little of both. One example I had in mind was Jaco. The guy was clearly brilliant; he changed the way we heard the Electric Bass, and the way new players would approach it. There is no doubting his talent, nor his impact.

OTOH, I recall reading an interview with Joni Mitchell, where Jaco was playing a live gig with her, and all but sabotaged the performance with his antics. The circumstances of his death point up how he spent his last days. We can admire his talent, but not want to emulate his life.

True dat, as the kids say, but aren't we, here, dealing w/our mindsets rather than that of others ?

After all, if commenting on what others might do or be like (or Do Bee or even Doobie like :facepalm: ) we'd see that every possible variation on behavior is exemplified out there by someone !

BTW, the flip side of the Jaco (or Jocko) flaw mentioned above (which was likely due to incipient mental illness more than mere personality disorder) is the path of cats like Stevie RaveOn, who started as a relatively nice guy (pre-fame, when I 1st met him), had his head turned radically egocentric & then came to realize, in true Johnny Winter fashion, that he hadda Get A Grip before it was too late...which he just managed to do. :(

Dial up 2:15 for some relevant remarks

GodKings

d=halfnote

@d - In terms of mindsets, God-King is more of a role one has to take on, not always by choice. Still, if you're going to apply for the job, you better be prepared to wear the uniform, and perform all the required rituals of office, part of which is to believe in one's own importance.

I point Jaco out solely as a tragic example, not to criticize the man or his memory. As you say, it's very likely that mental illness, probably exacerbated by drug use, played a huge part in his downfall. EVH might be an example of one who survived the cycle. Came up out of nowhere, became a Guitar Hero overnight, then became tabloid fodder not long after. At least he lived to keep on playing Guitar . . .

... if you're going to apply for the job, you better be prepared to wear the uniform, and perform all the required rituals of office, part of which is to believe in one's own importance.

True in some cases & that can be an ego-trip but it can be something else.

There's also one's sheer potential to be a benefit too others & the kinda-sorta responsibility to step to the role & do what, mebbe, no one else may be able...

If we're all one big, it may be this way...

d=halfnote

Here's the kinda think I think of when considering Gtr God-Kings.

The NYTimes finally published Hawaiian slack key master Cyril Pahinui's obit today [he died mid Nov] mostly drawn from cyrilpahinui.com.

Most interestingly, Pahinui was not just a skilled player & singer, he was a dedicated educator of students both private & at U of Hawaii & elsewhere including the Hawaiian Masters Youth Outreach & Community Reinvestment Program.

Accepting the First People's Fund Community Spirit Award in 2K13 he has this to say:

"I will continue to share, teaching what I know. The young will someday have to carry it on."

:cool:

Real G-Ks also don't always play the most difficult things.

Like Miles Davis, they know the value of simple communication.

Here's one doing his thing.

d=halfnote

I often wondered why top-notch guitar players seem to have more than their fair share of substance abuse problems. Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Slash, and others were heroin addicts. Jeff Beck, Edward Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughn and others had alcohol problems. From what I heard, Robin Trower had cocaine problems. Tommy Bolin died from having numerous drugs in his body at one time, and Ron Wood almost got kicked out of the Rolling Stones for his excessive drug use. You very rarely ever hear of keyboardists or bass player having these kinds of problems. So why guitar players more than instrument players or roles in a band?
I rock; therefore, I am.

That's not true.

The same thing applies to all sorts of musicians & artists.

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell (& a long list of others) in the jazz world for example.

Same deal in visual arts.

In fact that's an across the board thing regardless of one's work.

Teachers, bankers, doctors....

That sort of thing's more to do w/personality type than occupation.

Rock gtr cats are simply the category of which yer most aware.

Here's a couple quick links to some examples. You'll notice that while mostly in recent pop music, most aren't guitarists.

https://drugabuse.com/30-famous-musicians-who-have-battled-drug-addiction-and-alcoholism/

https://www.quora.com/Why-have-most-of-the-great-jazz-musicians-used-drugs-and-alcohol-like-Dexter-Gordon-Charlie-Parker-Lester-Young-and-others-Is-there-any-relation-between-drug-abuse-and-alcoholism-and-jazz-music

https://drugabuse.com/30-famous-athletes-who-have-battled-drug-addiction-and-alcoholism/

AND it's not just folks in "high stress" fields.

In recent years the majority of drug users in the USA are working class folks w/little direct affect on others's lives.

d=halfnote

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll...I think we just zero in on the guitar players as that's where our forum interests are. I feel bad when I see some of our great guitar Gods die too soon at a young age. I agree that drug and alcohol addictions know no boundaries. Musicians have pretty much always had the reputation of drug and alcohol use, regardless of instruments played...I guess some of them like to party a little too much. :keynana:
Take care, Larryz

Pop star Demi Lovato has been on and off with substance issues, but is upfront about it with her audience. I think that`s better then letting publicists and `handlers` cover it up with BS.

Back to the `God-King` image, I have always found `guitar hero` to be a silly and infantile concept. I totally respect and look up to great players, but they are still people. Trying to make some kind of `role model` or living plastic action figure of them or of anyone-especially oneself-is a one-way ticket to disillusionment.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That's not true.

The same thing applies to all sorts of musicians & artists.

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell (& a long list of others) in the jazz world for example.

Same deal in visual arts.

Don't too, forget that many of them "Hep cats" the "greatest generation" enjoyed( Goodman, Shaw, Herman, etc.) partook a bit, but not all to the point of addiction, but still, many from that generation( like my ex Mother in law) seemed to think OUR generation "invented" marijuana and heroin and cocaine. Some actually SHOCKED to discover what the "coca" in Coca-Cola actually USED to be! :o

And remember too, that the beloved SATCHMO enjoyed his daily "blunt" until his dying day. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived