Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FT: Any Floridians out there?

I know Craig lives in Florida... anyone else?

I'm about to move to Florida and need lots of info.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SW Florida ......Ft. Myers/Cape Coral/Sanibel and Captiva Islands checking in. (Only move here if you bring that lovely lady!) LOL

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

(Only move here if you bring that lovely lady!) LOL

That's a possibility :wave:

Maybe - and only maybe- I'm taking a new resposibility at my current job and it might require me to move... I'm still deciding. MIAMI sounds like the right place... or event better, a quiet small town nearby MIAMI ...

Any ideas?

www.guslozada.com

I am originally from N.Y.C. You can HAVE Miami. :) ....AND KEEP THE NUTS AWAY FROM MY COAST! LOL

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

There aren't really any quiet small towns near Miami. It's basically one big city from North Palm Beach down to Cutler Ridge. You can only go so far west before you hit Everglades, so everything's built up in that narrow band. If you go too far into the suburbs in Miami, the traffic gets horrendous. Miami Beach is pretty nice. On South Beach, you pay a premium to be in that culture, but the middle beach has some nice areas. Miami Shores is good, a little stuck-up but has very nice houses. Plus, it puts you close to Yngwie. :D I lived in Miami for ten years, and eventually gravitated to North Miami. It had the best mix of being close to things while not being too crowded, is relatively quiet and safe, yet not too expensive. Most of the Latin culture is on the south and west side of Miami. (You might be surprised at how segregated Miami is.) On the west side, Miami Lakes is a fairly trendy place to live. I think it's overrated, and you're going to hit traffic going anywhere from there. In the south, Coconut Grove is the most artistic/bohemian part of Miami. Visit there on a Friday night, both for a fun time and to get a sober look at whether you really want to live there. I recommend it, but you have to be careful with location because it has some nice areas only a couple of blocks away from some of the deadliest areas in town. Coral Gables is nice, very upscale. I haven't spent a lot of time in South Miami, but it seems like it would be a gem, kind of like North Miami. Any farther than that, and you'll be pulling your hair out in traffic jams if you ever have to get downtown. Or even if you just have to get out to the grocery store, in Kendall. Hurricane Andrew caused a lot of people to move, and traffic never recovered. That's why you should avoid Kendall and Hialeah.

Originally posted by dementia13:

There aren't really any quiet small towns near Miami. It's basically one big city from North Palm Beach down to Cutler Ridge. You can only go so far west before you hit Everglades, so everything's built up in that narrow band. If you go too far into the suburbs in Miami, the traffic gets horrendous. Miami Beach is pretty nice. On South Beach, you pay a premium to be in that culture, but the middle beach has some nice areas. Miami Shores is good, a little stuck-up but has very nice houses. Plus, it puts you close to Yngwie. :D I lived in Miami for ten years, and eventually gravitated to North Miami. It had the best mix of being close to things while not being too crowded, is relatively quiet and safe, yet not too expensive. Most of the Latin culture is on the south and west side of Miami. (You might be surprised at how segregated Miami is.) On the west side, Miami Lakes is a fairly trendy place to live. I think it's overrated, and you're going to hit traffic going anywhere from there. In the south, Coconut Grove is the most artistic/bohemian part of Miami. Visit there on a Friday night, both for a fun time and to get a sober look at whether you really want to live there. I recommend it, but you have to be careful with location because it has some nice areas only a couple of blocks away from some of the deadliest areas in town. Coral Gables is nice, very upscale. I haven't spent a lot of time in South Miami, but it seems like it would be a gem, kind of like North Miami. Any farther than that, and you'll be pulling your hair out in traffic jams if you ever have to get downtown. Or even if you just have to get out to the grocery store, in Kendall. Hurricane Andrew caused a lot of people to move, and traffic never recovered. That's why you should avoid Kendall and Hialeah.

Excellent info!

Many thanks!

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Phait:

I think the one thing that keeps me from moving there is hurricanes.

That is another VERY important Issue

Where, near to Miami, is safer?

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

How far, Gus? Lay some distance parameters on me.

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

How far, Gus? Lay some distance parameters on me.
What really concerns me and is the main reason I'm gonna need to move, is the fact I can take a plane from Miami to Europe easier -and shorter trip than California-. So, let's say it better...

One hour from Miami's international airport, maybe a litle bit more...

I feel completeyl ignorant :o

www.guslozada.com

(As you know) I Live In Central Florida. I'm moving to Miami in a couple of months. I've been there a lot. I guess the best place to live, if you can afford it is Coral Gables. SoBe is super cool, typical party scene town by the beach. Very high cost living. Traffic's horrible. It would take you 15 minutes to move two blocks. Literally! If you can get a bicycle...or just walk... heheh...

Coconut Grove is the most artistic/bohemian part of Miami.
I totally loved Coconut Grove. You gotta check it out.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Coral Gables... sounds like a nice place, near to the airport and all the fun...

www.guslozada.com

Bump!

Any other Floridians / Miamites out there?

(I'am absolutely kidding regargind the "Floridians" and "Miamites" words. I have no clue how to call people from Florida/Miami but it sounded cool for a foreigner :D )

www.guslozada.com

North Floridian here... Not much advice I can give you about Miami, other than the fact that I just flew out/in from/to Miami International... Be sure to arrive (at least) 2.5 hrs early when flying out of the country! Good luck with the move...

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

Gus,

I live in Tampa. Other side of the state from Miami, and mid-way up. About 70 miles west and a hair south of "the mouse".

Personally, I'd rather live here than Miami, although the Cuban food there is better (ours is damn good, however).

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - don\'t call people who are from Tampa "tampons".

Originally posted by DJDM:

Hey Gus that's great! Gonna bring some of your lady friends along to beautify the US? ;)

I wish I could take Sophie with me... still negotiating ;)

HEY GUYS

Thanks for your comments!

Cool info to start with...

:thu:

www.guslozada.com

Hurricanes really seem to miss there most of the time: they usually wind up going up the coast and hitting North Carolina, or around Cuba and landing in New Orleans. Hurricanes are really only bad when you get a severe one, like Andrew, and a hurricane of that strength is very rare (though global warming may change that). There have only been two severe hurricanes in Miami's 100+ year history, the other being sometime before television and talking films. As natural disasters go, and everyplace has something, I'd take hurricanes over tornadoes or earthquakes.

I have no clue how to call people from Florida/Miami but it sounded cool for a foreigner
Floridians and Miamians. And everybody in South Florida is a foreigner anyway. Growing up in West Palm Beach, everybody else was from up north. In Miami, everybody else was from down south. And the few native Floridians have all moved up to North Carolina. (No stupid "bring the flag" jokes, please).

I lived in Tampa for a couple of years, and I enjoyed that city. It's not as big or crowded as Miami, and it's more of a regular Southern city than any of South Florida.

Alright! :thu:

All the luck in the world Gus!!!

Funny you mentioned it, I may move a bit closer to the airport here in San Juan (still pending app). Mi casa es su casa, siempre.

Hurricaines... we learned to live with the possibility, just prepare and relax.

Craig lives here? Didn't know that...

Dementia says it all pretty well, I've lived in South Florida over 40 years, Miami & now Lauderdale. If you can afford to live in a pricey gated community I guess you can feel as safe as is humanly possible; you could even live in a place like Weston, which is closer to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami, and still get to Miami airport in an hour, as long as it isn't 'rush' hour. Oh, and people who don't live in Florida are more afraid of hurricanes than we are, IMO you can't beat the climate anywhere else in the States...

P.S.

Ft. Lauderdale has a pretty big airport too,

I don't know about their flights to Europe though...

jboy

Gus,

The Upper Keys (Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada) and Middle Keys (Long Key, Duck Key, Marathon) are between 1-2 hours from Miami International. I've lived in the Keys for 20 years, and the islands are some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Winters are warmer, and summers are cooler than even Miami.

The downside? The cost of living is high, driven by the escalating price for real estate. Compared to waterfront areas in other parts of Florida (like the intracoastal in Lauderdale), however, the Keys are still a little underpriced. This is changing rapidly.

Just a little more food for thought. Speaking of food, wait til you taste stone crab...

And check out my city: www.marathonflorida.org

Yes, it is MY city! ;-)

Buena suerte!

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

www.radioactivedigital.com

Originally posted by JohnBartus:

Gus,

The Upper Keys (Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada) and Middle Keys (Long Key, Duck Key, Marathon) are between 1-2 hours from Miami International. I've lived in the Keys for 20 years, and the islands are some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Winters are warmer, and summers are cooler than even Miami.

The downside? The cost of living is high, driven by the escalating price for real estate. Compared to waterfront areas in other parts of Florida (like the intracoastal in Lauderdale), however, the Keys are still a little underpriced. This is changing rapidly.

Just a little more food for thought. Speaking of food, wait til you taste stone crab...

And check out my city: www.marathonflorida.org

Yes, it is MY city! ;-)

Buena suerte!

Thanks, John!

:wave:

www.guslozada.com

Hi Gus, we're in Sarasota which is about an hour south of Tampa on the Gulf Coast. We're expat Europeans, we've been here nearly three years, and one thing comes to mind when describing life in this bit of Florida.

It's quiet. VERY quiet. Like rigor mortis has set in.

Tampa seems like a real town by comparison (though the music scene isn't up to much, IMHO) but Miami is ...oh, my word, a real city, with real people. It's actually too sexy for its shirt, to quote the Fairbrass brothers; but the traffic sucks donkey-b******s. We gave the kids to a friend for a few days and stayed on Ocean Drive, drove around the waterfront homes, Star Island, Bal Harbor etc and had a ball. Muchos dineros spent... and never once regretted it. You won't either.

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by Geetar:

Hi Gus, we're in Sarasota which is about an hour south of Tampa on the Gulf Coast. We're expat Europeans, we've been here nearly three years, and one thing comes to mind when describing life in this bit of Florida.

It's quiet. VERY quiet. Like rigor mortis has set in.

Tampa seems like a real town by comparison (though the music scene isn't up to much, IMHO) but Miami is ...oh, my word, a real city, with real people. It's actually too sexy for its shirt, to quote the Fairbrass brothers; but the traffic sucks donkey-b******s. We gave the kids to a friend for a few days and stayed on Ocean Drive, drove around the waterfront homes, Star Island, Bal Harbor etc and had a ball. Muchos dineros spent... and never once regretted it. You won't either.

Thanks for your info!

:wave:

www.guslozada.com

Hey Gus, you have to let us know where you are gonna be working first. You don't wanna spend hours a day just commuting.

I'll have some pointers for you.

Hurricanes usually do track to the north, but that doesn't mean you're unaffected...lots of rain and wind, but your car won't be overturned or anything. You can usually get a cut on insurance rates if you're west of I-95, the main highway up and down the east coast. However, my house insurance was canceled last year because the company didn't want to insure anything in Florida. I was able to get new insurance, though, and the cost wasn't much more.

Where I live is about halfway between Orlando and Miami. I moved here to be isolated, but it's building up rapidly. I'm actually planning on moving before too long, the area is changing fast and I want a more open feel...been looking hard at New Mexico, there's something cool about a state with only 1.8 million people in it. I've lived there before and although I'll miss the water a lot, I've missed the mountains here. My goal is to eventually have a main house and a small house somewhere else...like maybe a little cheap vacation place in Florida for the winter. Or if I win the lottery, the south of France .

BTW the "commute" to Europe is a lot better from the East Coast. Just cutting a couple hours off the plane flight and time zone change makes a big difference.

Just be aware there are about 40 different Floridas...agricultural Florida, Cuban Florida, redneck Florida, open air mausoleum Florida, technology Florida, Disney Florida, Carl Hiassen Florida, Miami, gay Florida, the panhandle, etc. I strongly suggest renting for quite a while and getting to know the state before buying a house or anything.

Also you'll find a different attitude here, hard to describe but it seems there's a voluntary shedding of several IQ points when you enter the state. With all that sun and sand, there's no real need to get all Einsteinian about stuff.

And they're not kidding about the traffic. There are dozens of nationalities represented in Miami, and they've all brought the traffic laws of their native lands with them. One advantage you'll have is you at least speak the primary language, and I don't mean English .

Do you NEED to live near a specific area (office etc.), or will you work out of your home and have more latitude about where to live?

Archived