Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm getting a Steinway

Devnor

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Devnor,

I am so glad you created this thread. The gift of your dad's piano is about passing on the love of music, which is something we can all relate to. It reminded me of a time when my family had to relocate to a large, dense city and into a small apartment, and the family had to prioritize space and money. My dad made it a point to arrange for a small upright piano, so that my piano practice could continue. I saw his gesture as love, which is what music is about. Thank you for reminding me of that time.

Occasionally, animal spirits take over this forum and silly copycat threads emerge. It often means the hardworking music elves who create our toys don't have anything new for us to discuss. Some of these threads take on a hilarious life of their own and have been bookmarked for their sheer brilliance. Others fail to hit the mark and vanish. Along the way, the silliness and fun (the intelligence and knowledge of the people in this community) have kept me engaged for 1.5 decades of joy. I wish the same or better and I look forward to your posts. Best,

I didnt realize this gift would turn into the forum joke. Just please remove this post/thread.

The beauty of the gift left for you is not lost even among the silliest of us.

Please do not take offense to the spin put on it in separate threads. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You should look at the copycat threads as a right of passage and be proud that your fellow forumites consider you significant member of the family. I understand also the significance of the passing of a family member and why the tongue in cheek copycats might not sit as well as in other circumstances.

My brother passed away several years ago and had a Steinway of early 50s vintage that he always wished to be handed down in the family - we all at least play if not musician's per se. It still resided in his ex wife's house. When he passed, despite the fact that he wished it to remain in the family, and despite the fact that she nor anybody in her family even plays the piano, she produced a receipt with her name on it from when they were married. So congratulations to her. Despite his wishes, she now owns a nice piece of furniture that she, nor any of her friends or family can play. Hope she's happy.

So yes, I am extremely happy for you to have this piano and can understand why it means much more than just getting a piano.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Devnor in no way should you be sorry you shared your story. To have the opportunity to own an instrument you Dad played is very special. Few ever have this opportunity and it is an uplifting story and I wish you a lifetime of enjoyment playing this very special instrument.

The other threads are just an attempt at well intentioned, maybe misguided, humour on a slow day.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

It is definitely a great story of the legacy of a musical family, you should not be concerned about the generalized (and good natured) silliness of this place. Many of us have been here for so long we just take advantage of any reason to post something.

I didnt realize this gift would turn into the forum joke. Just please remove this post/thread.

No way if anything all those other threads should be deleted not this one! I love your story and this forum is the perfect place for it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

100% agree, thank you again for sharing Devnor. If the other threads don't sit well with you (which is totally understandable), they should be deleted, not this thread. It's exactly what we come here for. However, if you feel that you've reached a point of no return, I'd support whatever you feel is necessary out of respect for you and your family.

As the one who started the first of the lousy take-off threads, I'm really sorry. I meant absolutely no disrespect to the content of your incredible thread. Having lost my own father way too early in my life, and in some ways still reeling from it, I swear I meant only to play with the thread title, as we do here sometimes. But it was a dumb choice and I should have thought it through. I'm sorry and am happy to delete.

Congrats on the piano and more important, on the "rest" of what it comes with, which is priceless beyond the "Artist" designation.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The perspective shot makes it a bit tricky to identify length, but you obviously can measure that yourself. I agree based on width-to-length ratio that it is just under 6", but possibly not quite in the Baby Grand category.
You should be able to tell from the serial number; if it is just under 6 it could be an M, but I cant imagine an artist would use anything less than a B

Yes most "artist" pianos are usually Ds. In larger cities that have more concerts/recitals by Steinway Artists, you'll find Bs for smaller, more intimate venues or for a session at a recording studio.

Also here in LA, SF and NY, we have Pro Piano. They normally have at least one Hamburg D or B in their fleet if requested.

https://propiano.com/

Yes Devnor, enough suspense, inquiring minds want to know - an O or an M ? :)

I havent been able to find anything on Steinways site about the Artist Series.

Archived