Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm getting a Steinway

Devnor

My father's piano. He passed away many years ago but Mother told me it's time to make arrangements to get this thing moved. I don't know much about this beast. She says it's an "artist" Steinway, whatever that means. My parents taught piano in Ft Worth TX. One of my father's students was Danny Wright. Dad used to tune Van Cliburn's pianos in his home and for certain touring pianists. In the 80s when he decided to buy his holy grail, he played dozens of Steinways and settled on this one. To coin a guitarist term, it has the mojo. It's been played and it shows but that sound. That sound!

Zgq8EOil.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding of the Artist series is that these are the hand-picked Steinways located throughout the country which Steinway artists can use at no charge (though they are required to pay moving costs, not insignificant). The story told me by the top Steinway tech in Seattle is that when an exceptional piano comes off the line, it's pulled and reserved for the Artist series. I played the Steinway B in Seattle and it was without a doubt the finest B I've ever played. The note-to-note consistency was really perfect, the tone, just wonderful. Understand these are very well maintained. The tech told me that when they do come up for sale, people line up to bid.

So, if that's what you've got, it could be an exceptional instrument. Congrats.

Busch.

Devnor, I think you likely know someone else in the Dallas Fort Worth area who is on the Digital Performer users forum. But he goes by a code name there and I forget his real name, other than that his first name is Mark. Based on your story, I am at least 99% certain that he knew your dad. Way too many common elements.

The perspective shot makes it a bit tricky to identify length, but you obviously can measure that yourself. I agree based on width-to-length ratio that it is just under 6", but possibly not quite in the Baby Grand category. It is definitely smaller than my parents' Steinway (not sure which model they inherited from my grandmother but it was hand-picked from the New York factory during the Depression, and is a full grand), and smaller than their Mason & Hamlin baby grand (I think the BB-series, maybe 5'6").

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A remarkable legacy I'm sure you'll treasure and take very good care of. Enjoy!

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

The perspective shot makes it a bit tricky to identify length, but you obviously can measure that yourself. I agree based on width-to-length ratio that it is just under 6", but possibly not quite in the Baby Grand category.
You should be able to tell from the serial number; if it is just under 6 it could be an M, but I cant imagine an artist would use anything less than a B

Yes, two pianos is common, for teacher/student, and for two-piano works (like what my parents did up until health and arthritis put them into a mode of "renting out" their piano room for others to use).

I don't know how common it is for them to both be the same or similar. For two-piano works, my parents prefer different timbre so the two pianos are distinct. For teacher/student, when the student is more advanced in particular, the same might apply, in order to pick out nuances of pedaling/etc.

Both my grandmother and my parents paired a Mason & Hamlin baby grand with a Steinway full grand.

Even two Steinways can sound distinct though -- especially if set up differently. And I have thoroughly enjoyed two-piano recitals in the Bay Area that pair a couple of Steinways -- though I notice they tend to not use the exact same size for both. I've been less thrilled hearing Steinway paired with Yamaha. Personal taste of course, but I don't feel they blend well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The perspective shot makes it a bit tricky to identify length, but you obviously can measure that yourself. I agree based on width-to-length ratio that it is just under 6", but possibly not quite in the Baby Grand category.
You should be able to tell from the serial number; if it is just under 6 it could be an M, but I cant imagine an artist would use anything less than a B

Yes most "artist" pianos are usually Ds. In larger cities that have more concerts/recitals by Steinway Artists, you'll find Bs for smaller, more intimate venues or for a session at a recording studio.

Also here in LA, SF and NY, we have Pro Piano. They normally have at least one Hamburg D or B in their fleet if requested.

https://propiano.com/

Yes Devnor, enough suspense, inquiring minds want to know - an O or an M ? :)

My picture is a bit misleading. This piano is about 7', same as the Yamaha C7 sitting next to it. My parents always had 4 grands, their studio churned out a ton of kids.

Thank you all for the insight into this instrument. I'll have more info in a few weeks.

My picture is a bit misleading. This piano is about 7', same as the Yamaha C7 sitting next to it. My parents always had 4 grands, their studio churned out a ton of kids.

Thank you all for the insight into this instrument. I'll have more info in a few weeks.

A B is 6' 11" so likely that's it, fantastic, and also makes sense as an Artist series piano. Wow.

Busch.

Congrats, Devnor! I'm sure you will enjoy and treasure this instrument.

As far as the model, my understanding is that most Steinways have the model letter on the plate in that triangle at the break between the bass strings and the mids.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived