Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Thanksgiving this year

timwat

This will be a little different thanksgiving this year. My band leader and friend passed away suddenly two weeks ago.

He went downstairs to watch TV and his wife found him dead later that evening. Sounds like a heart attack or similar to us. He left behind a wife and two children; music was his full-time gig and he was a gifted singer, savvy manager and band leader, and was one of the more successful bookers in the whole SF Bay Area.

The two of us had several projects looking to launch in 2019, and it was a delightful and unique experience being his MD. I've shared some of the specifics and uniquenesses of this gig in other threads, won't repeat myself here.

I will miss him greatly.

And more importantly, this will be the first holiday season for his wife and children. I didn't know his family that well, but I know what it's like to encounter the first holiday season without one of.

Life is indeed short, and precious, and not to be taken for granted. I will be a little more thankful, and a little more grateful this year. One of my good friends isn't here anymore.

Tim W

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brotha Tim, cherish the memories of your friend in life and music.

His work on this side of glory was done. His family will make it through as well.

Life is indeed short. It has a way of reminding us of what's most important.

We should always be so ever thankful and grateful because we all have a date and no idea of when it will come.

Live life to the fullest. Treat each other as we wish to be treated. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So sorry for your loss Tim. Sounds like you had an awesome time together musically as friends. Great memories to be cherished forever. Your words ring true, we should indeed take nothing for granted. With the way the world is these days, everything is such a rat race that we sometimes lose sight of how precious family and friends are and how thankful we should be to have them around and especially so with being able to share our passion for playing music. Stay well Tim.

I buried my favorite aunt this past Saturday. She was the last of that generation, leaving me (of all people) as the patriarch of the family for those who care about such things. (Spoiler alert: No one in my family gives a damn.)

So...yeah...the first holiday season without thing resonates with me, too. We'll get by. It's just one of those shock to the system things that life tosses out to see if we're paying attention. I am. Promise.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Tim, I am so sorry, and shocked, to hear that. Most of my bandmates also knew him a bit and/or had seen him play or jammed with him at one point. It's a tight world here in the Bay Area and everyone knows everyone else.

I still miss my bandleader, who was also my best friend. Time heals, but slowly. It's especially hard around the holidays, and when there's no prior warning.

Cherish what you have, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with those you can be with.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Tim, the one bright spot is that he got to pass quickly, which seems only fair to someone who lifted everyone else's boats along with his own. Anyone who behaves like a mensch deserves the same. I lost my 3rd-to-last dedicated synth buddy after a bad year with chemo and etc., so your story strikes an all too familiar Harry-Partch-type chord with me. He had a really stout rig and always laughed about how he'd bought way beyond his actual capabilities. That kind of friend is often a side benefit of being a synth fan, so I sympathize with you.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I will be a little more thankful, and a little more grateful this year.

we all need to aspire to this, hopefully.

Ame...er, I agree 100%.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I'm just seeing this now, Tim. My condolences. I'm glad he did great things and that you got to have great times with him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived