Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple synth question from a noob korg user

KeyboardEric

Hello I created a pad on my Korg Kross 2 based on the divebomb sound in Baker Street. I'm pretty happy with it but the only problem is that once the sound reaches the end of the wave form it automatically cycles it over again. It's very low volume by that point so it would be difficult to notice in a band setting but I'm wondering if there is a way to program it so that it only cycles the wave form one time even if I hold the key down. Possible? Any help appreciated.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not knowing exactly how you programmed it, I will have to speculate.

Generally, if you have a repeated modulation that means you used an LFO to modulate the pitch.

If you want a single sweep you need to use an envelope instead. A link to the sound you are talking about would help.

Moe

---

Yeah sounds like an LFO, which would repeat. I'm guessing you are talking about the electronic drum sound (or at least it reminds me of a drum sound!) that comes in during the main sax riff (?)

Unless it's part of a pad that needs to keep playing, couldn't you just let up the key after it plays the first dive?

I always thought it was electric guitar sliding down the neck.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks for replies. I'm not sure what the original sound is but I don't think the video link is accurate!

Yes I went with the LFO to modulate pitch (saw wave) so I guess it must repeat - no way around it. I will give the envelope approach a try next! thank you again!

Use an envelope to control pitch. Turn off the LFO.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I cover the song on a Kronos and while I don't remember offhand what patch I use to emulate that dive-bomb sound, something from the SFX bank I think, I use the volume pedal to fade it out smoothly each time I hit it, then take my finger off that part (so it stops sounding) and bring the volume pedal back up while I continue to play the other parts before hitting the sound effect again every two measures. Have my combi set up so the other patches don't respond to the volume pedal. I too think it's guitar on the original record, but my guitar player is busy playing another part there so asked if I could cover that sound.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

At 0:26 , if this extended version is accurate, it appears a keyboard is used to produce the sound:

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

The keyboard on the video looks like a Solina, which should sound brighter than what is on the record, even if you are using the horn sound and not the strings. Maybe they did some processing? :idk

You could take a cue from the video and do it as a glissando on some keyboard: mellow sound, slow attack, portamento, etc. If you have the keyboard space to do a gliss, it will be more fun than triggering an envelope.

Just for fun, here's my current band covering it live in the studio. I get to wrangle a bunch of different parts and patches, all very simple but it's fun. I have a delay set on those little flute fills during the verses, AP and EP parts, a soft lead during the intro, string pads, and you can see me hitting that sound we're talking about on the lowest note of my Kronos, in a few spots you can even almost hear it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2013680651975581&id=112042758806056

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Rich, nice video! I like the way you set up the patches. Very clever. :thu:

Is it just me or does anyone feel a sense of anxiety when the vocalist moves over to the microphone after playing bongos? Like she might not get to it it in time. :eek:

The sax player is incredible.

Thanks for checking it out Eric! Yup that band is a pleasure to play with, everyone's real solid and the sax player is our secret weapon, she also plays flute, percussion and all the crazy-high harmonies.

Rich Forman

Not sure I know what you mean, can you describe it a little more, and where it is? Either way no, I think this about as far as I tried to take it.

Rich Forman

Archived