Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos Users: A Quick Opinion Please?

CowboyNQ

Hey Kronites,

One of my bands is doing a FIFO corporate gig. Backline will be a Kronos. I've never used one before except a quick fiddle in a music shop.

I normally use a Krome and have all sorts of sounds and combis programmed into it. I'm also quite capable at navigating around it on the fly. This said, I will have zero time to familiarise myself with the Kronos before the gig, so any sort of pre-programming is not an option.

Currently I see my options as the following:

a) Pull down the PDF manual of the Kronos and do a bit of study so I can navigate my way to the pre-programmed sounds. I'll be needing things like piano, organ, EP, sawtooth pads, sync leads, square leads, distorted guitar, brass, strings. Maybe back this up with a visit to my local music shop to get a little more familiar with basic navigation.

b) Just take the Krome (really don't want to do this).

OK, now I've got the context out of the way, I would love your opinion on how realistic you think option a) is. I am aware the Kronos is a complex and powerful beast and I wonder if I'm kidding myself.

Cheers!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being familiar with, and finding sounds is not a big deal. But if you need to do any more complex combis with a number of splits and/or layers with specific effects, that may Ben more problematic.

See what version of Kronos it is (1, X, or 2). That will determine patch locations. Try to make sure it is the latest OS. Go to a music store or visit a friend with a Kronos, bring a USB stick and set up all of your patches and combis along with a set list. Save all as a PCG file and load it in the back line Kronos when you get there.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I do not own a Kronos but I've played it enough to know that it's not a KB I would backline especially if the gig required customized sounds, splits, layers, combis, etc.

Unless you can get the stars to align perfectly by giving access to a Kronos, set it up and save the results to a file to be loaded into the backlined Kronos...

Brotha Dan already addressed it. :D

I say bite the bullet and take your Krome. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Being familiar with, and finding sounds is not a big deal. But if you need to do any more complex combis with a number of splits and/or layers with specific effects, that may Ben more problematic.

Thanks Dan - very much what I hoped/expected to hear!

Sadly due to my schedule I simply won't have time to do any kind of pre-programming of combis even here at home, given the work effort that I expect to be involved. I've made a call that the fidelity of my sounds will simply have to be sub-optimal, and the band will have to live with it. I've already spoken to BL and he's 100% cool with that.

Good news is 75% of what I play is piano/organ.

I do not own a Kronos but I've played it enough to know that it's not a KB I would backline especially if the gig required customized sounds, splits, layers, combis, etc.

I say bite the bullet and take your Krome. :cool:

Cheers ProfD. Appreciate the insight, makes perfect sense.

A lot of your Krome experience will carry over. But I agree with the other posts, you want a little hands-on ahead of time for anything but the most simple patch selection. If you can't manage it any other way, does the gig pay enough to justify your renting one for a day or two at home before you go?

This is the kind of thing where it pays to have an at least "good enough" setup on a laptop or tablet or rack module that you can run from whatever board is supplied, even if only as a backup plan.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

A lot of your Krome experience will carry over. But I agree with the other posts, you want a little hands-on ahead of time for anything but the most simple patch selection. If you can't manage it any other way, does the gig pay enough to justify your renting one for a day or two at home before you go?

Thanks Scott,

Actually it does, but time rather than $$$ is against me. Simple patch selection will be fine provided I can find the patches! I will put in some prep of course but only from a navigational, not programming, point of view.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I'll be needing things like piano, organ, EP, sawtooth pads, sync leads, square leads, distorted guitar, brass, strings.

I see that some of these sound categories are plural, but since you are willing to make compromises, all you need are nine sounds. And if 75% is piano/organ, you can do this!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I see that some of these sound categories are plural, but since you are willing to make compromises, all you need are nine sounds. And if 75% is piano/organ, you can do this!

Thanks Moonglow. Poor written English on my part - one of each of the above will definitely be good enough.

Happy to chat on phone about Kronos if you get stuck :) I find navigating sound choices pretty damn good - you should find what you need pretty quickly :thu:

Operators standing by! Love it - thanks David you're a champion. Reading all the commentary thus far I'm becoming more and more confident I won't have a drama so hopefully won't need 1-800-NURSERS.

Kronos rules. The Categories menu at the top of the display is your friend.

Brilliant thanks Dave.

Find a sound you like, select ADD TO SET LIST. In short order, you'll have all the sounds you need for the night on one page.

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can get that up and running during sound check. I have heard good things about "set list" mode. Cheers Busch.

Happy to chat on phone about Kronos if you get stuck :) I find navigating sound choices pretty damn good - you should find what you need pretty quickly :thu:

Operators standing by! Love it - thanks David you're a champion. Reading all the commentary thus far I'm becoming more and more confident I won't have a drama so hopefully won't need 1-800-NURSERS.

:D:D

Find a sound you like, select ADD TO SET LIST. In short order, you'll have all the sounds you need for the night on one page.

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can get that up and running during sound check. I have heard good things about "set list" mode. Cheers Busch.

Important thing to know: SAVE your Set List when you make changes.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you only need a few sounds from a few different categories, I wouldn't worry about the set list. Go into program mode, use the categories drop down and pick the category from there, and then you'll see the lists of sounds. You'd probably have enough time to pick what you need and take notes on the location.

Otherwise, I'd take your Krome since you are familiar with it and know where all the sounds are.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Important thing to know: SAVE your Set List when you make changes.

Cool good to know thanks Scott. Krome is similar in that if you don't write your changes to Progs/Combis they're instantly lost when you jump out and back in to the sound.

Go into program mode, use the categories drop down and pick the category from there, and then you'll see the lists of sounds. You'd probably have enough time to pick what you need and take notes on the location.

Yep sounds easy enough - thanks Dan. Again not dissimilar to the Krome navigational architecture by the sound of it, although possibly laid out differently.

I'm really not keen on taking the Krome due to the BS and risk of lugging the thing literally half way across the country for one 90 minute set where the audience will be too drunk to care what I'm playing.

Plus I'm looking forward to having a bash on the Kronos. It's not like I'll be using its capabilities anywhere near properly but it will be fun to try a new keyboard nonetheless.

Reading everyone's helpful thoughts and insights above has reduced my stress level about using this keyboard to about zero. Provided I do the right thing and prepare as professionally as my time constraints will allow me, I think all will be well.

Thanks all, I really do appreciate it.

It depends on how much time you have with it before the show. You don't want to be live on stage searching for the "right" organ sound. If you have time to build set list, use the Kronos. If not, take your keyboard.

Totally agree, thanks for pointing this out. The fact is I don't actually know how much play time I'll have with the thing, it depends on too many variables, so I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst. However I reckon I'll be fine based upon the commentary thus far. It just doesn't seem that difficult to select patches, and if I have time to use set list mode, so much the better!

Bear in mind I usually play organ on a Krome. Bar not set terribly high for organ sound quality. No disrespect intended, I do love my little Krome. But if the Kronos can grant me a tonewheel and a transistor from somewhere within its murky depths, I feel it will be more than good enough for this little black duck!

Also keep in mind that the control surface is pretty good and many of the sounds are driven by actual modelling engines, not just samples. So for instance, an organ sound is driven by the CX3 engine. So if it isn't exactly right and you have "tone adjust" selected, the sliders are your drawbars and buttons are assigned to C/V, leslie fast/slow/stop, etc. The control screen shows you the slider, button, and knob assignments for the selected sound.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For single sounds at a time, even having no prior experience, I don't think you can get much easier than the Korg, just go to the Categories screen and they're all right there, there are many choices within each and they sound really good, you can't go too wrong. For splits, I've never gotten around or bothered to upgrading my K2 to the new operating system but I understand that with the new OS, creating two-way splits is really fast and easy as well.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Thanks Dan, Ed and Rich!

Dan - Yep makes perfect sense. I'm sure the modelled CX3 in the Kronos will sound quite a bit nicer than the sampled CX3 in my Krome (which is still good enough for my humble purposes).

Ed - Yes I'm feeling very confident that we'll make this work without much fuss now. As Scott said earlier, I think my extensive Krome experience will stand me in good stead as the navigation philosophy sounds very similar.

Rich - Excellent feedback and advice, thank you! I won't even bother with splits I can get through this gig without them. Looking forward to the Kronos' smooth sound transition too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived