Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For You Voyager Owners...

Markyboard

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you fix yours again Mark? You said you fried it!

Coincidentally it was just the right side audio out switching jack which was flakey. If that spring contact doesn't fully disengage when a plug in inserted it can cause the audio to drop out depending on signal level. I was concerned that using a mono plug in the headphone jack caused this but turns out mine was updated at some point with the correct current limiting resistors to prevent this. Oh well, it got me to stock up on spares for just about every IC used. I'lm into this one for the long haul.

Still terrified of modding mine as I love how it sounds; I'd need a spare to experiment on. Anyone bored of theirs and want to loan it out? :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I got to be honest and say that T&F distortion sounds kind of tame. Maybe over the last week or so my ears have gotten acclimated to heavier doses of thrash. As I said just doing the feedback thing in the Voyager alone doesn't get you there and tbh is kind of boring. I'd be curious if you ran a feedback loop and used it in conjunction with the T&F how that might sound. You have to find that sweet spot where the amount of feedback just starts to go out of control. This seems to wake up my Empress distortion and may do similar with the T&F. I doubt the circuits used are all that unique. It is much more effective on lower frequency content sounds with the right amount of resonance as seems to be the case with the T&F demo.

Btw if you do try this use the Voyager headphone output, not the audio outs. But make sure you use a TRS to TS cable or an insert cable.

Edit: I will post a short sound demo in a few days

I like my MIDIMurf on the Mixer insert of the Voyager.

Yeah but you miss out on the stereo effect which is really cool. Until this latest overdrive configuration I was running a mixer send to the Murf which allows anything to drive it. That cable is still hanging - unconnected for the time being but easily swapped in.

I got to be honest and say that T&F distortion sounds kind of tame. Maybe over the last week or so my ears have gotten acclimated to heavier doses of thrash.

The TF&W is meant to add subtle saturation to an organ tone. If you want more, get the Organ Grinder.

Also to be noted, I had the master volume of the Voyager at maybe 12 o'clock. I could've pushed it harder.

Jim, do you find there's an ideal level for gain staging, or is it per patch? And also, based on whether you have effects in the chain or not, ahead of the DI pre-amp input?

I did some tests earlier this year on a number of patches, comparing different combinations of Voyager output levels with input gain on my True Precision 8 mic pre-amp using its super-high-quality DI's on channels 7 and 8, and the differences were subtle but I think I concluded that I got a bit more detail and dynamics to the overall sound if setting the Voyager master volume between 8 and 10, depending on the patch.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So would that be a fried moog, or a poached moog? It certainly ain't over easy!

Early on in this effort I thought it was literally a deep fried Moog. Never the less this should help you cut through those flute dominated arrangements. :pop::D

Archived