Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The "new" GPlayer

d  halfnote

A few months back New Bay Media got new corporate owners.

There was a brief semi-panic here abt whether this site would continue, along w/ some comments abt the (apparent) sudden dismissal of Mike Molenda.

Periodically I post a list of current content in the mag, which seems to never get any play ["oh, that sounds interesting" or etc].

Recently, mentioning in another thread, that an artist had just gotten some coverage in GP this was posted by a new member (& one that seems cool so this isn't a criticism of that person).

I don't read the mag...

You should.

W/all due respect to Mike Molenda, GPlayer has taken some editorial turns in the past few months that bode well for its future.

I think the new corporate owners may be committed to bringing it up to the sales level of companion mag Gtr World w/out compromising it's range of coverage.

Longer articles (though not up to the epic interviews of The Olden Days), expanded Frets section, etc.

If nothing else, we should at least, I think, take some steps to support that (& let them know what we like or don't) rather than just piling up here to yak at each other... after all if they don't have success, this place could be no place.

If ya wanna talk the talk sometimes ya gotta walk the walk...or somethin' like that. :D

What say ye ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Faithful subscriber for a decade-plus at this point, though I have a couple of month's issues on my coffee table that I haven't had the chance to even open, yet... but I like it.

Likewise, I have had several issues come in the mail, that I haven't even perused yet at all! Simply my schedule of late. (I've even bookmarked some of your threads on monthly GP, b, so that when I EVENTUALLY read dem redes, I'll be able to topically reply! :crazy: )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Never subscribed, but would pick up a copy now and then. But the place I used to get 'em stopped carrying them (AND GW) and all my back issues perished in a major flood in my basement a dozen years ago. :cry:

Always liked to see what was featured on the back page, too. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I've been subscribing since the mid-1990's, was reading it long before that. So far, I've been enjoying the 'new' GP. I'm not always interested in the cover artist, but there's always something in the magazine that I am interested in or intrigued by.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'll check out and buy a new copy at the news stand to support the team now and then. I stopped subscribing as I can't keep up with all of my reading, TV, Radio and internet news material. Same thing goes with the local news paper, I just pick up a copy at the news stand when the Friday issue comes out... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

FWIW, my intent's not to boost subscriptions.

I think it's fine & reasonable to read a copy at the local library (many have subscriptions) or while dilly-dallying at Barnes & IgNoble, etc.

I do think it's worth the time to contact them directly (new editor Chris.Scapelliti@futurenet.com has invited such) to offer feedback as they proceed---that's how we might reinforce editorial planning & possibly even help direct it.

Note that there are multiple editorial roles:

senior ed arthurthompson@futurenet.com

art ed rosie.webber@...

lessons ed james.brown@...

gear editor & vid contributor Dave Hunter [dhunterwordsmusic@yahoo.com

& others listed in the 2 flyleafs near the front of each issue.

These ppl do respond to ideas & sometimes would like to know if what they do is valued.

Give 'em a pat on the back once in a while, just like you would in any reciprocal situation, & maybe get more traction for your suggestions/ideas than just bemoaning the state of the world. :taz::facepalm::D

Much as I dislike FBook, TwitSwirl, etc, it may also be worth the time to dip into the modern social media scene so as not seem like a buncha set-in-our-ways oldtimers who just wanna gab here but have little active presence in the modern world & therefore can be safely ignored by those who are job-required to make some decisions based on economic criteria, not solely what's valid artistically.

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

I've been a subscriber to GP for about the last 20 years. For $22 a year, it's a worthwhile investment for me. I haven't been impressed by the new format. How can I be? It has less material, more ads and questionable articles. I did renew for next year. I received a 2 for 1nsy and sent to a friend for a Christmas gift. I'll see if the mag improves next year. This last month's edition had articles of Hendrix in London (front cover) and Zappa. Two of my favorite artists. But there was nothing new. All old recycled material. I'm encouraged, somewhat, of coverage of less known artists. I'll give it another year.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

...I haven't been impressed by the new format. How can I be? It has less material, more ads and questionable articles...there was nothing new. All old recycled material.

What months are ya looking at. :idk

In the past 3 months (since new ed) articles, while not as long as back in the hey-day, have been longer than before.

Again, I make my point that to improve something we might need to be pro-active.

d=halfnote

I've been a subscriber to GP for about the last 20 years. For $22 a year, it's a worthwhile investment for me. I haven't been impressed by the new format. How can I be? It has less material, more ads and questionable articles. I did renew for next year. I received a 2 for 1nsy and sent to a friend for a Christmas gift. I'll see if the mag improves next year. This last month's edition had articles of Hendrix in London (front cover) and Zappa. Two of my favorite artists. But there was nothing new. All old recycled material. I'm encouraged, somewhat, of coverage of less known artists. I'll give it another year.

Just got a look at the new issue to which Delta referred.

[Holiday issue 2018 / $6.50 retail]

I see the point in regard to the Zappa story, at least somewhat.

It's an overview of his career e/some specific citations.

On the other hand, the Hendrix story is actually abt a brand new book by long-time ealy staffer Jas Obrecht, which covers the early days of JH's time in England up to his appearance at the Monterrey Fest & seems to do so in detail & w/info that is either new or little known.

There are also several other players featured.

I point out, again, that each issue is including slightly longer, multi-page articles than in recent years & continues to have detailed analyses of specific artist styles & techniques.

d=halfnote

Archived