Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most Cringe-Worthy Synth Sound Live

Synthoid

I came across this recently. Definitely one sour synth sound.

Not too bad when mixed in the background, but by itself... yuck. Kinda sounds like electric hair clippers.

[video:youtube]

Anyone else have a "favorite" in this category?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Wurtz is the continuator of that school :)

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I used to have a live recording of Emerson, Lake & Powell doing "Touch and Go," with that huge, ballsy synth brass sound. Sounded great, until... the last time around Keith decided to play the line up an octave. Apparently that was the octave where that sound changed from "huge and ballsy" to "anemic, piercing and cringe-worthy." It was seriously painful.

That's cringe-worthy guitar. :pop:

No, it isn't.

The digital playback device for the synth track was accidentally set to 48k, not 44.1. There was no way Eddie was gonna find that key. :idk:

dB

That was a nightmare.

Only train wreck I saw worse then that was when Brandscomb Richmond successful actor who sings really well, was playing their 100th Series Of Renegade where he was Lorenzo Llamass partner.

That were gigging in Vegas and everybody was there.

But suddenly Wayne Newton came up to sit in on Johnny B. Good.

He told everyone the key of A but started in A flat instead, the band tried to find him, then he found A while they were on A flat, just total embarrassment for everyone.

Thankfully I played Guitar as a kid until I heard Keith Emerson, so I can look at the fretboard for situations like that.

Actually my guitarist sometimes starts Move Like Jagger a half step low, and I wont come in with the Whistle until he works his way back to the real key.

The Van Halen tour above was all around difficult. They paid outrageous money, my old FOH started the tour, huge pay but the guy has patents for IEMs so he didnt need the money, but the drama between the band was so bad they went through crew members like McDonalds goes through burger flippers.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I once played with a vocalist who dabbled a bit in guitar.

He was not afraid to try technology at gigs but never really seemed to get the best out of it. Example: I remember he was using a TC Helicon vocal processor one gig and somehow he had the thing sounding so bad that the sound guy pleaded with us to turn it off at half time, and one audience member threatened him (via me, scarily) with physical violence.

Anyway, he had some Roland guitar synth sound module thing that he tried for a few gigs. The lead sounds that he got out of it were...um...what's the opposite to "phat"? "Phin", maybe?

Hard to describe except to say that these sounds would have had to run around in the shower to get wet.

I'm willing to give Roland a mulligan on this one - I'm pretty sure he had no idea how to use the thing.

[video:youtube]YQtpcESUEKM

Sure, anyone would love to play one tenth as well as Chick and Herbie, but this doesn't measure up to the tastefulness displayed elsewhere in their careers . The Moog and Rhodes aren't bad but rest of the sounds don't sit together.

I am not concerned of synth sounds from 25-40 yrs ago. There were a few decades of experimentation and sometimes somewhat cheesy sounds got recorded.

I am more annoyed by what passes for creativity and or skill on synths on todays delightfully creative and wonderfullly skillful pop music.

Here's an example and my grandpa rant follows:

I disregard the cartoon video. I lost interest in cartoons at 6 yrs of age,

I focus on music- thats #1

mr Malone or his wise producers is running his mediocre vocal thru 'pitch correction ' software and/or a vocoder.

this ' robotic voice' Fx came out 15 years ago. It was lame then and to my ears, its more than lame now.

I much prefer a talented vocalist who can hit notes, have interesting tone and not rely on some trick to mask lack of/ or mediocre skill.

Songs with over produced 'phony vocal ' tracks do nothing for me .

I know listeners 'like ' the robotic/synthesized vocal. I can not relate to that.

The music- in addition to a drum machine, I detect 4 simple synthesizer tracks with a dose of FX.

These are not demanding to play, in that they are repetitive and sit in the mix.

I call this ' copy/paste' synthesizer work. Likely Malone and his production partner

messed around with simple synth parts until they got the glossy burpy- bleep bleep vibe

they heard in their heads.

Again, some like copy paste synth tracks. I understand some hope to get the studio work and pay some bills. My assertion is not much creative keyboard work going on.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The edgy, TURN-IT-OFF! 60-cycle hum joke floppy shown to me by an Ensoniq rep at a show. He called it "Roadie's Revenge." You can just see the keys guy scrambling to find the bad connection. If you listen closely, right before the loop point, you can hear him punching a laughing roadie in the mouth. Good times! :roll:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Ironically, probably the original example was one of the least cringeworthy. The Cure tone isn't awesome, but it sorta works in context, and they kind of own it. Herbie's Keytar sound is just AWFUL, though I had no trouble with Chick's (other than the attack on the his lead being a little flaccid for my taste). The Jump fiasco is just hilarious.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

"Jump" in the wrong key -- it happened! :-)

I love The Cure's sounds in "Love Song" and all of "Fascination Street" (plus the earlier stuff) and have successfully done a mimic of a few of those sounds as they were so inspiring for me.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Just to lay my cards out on the table -- and forgive me, because I'm sure at least a few of the members here stand by how undeniably iconic it is -- I think the Jump synth part is cringe-worthy even when it's in the correct key. I just feel like the sample-rate fiasco (and Diamond Dave riding around on an inflatable microphone) takes it all the way to Ludicrous Speed.

That said, I love playing the damn thing. I used to do it to torture a drummer friend. Worked every time -- and the more accurate the patch, the more effective it was. :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I just feel like the sample-rate fiasco (and Diamond Dave riding around on an inflatable microphone) takes it all the way to Ludicrous Speed.

Every time I watch that Greensboro thing, what strikes me as the most bizarre is how no-one in the audience seems to be overly concerned with how bad it sounds.

Perhaps not so bizarre? It does reinforce my theory that most people who go to rock concerts don't actually listen to the music - they just think they do!

Hey, Linda McCartney's Moog synth sounds are amongst my favourites, and ones I aim for in my own synth patch programming. Everyone has their own tastes, of course. I love the first posting too; great performance besides, and that raw synth sound adds some grit under a sparse instrumental backing that is basically lacking a lead guitar (vs. rhythm guitar or harmony guitar). Robert Smith's voice sounds fantastic through that Sennheiser MD441 mic. Surprised they could afford one then!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived