Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the best forum to sell a keyboard?

Imagine

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing for sure, Ebay is NOT the way to go. They insist buyers and sellers use Pay Pal. In addition to rip off rates, the last thing I was selling on Ebay had Paypal holding my money for 3 weeks before I could get it.

The Ebay-Paypal system is a scam. I was selling an original Roland CE-1 Chorus unit. He paid the money into Paypal and when I tried to get it, they told me I couldn't get my finds for 21 days. So I emailed the buyer and told him I was returning his money and I was not shipping the unit to him. He was upset. I told him to talk to Pay Pal, I am not in the business of financing companies interest free.

I've tried other For Sale website, but you have to be very careful. There are a lot more thieves out there than actual buyers.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

reverb.com is still 3%.

paypal releases money more quickly after you're slightly established.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That may be. But my reasoning remains the same. I don't have a problem paying a reasonable fee for a service. But Ebay-paypal were double dipping.

I am looking elsewhere. I have things I'd like to sell.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'd start at Craigslist for local sale - if you get lucky you avoid all the complexities of electronic payment, fees, shipping ... etc. Depends on how big a hurry.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

One thing for sure, Ebay is NOT the way to go. They insist buyers and sellers use Pay Pal. In addition to rip off rates, the last thing I was selling on Ebay had Paypal holding my money for 3 weeks before I could get it.

The Ebay-Paypal system is a scam. I was selling an original Roland CE-1 Chorus unit. He paid the money into Paypal and when I tried to get it, they told me I couldn't get my finds for 21 days. So I emailed the buyer and told him I was returning his money and I was not shipping the unit to him. He was upset. I told him to talk to Pay Pal, I am not in the business of financing companies interest free.

I've tried other For Sale website, but you have to be very careful. There are a lot more thieves out there than actual buyers.

Mike T.

In defense of eBay, I just had a deal go sour on me. I won an auction for a keyboard about a month ago. A notice came in saying that the package had shipped via USPS. Seemed like an odd choice of carrier for a heavy, bulky item, but whatever. The day came and the mail carrier came down the driveway. He pops out with an envelope. An envelope...not a box. Like, an envelope suitable for sending 8.5" x 11" paperwork. The return address on the thing was different from the (presumed) origin of the keyboard, so I didn't associate it with the keyboard and signed for it. I asked the carrier if there was a box for me. He said no, but a bunch of stuff had come in as he was leaving, so it was possible that he'd be making another run out to see me later (keep in mind that they have until 8PM to deliver packages).

Turned out the envelope was it. The "keyboard." Same tracking number (not legible unless you can read bar codes). I got in contact with eBay and they locked down the transaction. In the end, the miscreant got no money and I got every penny back, including shipping. I'd always wondered why they sat on the money. It's so they don't shell out bucks to scammers.

No, I don't really like eBay or PayPal, but they have their uses.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I think Reverb is up over 5% if you add the two fees together.

I usually count on "real" gear from "real" musicians there though, so it's the first place I look (meaning, that's the kind of buyer you can expect too). If it's something a little more standard--like my current search for a good weighted controller--I'll check craigslist and offerup first (which means, that's the kind of buyer you'll find there).

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

A big reason people use pay services is because they want to pay with a credit card. The credit card companies take a fee. If reverb/paypal/whoever is taking <3% payment processing fee, remember that probably a good half of it is going to the credit card company.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I used Reverb. Account for fees (and shipping, if you advertise free shipping) in your price. It gave me a bit more peace of mind than CL, which I hate, and I got no bites here (my first choice).

Also, this probably is very few people, but if you have a day job at a place that ships things, see if they'll ship it for you :) My work gave me a giant discount on fedex, and they packed it for me. Not trivial when you are talking a 76 note keyboard in a case.

Reverb has its own payment system if you want to avoid PayPal.

Transaction Fee

As a seller, Reverb charges you 3.5% of the total sale amount (including shipping) after your item has sold.

The minimum USD fee is $0.50 and the maximum USD fee is $350. For example, if you sell a $15,000 guitar, we limit your transaction fee to only $350

Reverb Payments

Reverb offers a convenient built-in payment method called Reverb Payments. The seller fee for Reverb Payments payment processing is $0.25 plus 2.7% of transaction total. For Reverb Preferred Sellers, the fee is $0.25 plus 2.5% of transaction total.

PayPal

When you accept payments via PayPal, a fee may be deducted from the total amount transferred to your PayPal account. For most sellers this fee is $0.30 plus 2.9%.

Note: This is a fee that PayPal charges for its payment service separate from your Reverb fees.

https://reverb.com/page/seller-fees

1) With eBay, in addition to PayPal fees, you also have to pay eBay's auction fees. These fees in total are much higher than Reverb's total fees

2) Lord help you if you have any sort of payment issue with PayPal. It's well nigh impossible to reach anyone except by email, and that person is not empowered to deviate from their script. Reverb, on the other hand, has a live chat window staffed with an actual human with actual discretionary power. I sold a keyboard that get damaged in shipping and Reverb reimbursed the buyer for repairs made at an authorized dealer, with a minimum of muss and fuss. This alone makes Reverb the clear winner.

Up here, Kijiji is miles ahead. Much better interface.

I don't really see gross problems with Craigslist as a platform, the problem is that tons of scammers have chosen to invade it. How does Kijiji stop scammers? Or is it just that there's fewer of them preying in Canadians. Probably because y'all are so nice.

edit: Ah. I'm guessing that Kijiji requires registration to use the site.

Craiglist and scammers go hand in hand. I remember reading sometime ago that someone was selling a car via Craiglist. The owner met the buyers somewhere, they killed him and stole the car. They got caught and went to prison, but the car owner went to the cemetery.

The main issue for me when selling anything is I want the money in my hands before giving what I'm selling to anyone. There are too many scammers, so I don't budge. Cash, take the unit and good bye.

A dead give-away is when the potential buy tries to change my criteria for selling the unit I have for sale.

Recently I listed a set of speakers for sale on a regional website site. I specifically stated not to contact me with a TEXT Message, NO TEXT. Apparently Text messages cannot be traced as easily as phone calls, not sure.

I have received TEXT messages from people whose phone numbers were nowhere in my state or within reasonable driving distance. Shipping is NOT an option, and would not be cost affected even if it were a legit buying, which it wasn't. I told him to get lost.

Mike T.

Craigslist is fine if you know what you're doing. There have been several threads here about what to look out for and what scams people have tried, like "is this item still available?" and "I don't live there but I'll send you a cashier's check." I've done mostly fine with CL, met in public places, etc.

I've sold a bunch of gear via Reverb but shipping some stuff costs an arm and a leg, so you have to make sure your shipping charge will cover it. That's a heavy keyboard so the shipping charge might kill the discount the buyer would get buying used unless you're willing to go low enough to make their final price a good deal.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I sold a NE2 on reverb.com. It went very smoothly.

My issue with using their payment system is having bank account information saved on their servers. IIRC, this was around the time of a major data breach. I requested that they delete the info and they said they did so.

And second the suggestion that you should be sure to know what the shipping cost is going to be ahead of time.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Up here, Kijiji is miles ahead. Much better interface.

+1.

I just sold 2 keyboards on Kijiji 2 weeks ago. They have a messaging / texting service which gets anonymized through their servers (which still allows a potential scammer to hide digitally), but it allows for relatively easy back-and-forth 'texting' which makes it easy to gauge the interest of the responder to your item and weed out the generic "I am interested in your product" responses.

Kijiji was bought by ebay many years back. I don't understand why they haven't extended the market to the USA as it's a far superior platform to Craigslist.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I remember reading sometime ago that someone was selling a car via Craiglist. The owner met the buyers somewhere, they killed him and stole the car. They got caught and went to prison, but the car owner went to the cemetery.

Somewhat OT: This actually happened in Canada on kijiji (not sure if it's the same case as you're thinking about or another); the two convicted were eventually convicted of another murder in an unrelated case.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Another vote for Reverb. It's been great for me. Knock on wood.

I still surf eBay too. A wider selection of gear. The auction part of it is still fun.

But, when I'm ready to sell an item, it goes to KC classifieds, Reverb and eBay in that order. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have purchased and sold many keyboards on Reverb. I only had one experience that was not ideal. Keyboard arrived smelling like smoke. I have had great experiences selling. It is very convenient and items move quickly if priced right.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I would like to use KC classifieds. The problem is, 99% of members live in the U.S., and I live in the U.K.!
Still worth a try. I'm in the UK and I came close to buying something from the US last year. Shipping was extortionate unfortunately.

Cheers, Mike.

Archived